IGNORED

Why AE is better than AFX

Guest Audiophile

i didnt mean to sound as negative about autechre as how it came across in the post above

like a lot of people , most of my electronic music knowledge all stems from Aphex twin and his associations. When i first heard any other electronic music i would always inevitably compare it to Aphex, because at the time he was almost a literal god to me. It took me a while as a music fan in the early days of IDMto look at acts like Squarepusher, Cylob, Autechre on their own merit, i would always for some reason see them as followers and improvers on the Aphex twin sound. I no longer see it that way, i think Autechre has definitely come out on top as far as creativity goes looking back on it.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to further expand on the 12 years in between discovering kraftwerk then aphex... i was only attracted to music with electronics (such as industrial, synthpop stuff, house, and techno) and beats (hip hop)... which explains why i never was to rock music... some bands have leaked over that i do like and i still do to this day... but rock music as a whole never interested me! i guess you can say (and it's just me saying this) that i find rock music very neandertholish!

There is nothing in Richard music that makes me think of Autechre. And vice-versa.

But both Autechre guys, in terms of music business, have stayed the conservative road in terms of releases. It's really standard, a full album each 2 years or so, no compilation, LP's in between full-length for most of their career.

I agree. What about Boards Of Canada then :D

oh wow

Boards of Canada are like lazy stoners who don't care about bein' better.

But yeah...in the end, I like Autechre because the music ends up being a more focused experience, each album creates a narrative, compared to most RDJ albums where we get lots of tracks which don't seem to follow a procession (not always the case, but I can't say that any RDJ albums end up 'evolving' as they go...now compare that to Confield, which I think has some of the best track organization of any album.)

I drove 4 hours to see AE and i was sorely disappointed.

sorely.

If you're havin' gig problems I feel bad for you, son.

I got 99 problems but AE ain't one.

I drove 4 hours to see AE and i was sorely disappointed.

sorely.

If you're havin' gig problems I feel bad for you, son.

I got 99 problems but AE ain't one.

lol

they were probably just pissed that they had to be in texas

Interesting. No Autechre sounds at all like Aphex to me. In fact, from Tri Repetae on, I can't think of anything that sounds like Autechre. A couple of Richard Devine things sound like Autechre, but the chords and melodies don't quite have that Autechre sound. I mean, I have heard a lot of things that try to sound like Autechre, but don't really make it.

Up until Untilted, I could probably recognize an Autechre melody/chord progression as Autechre on the first time hearing it. They are getting it back in their live sets though.

I mean SAW came out 92 and Incunabula out in 93, but Incunabula sounds a lot more advanced to me. Plus, I don't know how anyone could say that any Autechre track sounds like Hangable Auto Bulb. Least of all anything off of Cichlisuite.

I am with Philip Glass, they sound completely unrelated to me, except in the general sense that they started using computers around 96 or 96 and went back to hardware around 04. But it is not like Aphex computer albums and Autechre computer albums sound anything alike at all. Same goes for the hardware stuff.

Hey Philip Glass, how is Autechre conservative in the music buisness? Not releasing compilations seems to go against industry standard. Plus, I mean, when they released Confield, they effectively split the electronic music world in half.

Guest Enter a new display name

Sorry for my poor gear knowledge, but I didn't know that Autechre got back to hardwares in Untilted! The general sound of their last album seemed so different to me compared with Confield and Draft 7.30, though. I did notice a difference in their production method.

Yeah my point was about the first poster talking about Richard releasing under different aliases, weird releases, etc... compared to Autechre, which are more traditional in their release (each 2 years, LP in between for their entire career almost). I'm not judging, I'd say both work to their advantages. We crave a new autechre as much as a new AFX.

That's why I see no reason to compare any of the "big four". There is absolutely nothing comparable between any of them, if it's not that they are all artists that create electronic music.

Another pointless Featured Artist top post

there's at least one track where ae sounds like afx: their remix of seefeels spangle. it could be taken right off of a saw album.

ae better than afx? where's the tongue in cheek? it's a joke right? RIGHT?

Autechre track sounds like Hangable Auto Bulb. Least of all anything off of Cichlisuite.

the techniques of stuttered programmed drums especially the rolling straight to triplet tricks they do constantly on Chichlisuite i think are pretty heavily inspired by Aphex. The result sounds very different, but i think the linkage is very apparant. The song Yellow Calx off the RDJ album for example, which came out in 1995 , sounds like it inspired quite heavily the track Yeesland off Chichli. Autechres first foray into this stutter heavy programming was actually on song 3 of Chiastic, Tewe which imo its pretty hard to deny the Hangable autobulb references. Like i said the results are different, and in my opinion are an improvement over APhex twin's techniques. Which if you even take it back further Aphex was probably inspired by the 'roll' features on some old drum machines and snare rushes already featured heavily in drum and bass music at the time. but overall I think its pretty difficult for any in the know electronic music producer at the time to say that Aphex twin did not inspire them on some level

Guest AWATDOD

thats total bollocks mate stop projecting

if anyones riding an anyones coat tails its you with your ridiculous website

ae been heavily influenced by mantronix and latin rascals who they credit on sleeve of artificial along with a bunch of other ny hip hop producers and editors, as they were by unique 3, pcp and padioactive lamb all of whom are well heavy on triplet editing. booth himself was an editor of hip hop mixtapes before meeting brown in 87. also later during the 90s they found the music of tod dockstader and parmegiani et al... its easier for me to see a connection between lukes gunshots and afx auto bulb than ae and afx

seeya have a nice day with your stupid (i love ae) obsession

thats total bollocks mate stop projecting

if anyones riding an anyones coat tails its you with your ridiculous website

ae been heavily influenced by mantronix and latin rascals who they credit on sleeve of artificial along with a bunch of other ny hip hop producers and editors, as they were by unique 3, pcp and padioactive lamb all of whom are well heavy on triplet editing. booth himself was an editor of hip hop mixtapes before meeting brown in 87. also later during the 90s they found the music of tod dockstader and parmegiani et al... its easier for me to see a connection between lukes gunshots and afx auto bulb than ae and afx

seeya have a nice day with your stupid (i love ae) obsession

sorry for hitting a nerve there :omg:

Guest Endoplasmic Reticulum

Seriously ae all the way. AE>Squarepusher>>>>>>AFX>BOC

Aphex Twin just seems a bit ordinary compared to ae. I don't fully understand all the rdj love, it just never got me the same way. Maybe its ae's hiphop roots or something, I dunno.

Just my opinion anyways, everyone's got different tastes. The autechre haters can just go back to the Tuss strokin' forum.

I dunno GBIII I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. While I am sure all of these Warp/Rephlex guys all listen to each other's musics and all are inspired by it in some fashion, I still don't think anything on Cichlisuite sounds like aphex at all except that they both use the retrigger/roll function. And in my opinion, Autechre's beats flow a lot better than Aphex's.

But I suppose for me it would go, Ae>Aphex>Pusher>BOC>Viberts>muziq. BOC might have been above or tied with Squarepusher if Campfire Headphase wasn't so disappointing. But I mean, out of all those, I think they all have their own pretty unique voices. With the possible exception of muziq which seems to take his own spin on a mix of Aphex and Squarepusher. But I don't really have that much Muziq though so I don't really know. I do definitely know that he has some melodies that are even catchier than aphex's. See Brace yourself Jason for evidence. And Hasty Boom Alert melody sounds a little squarepushery.

But in all seriousness, according to the watmm code of ethics, all those with incorrect opinions are subject to the label of "retard" and in extreme cases, "fag".

Archived