IGNORED

Recommend me a book

Guest Christoph

Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash

THIS@!

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

this 2

I'm currently reading The Fountainhead. It's IDM in a way.

great book.

i had a hard time with this one... it was good, but took me ages to read... i had to re-read just about every damn page... DENSE/

the dark tower series by stephen king is really IDM.

Its a 7 book series, and its not horror at all so forget what you think you know about king.

In a nutshell, the first book begins with a gunslinger chasing a man in black across a desert. He needs to catch him so he can be told where to find the dark tower. Once he has this information he will embark on a huge quest to travel to the 6 ends of the energy beams that hold up the tower. You see, the beams are weakening, and the world has moved on, and it is nigh apocalypse. Actually the whole idea is exactly the type of world I think AE always stresses.

It starts out like a western/adventure, but the world grows and contains:

- Robot wolves that kidnap children

- Clouds called 'thinny's' that are essentially places where reality is dangerously thin

- Freestanding doors that open through into our world (the real one)

- Heroin addicts

- A schizophrenic paraplegic black lady in a wheelchair (one of the main characters)

- A train called Blaine the mono that tells riddles to its passengers

- An epic battle with a huge cyborg grizzly bear

holy shit. List goes on. Stephen king is famous for a reason - he is a GOOD fucking author. His general style of writing is not so good because Its just too samey (horror novels) but this Epic fucking series is easily the best I've ever read and deals with alot of metaphysical stuff too

ftw. Seriously. Best shit ever.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke

Yes! That reminds me I need to find my copy of the sequel to this and read that I finish 'The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle'. Which is good too, by the way, don't know if it's IDM but it's my first time reading Murakami and I like it.

Sweet I will check him out...

I have the sequel as well and haven't read it...

Need to do that!

read 'From Hell' B, amazing book....

Guest Panoptimist

Being and Nothingness by Jean-Paul Sartre.

I personally believe that existentialist philosophy and IDM merge somewhere in the art on the cover of Autechre's Untilted.

Or read some Italian futurism.

Guest chax
bad monkeys by matt ruff, idm as fuck and brilliant

i just picked this up today. thanks for the suggestion

Guest A/D

"godel, escher, bach" - not fiction, but IDM as balls. this book had sex with IDM when IDM was still in utero.

Guest melotronic
bad monkeys by matt ruff, idm as fuck and brilliant

i just picked this up today. thanks for the suggestion

oh awesome man :smiling:

you'll have to let me know how you find it, yeah?

dreamtigers - borges

can a book be idm? hmmm, cunt.

the voynich manuscript is pretty fucking idm

Guest chax

i just found out about this book called Remainder by Tom McCarthy that is very idm

A man is severely injured in a mysterious accident, receives an outrageous sum in legal compensation, and has no idea what to do with it.

Then, one night, an ordinary sight sets off a series of bizarre visions he can’t quite place.

How he goes about bringing his visions to life–and what happens afterward–makes for one of the most riveting, complex, and unusual novels in recent memory.

Remainder is about the secret world each of us harbors within, and what might happen if we were granted the power to make it real.

planning on picking this up today

At Swim-Two-Birds, or The Third Policeman, both by the same author. I recently finished these along with some other books by the same author.

Guest melotronic
the only book Ive ever read which Ive become properly absorbed in is House of Leaves.

have you read mark z. danielewski's other book, only revolutions?

i wouldnt recommend it, but it is idm as all fuck

Guest chax
the only book Ive ever read which Ive become properly absorbed in is House of Leaves.

have you read mark z. danielewski's other book, only revolutions?

i wouldnt recommend it, but it is idm as all fuck

there was so much hype surrounding that book, and i was so looking forward to it...yet it turned out to be basically a huge critical failure and artistic flop, which i think is because there isn't really a story involved (just a gimmick). i think he should just try to create a sequel to house of leaves, it's what everyone wants. it's one of the best books ever, got a lot of people 'back into reading' and he might not be able to top it or create another novel just as good in the rest of his career. it happens to a lot of authors

the author also just created a twitter account (lol) http://twitter.com/markdanielewski

pretty much all neal stephenson.

I'm re-reading "the diamond age" right now. And I know someone mentioned "Snow Crash" earlier in the thread.

fucking great stuff. His epic The Baroque Cycle+Cryptonomicon is so interesting to me, but I can see where a lot of people wouldn't like it.

yeah diamond age ftw.

everything stanislaw lem did, esp. golem xiv, the futurological congress & his master's voice.

borges was already mentioned, he kicks major ass.

jodorovsky - donde mejor canta un pajaro

gustav meyrink - the golem

arno schmidt - zettels traum (bottom's dream in english, apparently) if you can steal a copy at a library somewhere.. it's expensive as fuck and the most idm thing ever done.

pretty much all neal stephenson.

I'm re-reading "the diamond age" right now. And I know someone mentioned "Snow Crash" earlier in the thread.

fucking great stuff. His epic The Baroque Cycle+Cryptonomicon is so interesting to me, but I can see where a lot of people wouldn't like it.

I'm reading his newest one (Anathem) and it is just as dense as those four, but takes place on another planet (that is very similar to Earth).

• 1 year later...

House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski, it's a slightly difficult read and it's a bit lengthy but it's VERY worth it, it's a creepy/trippy headtrip of a book...

http://www.amazon.com/House-Leaves-Mark-Z-Danielewski/dp/0375703764/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1

edit: Seems it's been suggested already... well I wholeheartedly support the reccomendation, amazing book

i think he should just try to create a sequel to house of leaves, it's what everyone wants. it's one of the best books ever, got a lot of people 'back into reading' and he might not be able to top it or create another novel just as good in the rest of his career. it happens to a lot of authors

the author also just created a twitter account (lol) <a href="http://twitter.com/markdanielewski" target="_blank">http://twitter.com/markdanielewski</a>

It's very possible he might never top it, I remember reading somewhere House of Leaves took him about 10 years to write.

i think he should just try to create a sequel to house of leaves, it's what everyone wants. it's one of the best books ever, got a lot of people 'back into reading' and he might not be able to top it or create another novel just as good in the rest of his career. it happens to a lot of authors

the author also just created a twitter account (lol) <a href="http://twitter.com/markdanielewski" target="_blank">http://twitter.com/markdanielewski</a>

It's very possible he might never top it, I remember reading somewhere House of Leaves took him about 10 years to write.

have you seen his new project? 26 books or something like that.

Archived