IGNORED

how do you prnounce watmm?

goffer

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never said the acronym - I aways say "we are the music makers"

How many fucking times. It's not an acronym, it's an abbreviation. An 'initialed' abbreviation.

Acronym = C.O.B.R.A

Abbreviation = IDM

isn't an acronym just an abbreviation pronounced as a word? i mean, the dictionary uses 'AIDS' as an example, so if AIDS is an acronym, surely WATMM can be too

as a word. does it have to actually be a word like cobra?

I've never said the acronym - I aways say "we are the music makers"

How many fucking times. It's not an acronym, it's an abbreviation. An 'initialed' abbreviation.

Acronym = C.O.B.R.A

Abbreviation = IDM

I beg to differ: (from dictionary.com):

Acronym:

a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words, as Wac from Women's Army Corps, OPEC from Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, or loran from long-range navigation.

Abbreviation:

a shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase, used to represent the whole, as Dr. for Doctor, U.S. for United States, lb. for pound.

Now, they are very similar, if it weren't for the part I bolded in the definition of acronym: initial letters - this is what makes it an acronym, and not an abbreviation. Look at the examples provided as further proof.

WATMM is not an abbreviation of "We Are The Music Makers", otherwise it'd be something like "We Are The MM" or some ghey shit like that.

for some reason, I still feel like Kakapo won that argument.

For some reason, I still feel like you're wrong

At best it's a 'partial' acronym, the concept of which has come about by the repeated and errenoeous use of 'acronym'.

Dictionary.com?

Hey I tell you what, why don't I swap my renaissance education from a school 3 times older than your country for fucking dictionary.com. Dictionary.com can fuck me up the fucking arse you fuck.

At best it's a 'partial' acronym, the concept of which has come about by the repeated and errenoeous use of 'acronym'.

Dictionary.com?

Hey I tell you what, why don't I swap my renaissance education from a school 3 times older than your country for fucking dictionary.com. Dictionary.com can fuck me up the fucking arse you fuck.

http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/define...5&dict=CALD

can you explain the AIDS thing to me

hmm, they don't even say AIDS is an acronym:

http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/define...0&dict=CALD

Dictionary.com?

http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/define...5&dict=CALD

can you explain the AIDS thing to me

hmm, they don't even say AIDS is an acronym:

http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/define...0&dict=CALD

Yes.

It's a 'partial' acronym, not a 'true' acronym.

Acronym: IDM, WATMM, THC, KGB

Abbreviation: St (street), Mt (Mount), Sgt (Sargent)

Looks like that centuries-old school was run by some pretty retarded people.

At least some people on here understand the concept of pronouncing initialed abbreviations as words.

How the fuck is KGB an acronym, you total fucking idiot?

Dictionary.com?

Well, the point of failure here is not your school, but rather your inability to grasp the material correctly and use it.

My use of the phrase from the Caustic Window song is as a title, in this case, a name of a website. It's not a 'phrase' or any of that nonsense. Therefore, like RADAR or WHO, it's an acronym. So, it's use in this case is not errenoeous or wrong, but rather your misunderstanding of the WATMM title and brand is.

Now c'mere and give Papa Rex a big 'ol hug! :laughing:

Archived