IGNORED

Underworld

essines

everything about that album is brilliant IMHO

if it wasn't underworld youd have nonstop complaints about the preset dance claps, cymbals, all that, but it just WORKS, works so well within this.

it is more trancey and "mainstreamy" but they always seemed to have the mainstream vibe but took it in a different direction.

underworld is an excellent testament to the fact that IDMers do indeed, get hard into straight up groovy dance musics now and then.

btw, Sola Sistem ftw....so underrated.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest margaret thatcher

i have some flacs of unreleased dubnobass outtakes from a dat tape, if anyone's interested.

P.S. can anyone halp with details about a new album in 2010? Was that my hopeful imagination or did someone actually mention it?

Underworldlive/twitter/Facebook has them talking about recording and I think there was an update about entering the mixing stage quite recently. There'll be new material this year, either way.

Oh man, Best Mamgu Ever. Best Song Ever. Actually, my favourite Underworld track is Luetin. Then Best Mamgu Ever. But they're both so good it hurts.

Guest Greg Reason

P.S. can anyone halp with details about a new album in 2010? Was that my hopeful imagination or did someone actually mention it?

I had a small chat with Karl at the Opera House, this was back in June last year but he said that towards the start of this year they would likely do a short tour of Asia and possibly Australia again and then head back home and finish up the album.

He also said they were going to go through the catalog one by one and reissue them all on vinyl using Direct Metal Mastering because they did the first two and he loved the results so much they want to do all of them again. He said it was like hearing them for the first time. I asked if they would do the Riverrun stuff on record this time and he said they probably would but there was no definite decision made yet.

Guest margaret thatcher

right then

a dat was found, dated 1993, with the following tracks:

01 : dirty epic

02 : jamscraper [from mmm...skyscraper single]

03 : big meat show

<download>

04 : mmm skyscraper i love you

05 : organ

<download>

06 : river of bass [extended]

07 : dark and long

08 : dirty fuzz [aka dirty guitar from dirty epic single]

09 : can u feel me

<download>

10 : goodbye mother earth [aka m.e.]

all tracks are the same as dubnobass versions, except where noted.

i'm not uploading the released tracks, for obvious reasons. but i've uploaded the unreleased ones.

i think this dat was made just before underworld started moving into more techno-based stuff, like rez, cowgirl, surfboy and dark train...

*how about the pro fucking move of the "Everything, Everything" version of "Cowgirl/Rez" where they "let you in" on their little secret. It's at the very end when the arpeggios, one by one, start firing off more and more slowly, and then suddenly they get so clean and you realize that it's just probably a Nord preset or something that they overdrove the hell out of to get that unforgettable sound. All the while, that pad drones in the back of it in the same key and does that final crescendo and it's done....fucking great.

the rez/cowgirl version on the bootleg babies compilation starts off like this, awesome sounds.

right then

a dat was found, dated 1993, with the following tracks:

thanks!

i am very interested, mrs. thatcher.

wait, reissuing stuff on vinyl?

im all over that shit...cant wait...did he sound like it was a sure thing? the vinyl, i mean?

Guest Greg Reason

Definitely. The first two albums are already out in DMM. The rest are to follow shortly. The only thing he wasn't sure about was whether the Riverrun stuff would be pressed to wax (Lovely Broken Thing, Pizza for Eggs, I'm a Big Sister...)

*edit* in saying "first two" I'm not counting Underneath the Radar, heh

• 7 months later...

Was gonna start a new thread but I thought that'd be too self indulgent.

I've sorta "rediscovered" Underworld now that Barking came out, got that and Oblivion with Bells and Dubnobasswithmyheadman in the last couple of weeks. So now I have all the studio albums. Oblivion With Bells is probably my favourite now... I still really like Beaucoup Fish but I get bored of the last 3 tracks, whereas OWB ends with two amazing tracks which makes it feel more satisfying.

I was surprised by how cheesy Dubnobass is but then I guess it was 1993. I still quite like it but in a similar way to Barking... both those albums are kinda goofy and remind me of being a teenager again (except Barking is obviously more intentionally goofy). M.E is a good example that is ULTRA CHEESE but I love it so much... it's like awesome videogame music with new agey lyrics... I haven't heard any Underworld track make as much sense as that... just after singing earnestly about being "the spoonman" and "Christ on crutches"...

Also, I'm pretty embarrassed to admit that I only just realised that Karl Hyde puts on an american accent for some songs. And I always wondered to myself "man... how does he manage to sound so different on Cowgirl and Push Upstairs?"

• 6 months later...

One of my favorites is the Blue Mountain set. It's on their site here.

That show is amazing. Also, on John Peel 10-12-03, that's great too.

does anyone have the blue mountain show on flac?? i thought i had it but i can't find it, and it's not available on underworldlive.com anymore as far as i can tell. hook me up please!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know if I could tolerate Underworld live. Just putting in "Everything, Everything" in my DVD player or watching that Dortmund concert from '08 is literally like dropping an E--all of those night drives on wet country roads listening to "Second Toughest in the Infants" when I was 18, "Beaucoup Fish" all through my 3rd year of college, getting married around "100 Days Off" and having those agogos, cowbells, and rez snaps at the very end of "2 Months Off" make me drum in the air with joy as I thought about how great life was. You just can't get that shit back--it's here and gone before you knew how good it could be.

When they got on stage, all of that would come back, the strobes would start, Karl would start shimmying in his sequined sport coat screaming about "beautiful vibrations!", the "Rez/Cowgirl" arpeggios* would fade up and I seriously feel like I could seize or something and rescue would have to crowdsurf me to the ambulance and I'd wake up realizing I'd missed the concert and bust open the cabinet in the ER/A&E, get a bag of potassium chloride, and replace my IV with it full force so I could crystallize the brief moments and then die. I'd probably run "To Heal" off of "Orblivion With Bells" in my head to send my craft out to sea, as they say.

*how about the pro fucking move of the "Everything, Everything" version of "Cowgirl/Rez" where they "let you in" on their little secret. It's at the very end when the arpeggios, one by one, start firing off more and more slowly, and then suddenly they get so clean and you realize that it's just probably a Nord preset or something that they overdrove the hell out of to get that unforgettable sound. All the while, that pad drones in the back of it in the same key and does that final crescendo and it's done....fucking great.

good post

I've been on an Underworld spree. the song 'bird 1' off their most recent album is fantastic apart from the early stuff I've been spinning over and over.

I love that track. It's nearly seven minutes, but when I first bought the album, I played that one over and over again.

It's a lot like "Confusion the Waitress," which is another favorite track of mine.

Archived