IGNORED

Nintendo DS Lite or Nintendo DSi?

Squee

So, about 2 years ago I made a topic asking why I should buy a Nintendo DS but for some reason or another I never actually bought one. I've always been a sucker for handheld gaming and I've decided that now is the time to buy one, but should I buy a DS Lite or DSi? I know the DSi isn't that much more expensive than the DS Lite, and it's got a camera and so on, but I was just wondering if it's worth it? I've just read Kotaku's article on this but I was just wondering if one could for a DS Lite or do any major games actually make use of the DSi's camera? I know they've showed off a DSi Wario game that made use of the camera but is it worth the extra money?

if you plan to play homebrew/etc games on it via cycloDS or similar, get a DS lite, the DSi's latest firmware upgrade won't run unauthorised cartridges.

but otherwise, the DSi seems pretty cool, with the sd card slot and such.

What about the Scumm Engine thingie? VMScumm, I think it's called. Will that run on the DSi?

hmm, dunno. this thread has some interesting discussion:

http://www.teamcyclops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10062

i didn't read it all though, there may be a solution! i'm sure a hack or equivalent will happen eventually.

Guest GrandPopPoplock

I've been debating over this too, sir .

The DSi feels better in your hands , it has an internet browser and it can take photos ( I think you can upload music to it ) I'm still looking at the Lite...mainly because it can play gameboy advanced games and I still play a lot of advance games . The DSi doesn't have the advance slot anymore. They got rid of it for a memory card slot .

eh...I don't know

I know I'm going to get bashed as a Sony fanboy here, but:

I'd really consider the PSP - if you're wanting a device that can do emulation (it's not hard to hack a PSP; easier than a DS/DSi (and I know, because my kids have DS/DSi and the R4 and the new cart for the DSi are hard to get and can be expensive, and are not really that reliable), has a larger screen, better web browsing (at this point though, it must be said that neither the DS/DSi or PSP have decent web browsers, and I haven't tried installing Opera Mini on my PSP yet), and overall a more powerful piece of hardware, then PSP is it - also, getting a PSP 1000 or PSP 2000 (the devices that are 100% hackable; the PSPGo and PSP 3000 are not hackable yet/semi hackable at this point) is cheaper than a DSi (especially used, where you actually can get a pre-hacked PSP in some cases).

Now, that said, if you are a die-hard Nintendo fan, you're limited to Gameboy Advance emulation on the PSP at the moment, but considering you can run just about every other emulator on there (DS doesn't have too many emulators at the moment), you've got a larger library to choose from, although the PSP games themselves should keep you happy (and 8GB memory sticks can be had for as little as 22.00).

Guest GrandPopPoplock

I'd really consider the PSP - if you're wanting a device that can do emulation (it's not hard to hack a PSP; easier than a DS/DSi (and I know, because my kids have DS/DSi and the R4 and the new cart for the DSi are hard to get and can be expensive, and are not really that reliable), has a larger screen, better web browsing (at this point though, it must be said that neither the DS/DSi or PSP have decent web browsers, and I haven't tried installing Opera Mini on my PSP yet), and overall a more powerful piece of hardware, then PSP is it - also, getting a PSP 1000 or PSP 2000 (the devices that are 100% hackable; the PSPGo and PSP 3000 are not hackable yet/semi hackable at this point) is cheaper than a DSi (especially used, where you actually can get a pre-hacked PSP in some cases).

Now, that said, if you are a die-hard Nintendo fan, you're limited to Gameboy Advance emulation on the PSP at the moment, but considering you can run just about every other emulator on there (DS doesn't have too many emulators at the moment), you've got a larger library to choose from, although the PSP games themselves should keep you happy (and 8GB memory sticks can be had for as little as 22.00).

How dare you 1+ up me , Joyrex....how dare you !

it really comes down to whether you value playing GBA games over DSiware. i havent seen that much on ware worth downloading, except the remakes of Art Style and now they've split up Electroplankton into separate games. if you decide to get Korg DS10, make sure you get the right version as there is one for each model as well.

for once i agree with joyrex, when it comes to a psp its AWESOME, hacking is EZ and loads of cool tracker programes and any game any console emulation!

!

TALK TO ME ABOUT THIS

What do I need to get started?

http://www.leetmod.com/r4ds-cartridge-for-ds-and-ds-lite-new-pack-p-183.html + a micro sd is like $18

but this is http://www.realhotstuff.com/sdhc-microsd-bundle-p-484.html twice as much. does it matter?

help me out.

TALK TO ME ABOUT THIS

What do I need to get started?

http://www.leetmod.com/r4ds-cartridge-for-ds-and-ds-lite-new-pack-p-183.html + a micro sd is like $18

but this is http://www.realhotstuff.com/sdhc-microsd-bundle-p-484.html twice as much. does it matter?

help me out.

i haven't tried anything except the max media dock (utter utter shit) and the cyclo DS (probably one of the best out there):

http://www.ozmodchips.com/cyclods-evolution-p-26.html

but yeah the r4 seems like a good option

Archived