IGNORED

Hey you guys like bikes?

Guest zelah

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i had scott yecora with deore xt. hardtail with rock shox front suspension. a formidable bike with replaced steering joints, lightweight alu 7005 frame and xt v-brakes. every spring and summer we made about 800 km. some shitfucks stole it then, and maaan was i pissed off!!! i buyed and installed all the components...it was like a child to me... now some toilet-head-junkie sold it away to a guido with fake tan, and it just brakes my heart.

fiets_370.jpg

The front wheel of this bike is from a kick scooter. Back in WWII, the Dutch sometimes had to replace stolen parts of their bicycles with random things lol

Beautiful! My bike's Dutch too:

dscf0923gh2.jpg

dscf0925zt3.jpg

It draws a lot of comments because it's pretty unusual on British roads. I just use it for city commuting, and the occasional leisurely cruise around the park. no hills or anything to deal with. I love it, it's the best bike in the world.

have any of you people talking shit about how fixed gear bikes are so unsafe and obviously only for hipsters and you can't go fast on them and bla bla bla actually ever ridden one?

they do absolutely have more control than a freewheel bike, and yes downhills are a bit more of a pain, so are uphills, so is never being able to coast, but you adapt to all of this, and pretty quickly. instead of coasting you learn to just let your legs go dead and let the pedals carry them around, for downhills hopefully you have a fucking brake (i do) if it's steep enough, and for uphills you man up and just fucking pedal harder, or get off and walk the fucking thing up (which you probably would have done with a geared bike anyway).

however if you had ridden one (more and 5-10 feet) you'd quickly see just how much control you do have over the bike, compared to a freewheel bike, especially for crowded city conditions (people and cars everywhere) at lower speeds you can stop on a dime without your feet leaving the pedals and trackstand in place if need be till an opening arises. in the snow and ice nothing has better traction than skinny tires+fixed gear, steady momentum, no herky jerky stops/starts.

you can tell yourself they're only for hipster fags but truth is people have been riding them fucking forever. and i mean for christs sake you kids post on an electronic music messageboard and you're going to fling shit at OTHER people for being hipsters? because of the kind of bike they ride?

I have a 24 speed saracen, I just leave it in the highest gear all the time anyway, your legs ache constantly and you can bomb it along at 30+mph. you pretty much have no choice but to stay fit that way, theres no fannying around with making it easy on yourself.

in a city it would be useless, it takes me at least 40 seconds to reach my average cycling speed from stop start.

Guest Al Hounos
have any of you people talking shit about how fixed gear bikes are so unsafe and obviously only for hipsters and you can't go fast on them and bla bla bla actually ever ridden one?

they do absolutely have more control than a freewheel bike, and yes downhills are a bit more of a pain, so are uphills, so is never being able to coast, but you adapt to all of this, and pretty quickly. instead of coasting you learn to just let your legs go dead and let the pedals carry them around, for downhills hopefully you have a fucking brake (i do) if it's steep enough, and for uphills you man up and just fucking pedal harder, or get off and walk the fucking thing up (which you probably would have done with a geared bike anyway).

however if you had ridden one (more and 5-10 feet) you'd quickly see just how much control you do have over the bike, compared to a freewheel bike, especially for crowded city conditions (people and cars everywhere) at lower speeds you can stop on a dime without your feet leaving the pedals and trackstand in place if need be till an opening arises. in the snow and ice nothing has better traction than skinny tires+fixed gear, steady momentum, no herky jerky stops/starts.

you can tell yourself they're only for hipster fags but truth is people have been riding them fucking forever. and i mean for christs sake you kids post on an electronic music messageboard and you're going to fling shit at OTHER people for being hipsters? because of the kind of bike they ride?

I don't need to ride one to know what I know about them. You can trackstand on a freewheel bike just as easily as a fixie, that whole traction thing is nonsense. How does being able to pedal backwards help you move forward smoothly?

Sorry for calling you a hipster, but fixed gear has ZERO advantages, and several HUGE drawbacks, which leads me to conclude that its adopters must have more sinister motives at heart. Otherwise, why would fixie riders torture themselves like they do?

I don't need to ride one to know what I know about them. You can trackstand on a freewheel bike just as easily as a fixie, that whole traction thing is nonsense. How does being able to pedal backwards help you move forward smoothly?

Sorry for calling you a hipster, but fixed gear has ZERO advantages, and several HUGE drawbacks, which leads me to conclude that its adopters must have more sinister motives at heart. Otherwise, why would fixie riders torture themselves like they do?

so basically you decided they were bullshit and only for hipsters and don't need to actually ride one to prove or disprove anything you've convinced yourself about them and that's that.

well, have a nice life.

You can sort of trackstand on a freewheel bike, but only by inching forward a bit at a time. The full-on trackstand can only really be done when you can seesaw back & forth, which really does require fixed gears.

Like I said earlier, I have no problems with fixies or their riders. True, in this city (Austin) it's mostly mulleted hipsters with bad moustaches & skinny jeans who ride them.. but that's not the bikes' fault! I don't think I could give up my gears.. but I would like to take a fixie out for a test ride sometime to see what it's like. I admit the thought of getting rid of all the extraneous hardware is sort of appealing. My bike is full of added-on stuff too: headlight, taillight, reflectors, full-sized frame pump, bike computer, seat bag with tools & spare tube, water bottle holder & bottle, and my cane strapped to the top tube (I am handicapped after all). That's a lot of extra shit!

Guest WhoNeedsElectricity
im thinking of converting my 10-speed to a fixie...but i dontknow yet. i also need new rims, my rear one is bent.
Definitely a good idea. PLus, if you have all the parts and tools, this can easily be done in a weekend. Here's my last conversion that I had to leave in the Bay Are.

n573451283_686330_7432.jpg

It's a really fun bike, and I love riding fixed in the city. And yes, I did ride San Francisco brakeless. Incredibly scary, but also very fun.

I don't have a huge beef with fixed gear or their riders, I just think they're uncomfortable so I don't like to ride them. You can definitely stand in place a lot better with a fixed gear, but I know how to do it with a freewheel, so it's not that big of a deal.

The summer of '07 I was riding a bike that a friend stole [because it had been chained to a pole throughout the winter collecting rust], but it had been fitted with a fucking moped brake. The thing was just insanely heavy, I would have much rather ridden a fixed gear at the time just for the weight difference.

Guest Al Hounos
You can sort of trackstand on a freewheel bike, but only by inching forward a bit at a time. The full-on trackstand can only really be done when you can seesaw back & forth, which really does require fixed gears.

Like I said earlier, I have no problems with fixies or their riders. True, in this city (Austin) it's mostly mulleted hipsters with bad moustaches & skinny jeans who ride them.. but that's not the bikes' fault! I don't think I could give up my gears.. but I would like to take a fixie out for a test ride sometime to see what it's like. I admit the thought of getting rid of all the extraneous hardware is sort of appealing. My bike is full of added-on stuff too: headlight, taillight, reflectors, full-sized frame pump, bike computer, seat bag with tools & spare tube, water bottle holder & bottle, and my cane strapped to the top tube (I am handicapped after all). That's a lot of extra shit!

you just need to learn some skills, breh. lock the brake and just balance. if you're moving at all (forward or backward), it isn't a real trackstand anyway.

like i said before, i love simplicity and i love singlespeeds. but these fixie freaks think a front brake is an optional or extraneous part of a bike, and that's just stupid.

like i said before, i love simplicity and i love singlespeeds. but these fixie freaks think a front brake is an optional or extraneous part of a bike, and that's just stupid.

My bike's not a fixie and I do perfectly well without a front brake.

Archived