IGNORED

The Carpentry thread

kakapo

I have a feeling this may turn out to be the least successful watmm thread of all time.

I need a bookshelf, and ideally also some way to store about 200 pieces of vinyl. So having looked and found no elegant or cost effective solutions, I've come to the conclusion I should build my own. I can put up some shelves, but beyong this my experience is limited. But I've also been thinking that I don't want to build some awful boxy stacking units and that I should get totally out of my depth and attempt something electonic music like a recreation of an Ettore Sottsass.

e4300f1b.jpg

Any carpenters on here? Anybody tried building their own furniture? Anybody know of any useful web resources? Also, women love this shit, and I think we should set up a watmm furniture building club.

And I don't want to make this thread into an issue of fucking wallpaper magazine, but feel free to post pictures of furniture you like. The more electronic music the better.

Edited by kakapo

i don't know carpentry! but i do have a certain set of skills... upholstery!

That wasn't very constructive. lol?

More Ettore Sottsass. Somebody ps some Analords on it.

SottsassCarlton1.jpg

Edited by kakapo

i don't know carpentry! but i do have a certain set of skills... upholstery!

That wasn't very constructive. lol?

More Ettore Sottsass. Somebody ps some Analords on it.

SottsassCarlton1.jpg

i realized that being an assassin and upholstery don't go hand in hand!

seriously kakapo, hit up your local chain bookstore and pick up a few woodworking books and mags. The netz don't cut it. My uncle made a fretless six string electric bass that looked like claypools with the stripes of alternating woods, and a 5 string fretted bass with a whammy bar. Those were first tries. I mean, he had never tried anything so difficult, and he owned. They are a joy to play.

So in conclusion, after reading a book or two, you could own this SUPER easy. It's not rocket science, but you have to be into it.

women love this shit, and I think we should set up a watmm furniture building club.

I'm down, plus when I get my own gaff again next year I'm going to need shelving for about 1200 CDs. Let's carpent. Have to say though, the second piece you posted looks like it'd hold about three 12"s.

So in conclusion, after reading a book or two, you could own this SUPER easy. It's not rocket science, but you have to be into it.

I think if I treat it as a labour of love and take my time. But on the other hand I don't want to waste my time building a desk tidy first and then 'progressing', I reckon your uncle has the right idea.

I happen to make Furniture as a hobby yes. I've made many a thing from TV tables to wardrobes.

Did you just launch yourself into it, or did you do some kind of joinery/carpentry course first?

I'm down, plus when I get my own gaff again next year I'm going to need shelving for about 1200 CDs. Let's carpent. Have to say though, the second piece you posted looks like it'd hold about three 12"s.

It's about 8 foot tall. Maybe if we ask nicely/nonce up the right person we'll be allowed our own secret carpentry subforum where we could host photos of our handiwork and amateurish mistakes. We could call it the warped/reflexed subforum.

All the tools, materials, and time are going to cost you more than just buying a shelf though.

soooo wrong. Get tools at pawn shops. Or ask your friend/neighbor to borrow. You won't need much if building a desk like that. Nothing fancy at any rate. As far as materials go, you are likely to be able to get most for free. Just look around demolition sites and take whatever you need. The guy I live with bought the HOUSE we live in 35 years ago when all it was was LITERALLY a burnt out 3 story husk. He bought it for less than 1000$. He's been rehabbing it steadily over the past 35 years in his free time. The house is worth over 500,000$ dollars now and he didn't pay for anything except for paint. no bullshit. same with the instruments my uncle made. All salvaged materials, and they are the best instruments I have ever played in my life. His most recent build was a hollow body arch-top guitar and let me just say GODDAMN. Seriously.

All the tools, materials, and time are going to cost you more than just buying a shelf though.

This is the final proof, if any were needed, that Yegg is indeed female. Women have children, the ultimate act of creation. Men on the other hand must compensate through diy. Or starting wars. Or making secret subforums. With that attitude you may as well say, why make IDMs, just go to the shop and buy some aphex. And then there'd be no EKT forum, and we'd all be very much poorer for it, wouldn't we?

Guest El_Chemso

Similar situation to you I guess, I wanted a big corner desk for my PC and bits, looks around for one and got a quote for a bespoke one. Was about £500 the guy wanted for doing it. I found you can buy pine board, which is like MDF but its actually really good quality pine all joined and sanded ready for use. I bought 2 sheets costing me £40 which measured 2.5 meters by 60cm and just got to building. I'm typing from the very desk now. Its no great shakes of joinery but I built it about 2 years ago, less really and I bought one power tool for the job. Its spiraled since there and heres some stuff I've built:

Just finished this, which is a bench specially designed for Jewellery making. They cost like £600 an I made this for £40. FYI its not for me.

DSC00540.jpg

Before that built this:

DSC00473.jpg

Which was a new stool for this which I finished last month, only half the finish on which is why its different colours, this is the pinnacle of my woodworking 2 years on from the start:

DSC00463.jpg

So I guess I'm saying, if you really want to do it you can. But tools are expensive an its a steep learning curve.

soooo wrong. Get tools at pawn shops. Or ask your friend/neighbor to borrow.

Yeah, because everyone I know owns a planar, lathe, and band saw.

:rolleyes:

Shit's expensive and think of the time you have to put into it. If you're trying to be cost effective, just buy a damn shelf. It's not prudent to invest money in the tools unless you're going to be woodworking for the long run.

Edited by Yegg

Guest El_Chemso

Yegg is right, but something like a shelf unit you could make very cheaply as you don't need many tools. If you go to somewhere like the Timber Centre part of the Build Centre in the UK, (Google your nearest) they will cut sheets to size for you for a small charge, then you just have to assemble.

Great thread.

I've been wanting to make my own desk and table and everything for my room for a few years now. I have some tools at home, I could buy wood, I do have some knowledge on this as I made some furniture for my room a few years back (one piece collapsed and destroyed a loudspeaker though...).

Working with wood is a beautuful thing and every real man should do it once in a while! At least chop it or something if you're the destructive type...

i made this thread a year or 2 ago...

i've made/fitted various storage, architraves, windows, skirting, etc. around my flat. You can do so much with just a circular mitre saw.

i'd love to make my own furniture but don't really have the workspace. hopefully one day i'll have my own workshop for my manly stuff.

also, that colourful 'shelf' monstrosity thingy you posted there is hideous!