IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

"Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief"

By Lawrence Wright

I'm just starting this. It's pretty cool so far. I can already tell there's gonna be a ton of wtf-fucked-up-ednesss to come.

Ooh nice

You might also like "Bare-faced Messiah: The True Story of L Ron Hubbard" by Russell Miller. WTFs in droves

The Road

What do you think of it? I personally liked it, also has a great film adaptation. Been meaning to read more Cormac

I was just going to write it's the best book I have ever read.

It's really incredible. I'm definitely going to check out some more by Cormac McCarthy.

I really like the film adaption too. It's actually quite a underrated movie I think, also the reason I was interested in this book in the first place.

Edited by Ceerial

The Road isn't like the other McCarthy. It's minimalism for sure, like a lot of his other books, but It's all about the restrain. Blood Meridian is *the* book anybody needs to read by him.

Guest vletrmx

I'm reading "Why The West Rules For Now: The Patterns Of History And What They Reveal About The Future by Ian Morris, You Are Not A Gadget by Jaron Lanier, and Musicophilia: Tales Of Music And The Brain by Oliver Sacks." You know, just kinda occurred to me.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

The Road isn't like the other McCarthy. It's minimalism for sure, like a lot of his other books, but It's all about the restrain. Blood Meridian is *the* book anybody needs to read by him.

everyone seems to say blood meridian is his best but I plodded through that and didnt really connect with it much.

the road was good but my personal favorite was the first half of 'the crossing'. the stuff with the wolf was great but then i hated the 2nd half. so maybe favorite is the wrong word.

just realized i also plodded through suttree without much enjoyment too. i don't think i'm a cormac fan, despite thinking i was previously

Edited by Jimmy McMessageboard

I'm reading "Why The West Rules For Now: The Patterns Of History And What They Reveal About The Future by Ian Morris, You Are Not A Gadget by Jaron Lanier, and Musicophilia: Tales Of Music And The Brain by Oliver Sacks." You know, just kinda occurred to me.

lolzbocbocboclolz

The Road

What do you think of it? I personally liked it, also has a great film adaptation. Been meaning to read more Cormac

I was just going to write it's the best book I have ever read.

It's really incredible. I'm definitely going to check out some more by Cormac McCarthy.

I really like the film adaption too. It's actually quite a underrated movie I think, also the reason I was interested in this book in the first place.

I saw the film first and was really happy when my English class was assigned to read the book. The minimalism just fits so perfectly for a story like that i probably wouldn't say its my favorite book of all time but it's up there

I'm currently read the shining by stephen king and them by jon ronson.

the shining because I love the film and I wondered how the book was different. so far its more in depth (obviously) but not that different. enjoying.

I think I may be a bit late on reading them. extremism has come along way since the book was written. or maybe it hasn't. only 1 chapter in. the first guy made me think of four lions. been meaning to read this for ages as i"ve read everything else ronson wrote.

I was bullied into reading Skeleton Crew by Stephen King and have almost finished. There's a lot of fluff in between some pretty good short stories. After that, The Upanishads.

Guest Ron Manager

The more I think about Blood Meridian, the more I think it's one of the best books I've ever read. I'm going to re-read it soon. I recently finished All The Pretty Horses. I enjoyed it, and I think I'll continue on to the other two of this trilogy soon. I want to read Suttree too, per Iain's recommendation.

Now reading Dune. I've never read it...

The more I think about Blood Meridian, the more I think it's one of the best books I've ever read. I'm going to re-read it soon. I recently finished All The Pretty Horses. I enjoyed it, and I think I'll continue on to the other two of this trilogy soon. I want to read Suttree too, per Iain's recommendation.

Now reading Dune. I've never read it...

The entire Borders Trilogy was very good, imo, but The Crossing, particularly the first half, is outstanding. Apart from that, the only McCarthy I've read is The Road; I keep putting off Blood Meridian, I'm almost afraid of how good it's going to be.

Dune is very good. I need to read at least the rest of the original series, as I've only read the first book once through.

edit: I'm currently reading Bradbury's The Illustrated Man, and am enjoying it so far.

Edited by auxien

Guest Ron Manager

Blood Meridian is one of those books where it suddenly clicked for me. The first half of it I couldn't quite decide what I thought of it, but from a certain point maybe halfway through (don't think this is a spoiler, but when the gang seizes control of the ferry crossing), I just couldn't put it down. For whatever reason, I think it was at that point that I realised how desperate and depraved they had all become, and how raw the narrative was. Holden is one of the most amazing and terrifying characters I've ever encountered.

im about halfway through the crosing by cormac its ok, i think i liked pretty horses better. sometimes the spanish bits leave me a bit puzzled and the cowboy dudes never suck each other off but its ok

About half way through Capital by John Lanchester. I wanted another Have A Look At 21st Century London novel after finishing NW, but this is tedious wank. :sad:

Guest Iain C

About half way through Capital by John Lanchester. I wanted another Have A Look At 21st Century London novel after finishing NW, but this is tedious wank. :sad:

Read Hawthorne and Child by Keith Ridgway in that case

Read Hawthorne and Child by Keith Ridgway in that case

Thanks, this sounds promising.

Read 'Salem's Lot and The Stand while I was on holiday. There's something about Stephen King books that's like getting into a warm bath. They're just so readable and there's no pussying around the supernatural stuff, which some writers tend to do as though they're embarassed about writing about that sort of thing. His books are like China Mieville's in that you can just tell as you're reading them that he just really, really likes monsters and stuff and ain't ashamed to show it.