IGNORED

whats the difference between breakcore and drill n bass?

Guest bundle of sticks

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

genres are bullshit but in a practical sense are natural and in places, useful...... so like... i'd say the main difference is that stuff styled as 'drill'n'bass' is hyper jungle in the meticulous vein. less malcoordinated mashing, more studious midi note clicking. less gabber kicks/ cheesy samples, more masturbatory pads and classic drum breaks. overwhelmingly breakcore is drunk one-trick-pony music, while drill'n'bass is for headphones. there's mashup and there's snare-rush.

The difference is, breakcore tries way too hard to be hardcore and fast, as a result you get something I like to call crap. drill n bass, (if you want to call it like that), actually requires a thinking mind that creates rhythms and patterns that change, are complex, but still have a sense of flow in the track. Of course, this requires real talent to achieve, thats why you don't see many people succeeding to come with something acceptable. In fact, I think this is the hardest electronic music "style" you could aim to. You could tell Aphex Twin, and maybe Squarepusher inspired by aphex twin, are the originators of the whole thing.

wisp is the epitome of drill n bass

I like Wisp, and he is really good, but the "epitome?" that word is way too big. I think if there is an epitome of that style, that was drukqs, and I think theres no other person but Richard himself that can write stuff at such level.

Btw, talking about drukqs. It is known that drukqs has that particular mood to it, specially because of the melodies. Im sure i've heard these type of "eerie melodies", with the same kind of synthesizer, at some really old experimental record I heard years ago. Specifically, the intro in "afx247 v7", sounded terribly similar to a song on that record. I would pay money to find again what record im talking about, because I totally forgot the name.

Guest spraaaa

lot of breakcore around here samples pop and speeds it up in a hardcore kind of way

breakcore seems like something you could make live or djed by switching patterns/records around a lot whereas drillnbass seems more like just gridding it out, non-realtime editing

Guest Super lurker ultra V12
Attempt at passing as RDJ.

Could you please stop being a fanboy and focus on the actual content of the reply

OMG PISSFLAPS IS RDJ

:excl: :excl: :excl:

• 8 months later...

Doormouse blows everyone here away as a producer and as an amazing human being

he's good at rolling around on the floor with his top off

this is a good example of why watmm has been shit since tauboo left

i haven't listened to too much doormouse but i think fluorescent grey is better than doormouse, beak is also more interesting than doormouse

Archived