IGNORED

The Carpentry thread

kakapo

IKEA

Some of the furniture in my home is older than your country. Ikea isn't an option.

By cost-effective I don't mean cheap, simply that bespoke furniture can be incredibly expensive. The difference in cost between commisioning something and building it yourself is probably roughly the same cost as the tools. And if I have enough time to post on watmm, I have enough time to build stuff out of wood.

When I was 8 years old I went on holiday to corfu. We had the most secluded and beautiful sandy beach, the surrounding area was completely undeveloped at that time. I spent every day, from 7 in the morning until 6 at night, building a sandcastle. By the end of the holiday it must've been 50'*50' in area, and was closer to Venice than the product of a castellated bucket. On the last day some American kids came along and trashed the lot. I didn't care, it was the happiest holiday of my life. You will either get this story or you won't.

They were Dutch kids really.

Edited by kakapo

making a functional bookshelf is a piece of piss.

making something that your grandkids will want to have in their house might take some effort.

just get a book, a hammer, some nails, a saw and some wood and start knocking some shit together.

wood you can get for free, hammer nails and saw probably cost you 40 quid. oh you'll also need a tape measure. I'm sort of assuming youhave one of those already, every house has at least one.

kakapoo, you should pm aziaziazi he's always ready to help. He's a friend of mine, and he has just gratuated from Boulle, the best carpentry/upholestry/manyothertry school around here(he's into cabinet making). He also has a shitload of references, and has a fairly modern taste, maybe he could send you back some inspiring links.

i'm planning a mezzanine bed. carpentry is fun. it's probably going to take me a year or so. i've never done anything like this before. but pencil, paper, some rudimentary maths and common sense is all you really need.

edit: and wood, saw, drill, screwdriver etc

Edited by LUDD

I've pm'd aziaziazi, but he only has one post on the forum...

you know that babar is an artist, a real artist. So, why doesn't he post bmp ?

Because babar is a crap artist, he paint with his own shit and use his cock to spread it out on his cat (sometime he use his finger too). During listenning A double mix of you know what and being on acids, cela va sans dire...

Well, Babar, share us some of your pet work please ! I'm sure everywatmmusers should be enjoy you do it ^^

For the most impatients, an averview of this

post-5839-1237473523_thumb.jpg

maybe can you do it on t-shirt ?

i'm planning a mezzanine bed.

Well, that's the nouveau riche/LTM for you.

Edited by kakapo

Guest aziaziazi

second post !

making your own furniture is a great idea kakapo (can I call you cacapôÔ ?). It's something very funny, and Sottsass should be proud of you, mec. Likewise, you must having just un few materials. The minimum is a little saw like this :

med_coal_saw.jpg

but you can use a dildo too (notice that you can't hunt yeti with dildo).

so, seriously, i'm sorry everyone, but my favorite pieces of furniture are those made of with the less wood (is my word correct ?) ! Or instead those are used for another use than the original. look "fontaine" (fountain) by Duchamp :

urinoir.jpg

Au passage, je suis sur que vous apprécierez l'hommage qu'ont fait deux artistes sur le caveau familial :

http://jeanluc.bitton.free.fr/rigaut/duchampkemal.jpg

ainsi que

duchamppinoncelli.jpg > Pierre Pinoncelli, dressed up in Rrose Sélavy, do a kind of strip tease (sorry, i've not the vids ^^), burn his cheek with an iron bar warm with a blowtorch and exhibit his ass in dead position.

well, your shelves... mmmmh , why not something like this :

post-5839-12536701645044_thumb.jpg

you're not a cabinetmaker ? Don't do cabinet making, just do Art

Guest El_Chemso

Thanks George an Carestick, much appreciated. I read WATMM every day Carestick I just don't post that often anymore.

Well if you do decide to build your own seem there are a couple of us on WATMM that could help you out.

i'm planning a mezzanine bed.

Well, that's the nouveau riche/LTM for you.

Luton Timber Merchants?

good idea

It's ok, I forgive you LUDD. And Plum. Whether history will is an entirely different matter.

I think aziaziazi may have the best post/content ratio on watmm.

• 11 years later...

I was assembling a shelf the other day that said it required a power drill, which I have, but unfortunately do not have any drill bits :catface: I ended up hand screwing them in. This is mostly a reminder to myself to get drill bits.

48 minutes ago, Enthusiast said:

I would like to make my own speakers. Anyone tried that?

I did and they still work and sound great. This is what I built them from: https://www.daytonaudio.com/category/24/speaker-kits

The enclosure was ordered from somewhere else that I can't remember, though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kakapo said:

Ahaha the nascent grumblings of discontent that led a month later to this.

In the end I didn't take up carpentry and got some Nils Strinning shelving instead.

“Don’t worry weed, he won’t visit you.” Still fucking gets me. 

4 hours ago, sheatheman said:

If anyone still wants to talk about carpentry, I’m self-employed and do framing and finish carpentry.

i started by building my own studio furniture 8 years ago and just kept adding on skills from there.

Ya!

also..

In 1974, the Italian designer Enzo Mari published 19 furniture designs that one could make by oneself in his book ‘Autoprogettazione?’

enzo_mari_3a.jpg

some of the models and nice upcycled sedias uno

https://www.cucula.org/en/enzomari/

Lampedusa-Stuehle-Start-960x480px.jpg

here's a scan of the original manual.

Enzo-Mari-Autoprogettazione2.pdf

• Like 3