IGNORED

Tim Hecker - An Imaginary Country

Tauhid

Guest telikan

First Jetone album is kind of goofy IDM trope ridden, and it seems like he hadn't really gotten into more creative applications of DSP to less song-based stuff yet. Ultramarin is great though, and I'm still blown away by how good the kicks and granular hi-hat stuff sounds. Sundown is ok, but at that point it seemed like he'd done as much as he could with that style.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i don't think any of his albums are bad, per se, but he set an extremely high standard with haunt me and radio amor, and then harmony in ultraviolet is basically perfect.

not being that familiar with hecker, yeah, this is good. but it's no harmony in ultraviolet.

Guest Tommm

I'll regurgitate here...

Yeah, it's Hecker so it's good initially. It's not as gripping as previous releases but, of course, there's always room for growth. I've hardly had it for a week.

I can safely say I don't think it will come onto par with his earlier works though.

Guest Hanratty
I'll regurgitate here...

Yeah, it's Hecker so it's good initially. It's not as gripping as previous releases but, of course, there's always room for growth. I've hardly had it for a week.

I can safely say I don't think it will come onto par with his earlier works though.

I agree with this but also want to say that I think Mirages is his best album.

• 4 weeks later...

florian hecker > tim hecker

a lot of Hecker's ambient stuff people praise heavily to me sounds like extreme later period Zoviet France/Rapoon biting

sorry for just coming in the thread to take a shit (leaves)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Abuse
First Jetone album is kind of goofy IDM trope ridden, and it seems like he hadn't really gotten into more creative applications of DSP to less song-based stuff yet. Ultramarin is great though, and I'm still blown away by how good the kicks and granular hi-hat stuff sounds. Sundown is ok, but at that point it seemed like he'd done as much as he could with that style.

I'm listening to Ultramarin right now and damn, this is good stuff. Minimal techno vs. the dronish timhecker glitchy noise stuffs.

florian hecker > tim hecker

No flipping way - well in my opinion anyway as I can't stand noise artists.

By the by, I doubt I'm going to find a track as emotionally gut wrenching as Borderlands (except for possibly Xerrox Sora by Alva Noto). I'm feel sad for admitting that I've shed many a tear to that track.

• 8 months later...

just looking around into people I've missed out on in 10 years out of the cycle...

tim hecker sounds good to me. the "imaginary country" and "harmony..." albums seem worthwhile. are they recommended tasters?

any other artists that combine melody with roaring feedback style noises?

also - how do UK folk find best prices outside play & amazon marketplaces?

thanks...

I probably recommend Haunt Me, Haunt Me, Do it again as a starter Tim Hecker album, but yeah the other two you mentioned definitely are representative of his style so either of them would be fine.

Other than ebay, I'm not really sure the best place for getting hold of older / out of print stuff... Some stuff that was released awhile ago that I missed out on luckily seems to find its way onto Boomkats download site, so you could try there - Sometimes Normanrecords.com has some quite good old stock on there too.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

check out fennesz - endless summer & venice

tried some iTunes & boomkat samples of fennesz, and I'd say I don't like the glitch style that seems to originate in the Ae style post tri repetae; it was theirs and for it to become a genre seems oddly unnecessary. don't like the sound of it anyway, as it's the less interesting laptop generation style that's suited more to these multi-instrumental soundtrack-esque musicians.

am liking Tim hecker & Ben frosts reasonably harsh drifting atmosperics more. anything else going in similar or related directions to that?

check out fennesz - endless summer & venice

Tim Hecker's best albums are Harmony, An Imaginary Country, and Radio Amor. He's incredible.

As for other similar artists:

All the Fennesz albums already listed, and Field Recordings 1995:2002

Belong - October Language

Belong - Same Places (Slow Version)

Christopher Bissonnette - In Between Words

Concern - Truth & Distance

Fabio Orsi - The Wild Light Of The Moon

Lawrence English - Kiri No Oto

Mountains - Choral

Pillowdiver - Sleeping Pills

Simon Scott - Navigare

Alva Noto - Xerrox Vol.2

Emeralds - Solar Bridge

Giuseppe Ielasi - August

Philip Jeck - Sand

Philip Jeck - 7

Philip Jeck - Suite. Live In Liverpool

Aidan Baker - Green & Cold

Should keep you busy, haha.

also - how do UK folk find best prices outside play & amazon marketplaces?

thanks...

the marketplace at www.discogs.com probably will offer you a wider selection than amazon marketplace, and in my experience with better prices. I've found a lot of good deals here, and most people seem willing to bargain if you make them a good offer for multiple items.

Tim Hecker's best albums are Harmony, An Imaginary Country, and Radio Amor. He's incredible.

As for other similar artists:

All the Fennesz albums already listed, and Field Recordings 1995:2002

Belong - October Language

Belong - Same Places (Slow Version)

Christopher Bissonnette - In Between Words

Concern - Truth & Distance

Fabio Orsi - The Wild Light Of The Moon

Lawrence English - Kiri No Oto

Mountains - Choral

Pillowdiver - Sleeping Pills

Simon Scott - Navigare

Alva Noto - Xerrox Vol.2

Emeralds - Solar Bridge

Giuseppe Ielasi - August

Philip Jeck - Sand

Philip Jeck - 7

Philip Jeck - Suite. Live In Liverpool

Aidan Baker - Green & Cold

Should keep you busy, haha.

uh, wat?

to your list i add:

marilyn monroe - complete filmography

granny smith - apples

watmm - general banter

zaphod - posts

human - anatomy

walter carlos - wendy carlos

bat - cock

zoviet france doesn't sound like tim hecker. i mean, there's some similarities in aesthetics but it's just not the same. even more so than fennesz.

• 2 weeks later...

zoviet france doesn't sound like tim hecker. i mean, there's some similarities in aesthetics but it's just not the same. even more so than fennesz.

from what i've heard of tim hecker there is a very strong rapoon/ZF influence minus some of the world music/middle eastern vibes. Fennesz to me is in a totally different digital/glitch noise ambient league to me.

i just keep emphasizing ZF everytime i see a tim hecker thread because surprisingly almost no tim hecker fans i've spoken to listen to or have heard a single Zoviet France album.

Archived