IGNORED

bobby mcferrin hax yr brain

kaini

an interesting point i saw raised is that bobby is a happy cheerful jumpy-about sort of bloke... and the audience decided by themselves to choose the major third.

if he'd been a less animated, more sombre type or a goth would they have gravitated to the minor third instead?

an interesting point i saw raised is that bobby is a happy cheerful jumpy-about sort of bloke... and the audience decided by themselves to choose the major third.

if he'd been a less animated, more sombre type or a goth would they have gravitated to the minor third instead?

you're on to something there buddy boy

Guest assegai

Speaking of music and neuroscience, it's actually a mystery as to how musicians can sight-read music.

what?

don't worry, be happy.

Speaking of music and neuroscience, it's actually a mystery as to how musicians can sight-read music.

Is it really? Where'd you read that?

One of my professors in college told me about it. We know how the information is interpreted in the brain, but not how the brain functions in real time while you're playing.

It's a phenomenon.

One of my professors in college told me about it. We know how the information is interpreted in the brain, but not how the brain functions in real time while you're playing.

It's a phenomenon.

why is it different to reading? or following in real time a set of instrucitions?

why is it different to reading? or following in real time a set of instrucitions?

Exactly what I was thinking. Sure it requires a bit more dexterity and knowledge but it's still basically the same....

It's a phenomenon.

Because it's reading in combination with complicated muscle movement. Your brain is reading, interpreting, hearing, and reacting all in microseconds. I'm not talking about sight-reading in the way that you get a minute to look it over, I'm talking about someone throwing music in front of you that you've never seen before and you just start playing. No time to look it over.

Well, OK, but most of the things our brains do are still a mystery as far as science is concerned.

Its a mystery as to how people experience consciousness.

Its a mystery as to how how free will works, or whether it even exists.

Its a mystery as to how memories are stored (we know some rough details)

Its a mystery as to how language is understood (we know roughly which lumps of neurons are involved, no idea how they do it)

Its a mystery as to how imagination works

A musician sight-reading and playing music is equally as myserious as someone driving a car, although perhaps more refined. Put in a load of real-time stimuli that the person has learnt to process, and watch them do all the right muscle movements. We can explain the big picture, but we have no idea how any of it actually happens in fully-integrated detail. So yeah, its a mystery in that sense of the word.

but the muscle-movement varies. when playing a stringed instrument, your left and right hands are doing very different things - when playing a keyed instrument, they're usually doing the same thing. i think it's more concerned with mapping complex visual information mentally into sound (audiation). the muscle-movement is a secondary thing which follows from the audiation, but requires the audiation to happen.

what bobby is doing here is a very simple audiation. places on stage = tones in the pentatonic scale. what is marvellous and interesting is that the audience seems to be able to supply a lot of the tonal information themselves, given a place to start.

but the muscle-movement varies ...

Its an impressive feat, I agree, but its no more flabbergasting that hundreds of other things our brains do every day that we can't explain.

Because it's reading in combination with complicated muscle movement.

Isn't that pretty similar to reading something out loud - your throat, mouth and tongue muscle movements are a pretty complex thing...

Guest Rabid

Um, I thought musicians looked ahead a bit when sight-reading. While they're playing one note, they're preparing for the next one.

Because it's reading in combination with complicated muscle movement.

Isn't that pretty similar to reading something out loud - your throat, mouth and tongue muscle movements are a pretty complex thing...

Not really, because a bunch of those muscle movements are involuntary. Everything about sight-reading music is a voluntary muscle movement.

Um, I thought musicians looked ahead a bit when sight-reading. While they're playing one note, they're preparing for the next one.

Yeah. Don't you guys realize how complicated and amazing this is?

Archived