IGNORED

Quaristice - vinyl version

awepittance

So i just acquired the double LP of this album and it's allowed me to enjoy it in a different way. It has very different mastering done to some of the tracks, Perlence sounds like it was meant to be on vinyl. was curious if anyone had it and if they prefer it over the CD version. I think it works better on vinyl than on cd personally. I got Draft on vinyl and was a little underwhelmed by the sound quality compared to the cd.

It's too bad there wasn't an ultra AE fanboy vinyl release with 4 lps including quadrange and the 2nd bonus disc.

It's too bad there wasn't an ultra AE fanboy vinyl release with 4 lps including quadrange and the 2nd bonus disc.

Really? I thought you didn't like Quaristice?

Yea, I was really impressed by how the vinyl version sounded so much better than the mp3 rips(lol) that I've listened to. Fo 13 in particular sounded much better on vinyl.

Really? I thought you didn't like Quaristice?

i don't dislike it, i think a lot of the songs were disappointing to me at first, but they have grown on me, especially after hearing them on on vinyl.

so to go back over, a refresher course if you will, buying the vinyl 2xlp version of Quaristice has given me *new* appreciation of the album...

hmm, i'm a little skeptical. i have confield and lp5 on vinyl and to my ears they sound no different to the cd versions. i'll give it a listen though if i can find a copy in a store, i still don't actually have a physical copy of quaristice yet.

Guest Joebot Kill

this has happened to me before with lp5 actually. i bought it on CD first and i liked it quite a bit. but a couple of years later i picked up the vinyl version and WOW it totally changed the tone of the album for me. i could see the vinyl really helping out with quaristice. i got the 2xcd metal case version. but i really do think i want to pick up the LP version as well. it'd probably have to be more like 8lps for that super fan box. 2 for quaristice, 2 for versions, 2 for quadrange, 2 forperlence subrange. id totally buy that though!

I still have never owned a vinyl player and therefore still do not understand what the big ruckuss is about. Isnt flac encoding better quality?

the only difference i've noticed is with music recorded in the 80s or earlier, where stuff was mastered for vinyl and the cd versions sounded terrible in comparison. i certainly haven't noticed any higher quality or anything, just a 'different' sound with albums that were recorded with analog equipment.. or something.

Guest bitroast

I still have never owned a vinyl player and therefore still do not understand what the big ruckuss is about. Isnt flac encoding better quality?

the only difference i've noticed is with music recorded in the 80s or earlier, where stuff was mastered for vinyl and the cd versions sounded terrible in comparison.

this still the case today. different dynamics between cd and vinyl means same album is sent to different people for 2 different mixes. most things soudn fine on cd but alot/most? of pop music today is victim to the 'loudness war' over compression rubbish. here's screenshot of track from red hot chili pepper's latest album.

there's that + vinyl is capable of higher frequencies. not sure how noticible this is tho to human ears?

this still the case today. different dynamics between cd and vinyl means same album is sent to different people for 2 different mixes

this is the reason, when someone cuts a record to vinyl they usually put a mastering on it that works best for the vinyl and an album can sound different (not better as in this is fundamentally better sound quality, i jsut want to clarify that i never made this claim nor would i ever)

Guest David R James

As well as loving to listen to music i also love the way it gets from the making of a track to its final master whether it be an mp3/wav/flac, CD, or Vinyl. I often compare the different formats where possible for my own weird pleasure. often i find the vinyl to be the most pleasing, as it tends to sound nicer on the tops where they seem to sparkle more and eliminating some of the mid range (sometimes the top) which sounds nicer to my tired ears that generally get quite a battering. Basically I find vinyl less fatiguing.

I would love to compare Quaristice over its available formats. I think I heard or read that the primary format was digital, and cd/vinyl to be secondary.

what's your opinion rook, do you think some of the songs work better on vinyl? i was just listening to the plc on my record player and there is some nice mid-bass in it that i can't hear on the cd version.

Sometimes, when listening on vinyl, you get some interesting distortion in high frequencies. I mean, really there is nothing like putting a needle on a record on a nice, big, hi-fi system and hearing every little detail. Its just a different experience I think.

• 4 weeks later...

with regards to FLAC vs CD vs Vinyl, FLAC encodes are (usually) exactly the same quality as a CD...that being 44.1Khz 16bit. you can get other resolutions and bit rates though, so the argument can only be valid if the FLAC encodes exceed the parameters of a CD.

i need to give some decent comparison between Quaristice (CD) and Quaristice (vinyl) before i can say with my own personal experience, but since someone else mentioned it:

my Draft 7.30 on vinyl sounds infinitely better than Draft 7.30 on CD. i also have the promo cassette, and i'm torn as to whether it sounds "better". it definitely sounds different.

I've made this point before.

All the autechre albums sound better on vinyl.

All the boc albums sound better on cd.

afx stuff varies, but analord is significantly better on vinyl.

This is all personal preference rather than arguments over fidelity.

well I don't own any boc or AE vinyls but goddamn the Analords....whew...LUSCIOUS. I need some AE vinyl once I get my life more in order, as it seems to be falling apart piece by piece. I also need analord 4. fuck.

Home Made Polysynth is such a great track, yeah

Archived