IGNORED

Underworld

essines

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rick Smith is of the same or higher production caliber than an of our featured artists. Karl will go on in interviews about how Rick may spend months adjusting and just shifting around little bits in their tracks before having a final product. And I've definitely got to hand it to them for this - they aren't at all resistant to popularity in the way that some of our favorite music on here is. What a rich history as well, I mean these two guys have been around together in some musical form since 1979.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ron Manager

I have so much respect for Underworld. like some others have said, they've been hugely influential in my musical development. My first username here at WATMM was 'kiteless'. I love them but I've never really listened to anything post-Hundred Days Off. I'm sure it's pretty good, but I suppose I'm worried that it won't meet expectations. I strongly associate them with a certain period of my life (maybe 2002-05), and I consider their dubnobasswithmyheadman through A Hundred Days Off era a fucking amazing canon of music that I don't want to spoil.

• 11 months later...
Guest Ron Manager

i actually don't really rate Jumbo... it's a nice enough song, but for some reason it just never clicked with me. i think Beaucoup is on the whole probably the weakest of their earlier albums. i love the hell out of Cups, Push Downstairs, Something Like A Mama, Winjer, but the singles are a big let down. Jumbo, Push Upstairs, King of Snake and Bruce Lee are all just really meh.

One of my favorites is the Blue Mountain set. It's on their site here.

That show is amazing. Also, on John Peel 10-12-03, that's great too.

does anyone have the blue mountain show on flac?? i thought i had it but i can't find it, and it's not available on underworldlive.com anymore as far as i can tell. hook me up please!!!

i'm pretty sure those shows were never released on anything greater than low mp3. my Blue Mountain (from underworldlive.com back in the day) is 192kbps, Fuji Festival and Belfort are 128! such a shame. i'd love to know if high-quality versions were around.

Underworld have always been NPR darlings. I can distinctly remember the tide turning when my mom came home from work in 1999 and said that she heard about Underworld on Fresh Air. She said "aren't they one of your Martian music guys"?

wow dude I have goosebumps - I recognize that your signature is one of the comments on a flim video I made and uploaded, "flim saver"

I just discovered underworld - jumbo.

wow

"Oh so yours just started? Kudos. Ya know I envy you... Wish I could go back... Do it all over. You wanna know what it really is? What it's all about? ... John Chapter 9, verse 25: Whereas once I was blind, now I can see."

Archived