IGNORED

how the hell do you get signed

vamos scorcho

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jimbob

I think i added you a few weeks ago actually.

Thought to myself there's no way i'm listening to this with that rubbish to look at.

Interesting stuff though, but too much noodling and fuckery which isn't very listenable

Some of the synthwork is nice

Actually a very good post. I work with sales and marketing, and I'm certain it's an important part of being a successful musician. In fact, it's an important aspect of everything you do. Marketing tactics are not for everyone, so I'm not surprised the author found his myspace cold calling a terrible chore.

The above author is wrong about one thing though, it's extremely difficult to sell something you're not passionate about. He wouldn't stand a chance selling insurance.

The thing about marketing is that on a good day, you will fail 90% of the time. That's just how it works. Corporations tailor their marketing strategies with the expectation that only 10% of the targets will be worthwile.

The two most important parts of marketing are, learning how to take a no, and then being able to tailor your product to those who are interested.

The problem with most musicians is exactly that, they can't take a no, and when they have someone who's interested, they don't know how to tailor their product, or they're not ready to tailor it. Those who do go on and make hit records. But the good side of it is that it's not all about making money. And you can tailor it in other ways than making it more pop music.

But the truth is, the less you adhere to the laws of the business world, the harder it's going to be to be successful in it.

And I'm sure you know being in the IDM clique won't help your chances.

So maybe a fitting suggestion would be, keep making music, keep making contacts, but don't quit your day-job.

don't bother until you're actually making decent tunes. nothing is more annoying than some kid with a cracked copy of Cubase knocking up a couple of "IDM" tunes then speculating when and how they will be signed. Any and every cunt is making tunes these days....most of them are utter shit. Yours are not utter shit I might add, but from what I've heard they are nowhere near releasable quality on terms of production, ideas, or saleability. forget about trying to "get signed". it ain't gonna happen mate. if you enjoy making music, then just make it anyway, and don't worry about trying to be a superstar.

according to this thread I dont stand a chance. Fuck, it's nice having a hobby though.

Don't listen to anyone. To get signed there is no "right" path. Follow your own wisdom and concentrate on the music always. If you are still are confused about what you're supposed to do, turn your fucking computer off go sit outside and think about it for a good amount. If you can't figure out how to accomplish your own goals, then you definitely need to start trying more.

Why do you want to get signed? There's not much cash in it nowadays.

very true. i think it's probably at this point just more about being 'dignified' or established with credibility as a real artist/musician, even if it's just a small/indie label. plus the opportunities it opens up

Guest Glass Plate

Essential elements to get signed:

1. luck

2. perfect sound at the perfect time

3. Uniqueness without trying too hard

4. a great image/great networking

5. knowledge of the right style for the right label (similar to 2)

6. A proper market for your sound, not too saturated, not too few looking for it.

7. Enough talent to make something that isn't easily replicated (unless youre basshunter) but once again not trying too hard.

8. Hard work ethic. Keep trying, promote your self, get a following etc.

9. to go along with number 8, don't fuck up and ruin your image by trying too hard when you're not good enough yet. Might hurt your reputation and mess up your chances.

10. don't make IDM, shit's dead.

Essential elements to get signed:

1. luck

2. perfect sound at the perfect time

3. Uniqueness without trying too hard

4. a great image/great networking

5. knowledge of the right style for the right label (similar to 2)

6. A proper market for your sound, not too saturated, not too few looking for it.

7. Enough talent to make something that isn't easily replicated (unless youre basshunter) but once again not trying too hard.

8. Hard work ethic. Keep trying, promote your self, get a following etc.

9. to go along with number 8, don't fuck up and ruin your image by trying too hard when you're not good enough yet. Might hurt your reputation and mess up your chances.

10. don't make IDM, shit's dead.

wtf is IDM?

i'm being serious.

Guest theSun

i would ask wisp but he's too busy plowing through crowds of mexican idmmers in his new ferrari

wisp negotiated with rdj to get a ferrari, maybe you should try that.

Guest Glass Plate

I think he meant MIDI

no MIDI is the hot shit atm. Listen to the new hud mo man midi tones can kick it raw lalalalalalalwlwlwa

The epitome of most IDM sound to me is Gareth Clarke's self-titled LP. Anything even similar to that should never be made again, that was the last nail in the coffin IMO.

Other main examples of idm: Proswell/Ilkae , Quinoline Yellow and Gescom/Freeform.

I love this music, but you can't be trying to think in the same terms as them.

fuck i've found that if I went out of my way to make a particular genre it sucked shit anyway so I'm just going to make whatever i want provided my "talent" is still accessible, which I am beginning to seriously doubt. As far as being on a label I couldn't really care anymore. I mean, sure, it would be cool to have my shit on some vinyl, hell I'd love that, but imo listening and enjoying the end result of your creative labors is what makes making music enjoyable in the 1st place. To me anyway. Playing live is fun too.

Guest Glass Plate

But that may change. There was a time when I'm sure everyone thought acid techno was completely dead, then look what happened.

Well I dont think a single song I've liked in the acid style form the last 5 years would be the same as traditional ACID TECHNO. Artists like EOD, EDMX, CMA, etc. are not making standard Acid Techno, it's a total re-configuration of the ACID format, and that's why it made a comeback.

If IDM comes back it's not going to be the same.

Archived