IGNORED

Time to fucking re-label the genre

thehauntingsoul

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

brainprance

iddams (introverts-don't-dance-(to)-anything-(but)-modular-synthesis)

lonelycore

antimatter polka

automated ass-slapping machine jazz

lol @ "it's kind of growing". since the middle of the last decade, if anything, it's been dying not growing.

or maybe, at least, just getting more and more fragmented.

IDM was the start of electronica as a legitimate genre in it of itself and not just experiments, gimmicks, music using electronic instruments to expand the palate, or just normal music with electronic instruments. IDM didn't die, it changed.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.

IDM was the start of electronica as a legitimate genre in it of itself and not just experiments, gimmicks, music using electronic instruments to expand the palate, or just normal music with electronic instruments. IDM didn't die, it changed.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.

More like it was the start of an action to bring electronic music back from being perceived as strictly dance or rave music, as the label suggests.

The first Artificial Intelligence comp (the IDM equivalent to scripture) kinda makes the case for this argument.

edit

f67aa7ad261a2c341c01d506a9c.jpg

“ You could sit down and listen to it like you would a Kraftwerk or Pink Floyd album. That's why we put those sleeves on the cover of Artificial Intelligence - to get it into people's minds that you weren't supposed to dance to it! ”

—Steve Beckett

In ways, it was more like a return to the era you suggested it was breaking from.

This is all my opinion.

Archived