IGNORED

Underworld

essines

I happened to lose interest in them around the time he left, but it had nothing to do with his presence or absence. He was still in the band when Beaucoup Fish came out, and that's what turned me away a little. I should revisit that one of these days though, I might like it more now than I did then. I might even like A Hundred Days Off and Oblivion With Bells if I gave them a chance.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

been listening for over 10 years now, great stuff. i second the cowgirl/dirty epic and dark and long singles, great stuff. and also the blue mountain show is awesome, "please help me / cappe ffuno" is great. footwear repairs is awesome too.

my friend had an art exhibition about 5 years back where he had artists do up skateboards and he asked tomato to do it fully expecting a rejection. they accepted, so now he has a one of a kind skateboard thats laser-etched with tomato art.

just realized tomato has this listed on their website, crazy!!

I happened to lose interest in them around the time he left, but it had nothing to do with his presence or absence. He was still in the band when Beaucoup Fish came out, and that's what turned me away a little.

I still love the ol' Underworld, but I do think they lost some of their 'epicness' when he left. There's definitely a shift in the style of their albums post Beaucoup Fish which doesn't have some of the immediacy of their earlier work.

Guest assegai

did anyone get that mmm skyscraper book? i love tomato art and was wondering if its worth the $20

skyscraper01.gif

Yeah. It's lengthly and the pages are thick, it's mostly b&w typography. I'd consider it more of a collectible.

did anyone get that mmm skyscraper book? i love tomato art and was wondering if its worth the $20

skyscraper01.gif

Yeah. It's lengthly and the pages are thick, it's mostly b&w typography. I'd consider it more of a collectible.

yeah thats the kind of tomato artwork that i like, the typography stuff. thanks

• 3 months later...

I just woke up from a dream about this thread, and my support of Dubnobasswithmyheadman, Second Toughest in the Infants, and supporting EPs. It was like we were all actually talking.

I think I know what I must do today.

Guest Ron Manager

One of my favorites is the Blue Mountain set. It's on their site here.

That show is amazing. Also, on John Peel 10-12-03, that's great too.

another one of my favorites... but i think i paid more attention to them during "second toughest" and "beaucoupe fish". i am down with the last 2 they released, but don't know the albums from beginning to end like i do the former.

Guest margaret thatcher

That show is amazing. Also, on John Peel 10-12-03, that's great too.

ah yeah, i was the one on the dirtyforum who recorded the peel show from the radio when it happened.

i uploaded the wav, stuck it on a cd for me, and went to berlin the next day. fucking cold it was. soundtrack to my travels though.

trim from that session was the fucking tits.

also i remember listening to zane lowe before peel's show that night - he played cowgirl and sang along with the verse bit. only time i ever liked that fucker.

also, essines, cowgirl's on the everythingeverything cd/dvd, after rez. and it absolutely fucking kills.

Guest Hanratty

I havent seen the dvd, but i've had the everything, everything cd for years and it has SO much energy. for me it is better than their albums because every track rocks a little more. it made me like 2nd toughest less

I'm not into Underworld as much as I used to be, and I feel guilty that the only album of theirs that I still like is Beaucoup Fish.

Jumbo is just one of those songs that seem almost perfect to me... like I could listen to just that one track all day.

Guest Sir Winston

I do love the first two albums but Beaucoup Fish has to be my fave as it reminds me of being 16 in the summer when it came out. The gig we went to around the same time was pretty special too so its more a personal thing.

Guest Greg Reason

I love or at least like pretty much everything Underworld have done but personally I think the era they're in now is their greatest. I'm a Big Sister... is incredible and Oblivion with Bells is sheer perfection. I don't think the other albums come anywhere near that one

pretty much love all their stuff MK2 onwards.

oddly enough, I actually liked the horrible rap track on the last album....its really cheesy, but its got a really upbeat uplifting sorta feel to it and Im hoping they were just acting stupid talkin about every sunny day slaggin off.

Everything, Everything I could listen to again and again.

Enjoying the love for their later stuff. Oblivion With Bells is my favourite Underworld record. Ring Road is uplifting and fun and doesn't deserve the hatred it gets. LovelyBrokenThing is great, their soundtrack work is grand... ah, pretty stoked for a new album this year too.

As time goes by I like them more and more.

Guest Greg Reason

Yup, they are a hell of an experience live!! My God...

I also had the good fortune of seeing all three shows that Karl Hyde did with Brian Eno at the Sydney Opera House... That was a very cool event. Hyde had a little poetry book and a desk full of electronic goodies connected to a mixing console and he'd just sort of sit there rocking on hi chair and going into little spasms until he'd grab the mic and start rambling, occasionally taking verses from his book but often just standing up and pacing, going at it free form.

Favourite Underworld tracks at this point... 'Best Mamgu Ever'... 'Ess Gee'... 'Moaner'... 'Beautiful Burnout'

Yup, they are a hell of an experience live!! My God...

I also had the good fortune of seeing all three shows that Karl Hyde did with Brian Eno at the Sydney Opera House... That was a very cool event. Hyde had a little poetry book and a desk full of electronic goodies connected to a mixing console and he'd just sort of sit there rocking on hi chair and going into little spasms until he'd grab the mic and start rambling, occasionally taking verses from his book but often just standing up and pacing, going at it free form.

Favourite Underworld tracks at this point... 'Best Mamgu Ever'... 'Ess Gee'... 'Moaner'... 'Beautiful Burnout'

im tempted to suffer through batman and robin again just to see how it fits into the movie

Archived