IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Guest Iain C

Anyway, I'm also reading the Dictionary of the Khazars. Just semi-randomly going through the entries trying to figure out the story.

That's the way to do it imho. Did you see my posts about it here? Watch out for the Islamic sections, they're evil and incompatible with the rest of the book.

Anyway, I'm also reading the Dictionary of the Khazars. Just semi-randomly going through the entries trying to figure out the story.

That's the way to do it imho. Did you see my posts about it here? Watch out for the Islamic sections, they're evil and incompatible with the rest of the book.

Yeah, I think it's because of your post that it was in my Amazon basket. Ordered it with the other books. :biggrin:

I bought it as used because there were no new copies in Amazon UK at the moment. It seems that it's actually a proof copy. It's a soft cover but has a dust jacket, underneath which is just plain blue covers and on the back cover reads "Uncorrected proof copy on proofing paper and the property of the publisher and not for sale." Adds nicely to the confusion, lol.

I think I also got a pirated book once from an used book seller at Amazon. The printing was shoddy and all the pictures had mysteriously turned to black and white..

Guest Ron Manager

finished The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner. wonderful read. the first 60 pages basically need to be re-read after you've finished it, but it's powerful stuff. unfortunately my copy didn't come with the appendix Faulkner later wrote, 'Compson Family: 1699-1945', so i had to track it down online. it provides an interesting epilogue to the book.

now reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. probably not the bag of most WATMMers, perhaps not mine either, but i love reading things about the Congo, so i thought i'd give this a try.

Guest zaphod

unfortunately my copy didn't come with the appendix Faulkner later wrote, 'Compson Family: 1699-1945',

faulkner just copy pasted wikipedia articles for that part, so you aren't missing much

Guest Ron Manager

yeah, it wasn't spectacular. but interesting just to see where he envisaged Jason and Caddy ending up (the latter meeting a somewhat bizarre fate...)

Guest Iain C

Picked up Dante´s Inferno recently, enjoying it so far. The writing is very visual, I like that.

It is an incredibly graphic work of literature. I love it. Actually I'm fascinated by any literary depiction of hell or afterlife punishments - so if anybody has any recommendations in that vein, send them along.

Guest disparaissant

finished nevada by imogen binnie, moved on to oryx and crake by margaret atwood.

also moved from prisoner of azkaban to goblet of fire. lol.

finished nevada by imogen binnie, moved on to oryx and crake by margaret atwood.

also moved from prisoner of azkaban to goblet of fire. lol.

Love oryx and crake, was the first Atwood I read.

Reading Neuromancer, definitely living up to it's reputation.

Guest Iain C

just finished no country for old men, jesus chris, first time a book has made me cry lol :/

gonna read franz kafka's in the penal colony. any good ?>

If you liked No Country I reckon you'd really enjoy some of McCarthy's other novels, I'm a big fan. Try Child of God if you want a short and fast read like No Country with added backwoods perversity, or Suttree if you want something longer, funnier and just as sad.

Kafka's a great choice too. If you like that short story, consider The Trial cause it's similar in tone. Or get his collected short works, you can find editions quite cheaply, he wrote a lot of brilliant sketches and short stories and I think most editions include his most famous story The Metamorphosis too.

i was debating buying Cloud Atlas the other day... no good? i haven't seen the film.

I thought it was medicore at best. Given the choice to undo that decision I would just watch the film.

Only 3 hours of my life would have been wasted then.

Edited by MadameChaos

Guest Ron Manager

the film just looks like The Fountain, basically, but i presume that's not the case. and i shouldn't judge by the cover, but the cast of Cloud Atlas isn't very appetizing...

i can't wait to read more McCarthy. i thought The Road was pretty good, but Blood Meridian blew me away. the more i think about it, the more i think it is a true modern-day classic. Suttree and No Country are both very high on my 'buy next' list.

Just finished 2001: A Space Odyssey

now onto

Blue Movie by Terry Southern

If you liked it you should follow up with the rest of the series. I just bought 2061 : Odyssey Three after finishing 2010 : Odyssey Two, and really looking forward to the rest of the story.