IGNORED

Is there a sequencer ...

zazen

turns out Reaper can do it, after a fashion ... you can open multiple MIDI editors at the same time.

thats cool cos I already have Reaper.

post-96-1222979909_thumb.jpg

.. although the multi-colour stuff that Cubase and Logic can do sounds much cooler...

I think energyXT will do the same also.

http://www.energy-xt.com/

looks quite good, and only 50 euros or something

anyone have experience of sequencing with this? might check it out...

Synapse Orion.

http://www.synapse-audio.com/orionplatinum.php

sounds good, $149 ... again, anyone got experience of this one?

i think youre far far better off with FL for that price

you can display ghost notes in FL piano roll which appear in faint in the background of the roll you are using

1 good thing about orion is that you can photoshop the loading splash screen and change the logo to say Onion Multibum pretty easily

then you can sneak this into the appropriate place on your mate's computer (the mate that solely uses orion for his productions)

and confuse him every time he loads it up

Guest Helper ET

why the fuck cant i do this in ableton?

yesterday i took a screen shot of one piano roll, opened it up in paint, made the window half the size of my monitor, and then made the ableton window the other half of my monitor, and opened up the second piano roll in ableoton, just so i could see two piano rolls at once

this is bullshit

Guest skullfunked

what the actual fuck, how did I not know that you could edit the midi parts in the sequencer bit in cubase?

this is the best thing to happen to me in a long time :yeah:

Guest hahathhat
why the fuck cant i do this in ableton?

yesterday i took a screen shot of one piano roll, opened it up in paint, made the window half the size of my monitor, and then made the ableton window the other half of my monitor, and opened up the second piano roll in ableoton, just so i could see two piano rolls at once

this is bullshit

o mywkeljthlfdjgl40 trew9rf esdhfjwm45rert w4hriuwher oihwiu roiuwehfroiuw eofuhwiue fowhe uouw h3894u 238 w8eu f98w ehf98whe f8 dfhuiwef hoheu fheufh s8ef e &c. &c.

what the actual fuck, how did I not know that you could edit the midi parts in the sequencer bit in cubase?

what

• 4 months later...

Going to give Cubase a try soon, I watched some tutorial vids on youtube last night when I was bored and saw that you were able to 'split' all those MIDI parts from one window to several individual windows as mentioned in this thread, I really like this idea.

turns out Reaper can do it, after a fashion ... you can open multiple MIDI editors at the same time.

thats cool cos I already have Reaper.

post-96-1222979909_thumb.jpg

.. although the multi-colour stuff that Cubase and Logic can do sounds much cooler...

I think energyXT will do the same also.

http://www.energy-xt.com/

looks quite good, and only 50 euros or something

anyone have experience of sequencing with this? might check it out...

energyXT is my main sequencer. Its a little fucked up in certain regards. To get the most out of it you have to use both versions. But yeah, I haven't found a replacement for it that fits my workflow.

Pro Tools 8 has a new midi editor that is pretty awesome.

You can view and hide all midi tracks in the piano roll midi editor. Very nice for comparing midi tracks and timing with other midi tracks. Color coded as well so you can distinguish between the different tracks.

But apart from that, you can see all your midi track piano rolls in one window (as well in several different views)... the main arrange window.

My 2cent's on Ableton Live. It's session view is definitely is strongest feature. Creating midi clips and arranging them vertically, chaining them is probably the fastest way I've ever gotten out ideas. I've several years experience with most DAW's (Logic, Cubase, Pro Tools, Live) and the session view is by far the most efficient for creating clips and laying down ideas really fast without too much fumbling around. Apart from that.... I think it's mix/arrange view is it's weakest point as well as its automation. Despite all that I still love Live, Logic, and Pro Tools. They just each excel indifferent area's.

strange, i found abletons clip view to be really a pain in the ass for making a track start to finish, i use it only for djing or turning a studio track into one better suited for playing live. i work almost enitrely in the arrange view and i find it to be pretty damn simple, i cant really see how it or its automation is "weak", arrange mode automation is some of the simplest ive ever used.

strange, i found abletons clip view to be really a pain in the ass for making a track start to finish, i use it only for djing or turning a studio track into one better suited for playing live. i work almost enitrely in the arrange view and i find it to be pretty damn simple, i cant really see how it or its automation is "weak", arrange mode automation is some of the simplest ive ever used.

sorry... let me rephrase...

i meant in terms of my personal workflow, didn't mean to come off sounding like one way or another applies to everyone. i think live's session view is unique when compared to other daw's that rely mostly on their piano roll and arrange view. personally, i prefer the arrange and piano roll view, have for years. a buddy of mine told me earlier today that he nearly doubled the number of songs he wrote in a year after starting to use live, which is what sparked my interest in it. i've also spent a good amount of time with live in a production approach and was able to find a workflow that sped up my songwriting. for a while, i'd create the main outline and structure of the song in live, then bounce the audio and import it into logic. it has its strength's in both production and performance... guess it just comes down to whether or not it works for you in any way.

*edit*

btw - here's how the piano rolls stack in various views in pt8

post-1099-1234934130_thumb.png

post-1099-1234934130_thumb.png

post-1099-1234934223_thumb.png

post-1099-1234934118_thumb.png

Logic will allow for you to:

open up seperate piano roll windows for each midi region you create.

double click in one piano roll editor which will make all other midi region events from other tracks appear in one window. (double click to show all midi events in all regions and double click again to see only the events on that particular channel or region)

otherwise, Pro Tools and Cubase will display it more according to what you are looking for. I think energyXT will do the same also.

this would be cool except that motherfucker does it all the time on accident.

I suppose it is handy, but it's a fucking irritation most of the time. It should be a button instead of some shit that can be done accidentally.

Logic's usability is utter shit dispite how powerful it can be.

double click in one piano roll editor which will make all other midi region events from other tracks appear in one window. (double click to show all midi events in all regions and double click again to see only the events on that particular channel or region)

otherwise, Pro Tools and Cubase will display it more according to what you are looking for. I think energyXT will do the same also.

I suppose it is handy, but it's a fucking irritation most of the time. It should be a button instead of some shit that can be done accidentally.

There's a setting in the preferences that let's you determine the action what "double clicking" a region. If that's what you are referring to happening on "accident". The only accident's I run into are mistakenly pressing a keyboard shortcut...or the stupid mighty mouse with its mind of its own.

Sorry to hear tho... I've found logic to be excellent and rarely have had any issues with it, yet 3 of my buddies all tried it out and have condemned me. well, except one... he uses it for its dynamics plugin's mainly now. They all are live users now. heh

Guest pantsonmyhead

ditto

jeesus

i thought i was a champ for figuring out the sidechaining in nuendo

friggen A+ 14 gold stars and an akward handjob

There's a setting in the preferences that let's you determine the action what "double clicking" a region. If that's what you are referring to happening on "accident". The only accident's I run into are mistakenly pressing a keyboard shortcut...or the stupid mighty mouse with its mind of its own.

Sorry to hear tho... I've found logic to be excellent and rarely have had any issues with it, yet 3 of my buddies all tried it out and have condemned me. well, except one... he uses it for its dynamics plugin's mainly now. They all are live users now. heh

I have looked at changing that preference, but from what I remember you can only change it to something else instead of turning it off totally. I might be wrong though.

Do you know if there is a way to turn off the auto scrolling in the piano roll editor? It's not scrolling, but jumps the screen unless you touch the scroll bar to over ride it. Thats something else that gets on my tits. If I could fix those things I would be incredibly happy.

Also the hyper editor should be able to access all a plugins parameters just like the automation screen. To my knowledge it only can edit cc#s and shit.

I have looked at changing that preference, but from what I remember you can only change it to something else instead of turning it off totally. I might be wrong though.

Do you know if there is a way to turn off the auto scrolling in the piano roll editor? It's not scrolling, but jumps the screen unless you touch the scroll bar to over ride it. Thats something else that gets on my tits. If I could fix those things I would be incredibly happy.

Also the hyper editor should be able to access all a plugins parameters just like the automation screen. To my knowledge it only can edit cc#s and shit.

There's a little "walking man" in the corner of each window... just deselect him. And if you want all windows to follow the playback cursor together, you can enable the chain links icons in each window as well as the walking man. (you'll notice that the chain link icons also have 2 states you can select from.

Hyper Editor, for the most part, yeh...lets you just click/paint in your midi and cc#'s, it reminds of a poor copy of Digital Performers Drum Editor. You can actually sequence in it, but I could never lay things down in that view fast enough to justify spending too much with it. You can setup drum maps in it or whatever really to sequence whatever.. (not to end sounding vague but yeh... it has its uses if you can work it into your workflow.)

I spend most of my time in the arrange, piano roll/matrix, event list, mixer, and environment.

Archived