IGNORED

music shuffling

Guest Calx Sherbet

Sure I shuffle sometimes. Above all I'm an album listener no doubt, but on occasion (usually at home) I don't know what to listen to so I'll hit shuffle and see what comes up. Sometimes it'll inspire me to play a particular album I haven't heard in a while, or something new I haven't listened to yet. Also if I'm at work and just finished an album but don't have time for an entire album before I'm done with work, I might shuffle for a bit.

I think people who do nothing but shuffle are products of the mp3 generation, and suck.

i love that 'side', i have a 250+ GB music collection so it is important to do

this process every so often to hone in on artists i may have neglected or that are hiding :smile:

i can totally relate 'sidewinder', and now im inspired to do that right now.......

...and ....oooo. 'WE' √-1 came up, i haven't listened to WE in awhile, he should go on the

'biggest bass' thread now that i think of it :smile:

I listen to certain genres on shuffle, like reggae for example, or most hip-hop (Vaudeville Villain and Illmatic are ones that I usually have to listen to all the way through), or pop/rock stuff.

House singles also get shuffled.

Other stuff gets albumized. IDMzors ambient electro (the radioactive man albums are such a treat all the way through) etc....

Guest Glass Plate

A lot of people with an excessive amount of music files while make a playlist for all of their music files (pirated mp3's) they haven't listened to yet, and work it down until they're familiar with all of their music. I don't do this, fuck those people that have to remind themselves what they even downloaded.

I can't stand shuffle either. Well sometimes I use it to skip through my library without listening and play the first album I'd like to hear.

And about those schuffle functions not beeing random. My Creative MP3 player has this feature called "Album of the day" that seriously pisses me off. It's supposed to select a random album every time chosen and it can be conveniently mapped to a button. Except it isn't really random so I always see the same albums coming back and some albums never get into rotation. Does anyone here have an X-Fi 2, have they fixed this?

Guest Calx Sherbet

i shuffle my entire library of 5 billion songs and it only plays gomez and outkast

I know you're wearing a silly hat to some extent but I have this problem. My Foobar feeds from two Seagate externals for a total of 21,383 songs

does this ever overwhelm you?

Guest hahathhat

i grow playlists over weeks and months at a time -- MC Shuffle drops it heavy at times. if it's not in the groove, i just switch off shuffle and let it play linearly. if i want to hear something specific, i find it on the list or add it to the end.

i shuffle music i'm familiar with already, can't imagine just putting it on shuffle all the time. i tend to always listen to albums on my home stereo first, then when i rip it to itunes i shuffle. somehow the only things that ever come up are aphex tracks that i hate and radiohead, two things i basically stopped listening to five years ago.

I never turn shuffle on because it usually picks a song that I don't want to listen to at that particular moment, so I end up having to pressing skip until it selects something that I like. :closedeyes:

I like building up bigass playlists out of random tracks I ripped off of radiostations, I always shuffle them

my biggest one is a 250hr ambient.. and a chillout/electronic playlist

I also have a "chaos" playlist filled with all kinds of music, for indecisive partying

i shuffle my entire library of 5 billion songs and it only plays gomez and outkast

I know you're wearing a silly hat to some extent but I have this problem. My Foobar feeds from two Seagate externals for a total of 21,383 songs

does this ever overwhelm you?

I lol'd fucking HARD.

I sometimes feel that my music acquisition takes on an overwhelmingly frightening trajectory; it is at this point that I stop the madness and listen to it all from top to bottom in one giant orgy on a Sunday when I am incapable of physical or mental activity.

I know you're wearing a silly hat to some extent but I have this problem. My Foobar feeds from two Seagate externals for a total of 21,383 songs--my entire musical acquisitions stemming from age 11. So, contrary to what some people think is stupid, I like to start random and be surprised. If it stops on something I want to do the whole album for, I switch back to default playback until I wanna move on. The thing of it is, even though it's an allegedly random process, I could fucking swear I land on the same tracks or artists repeatedly. It's probably some kind of psychological effect mixed with probability theory but I've really been looking for a solution for it lately. It would be nice to have a system where played tracks are removed from the list for a period so that the marbles in the bag get a fair shake when being selected.

http://www.foobar2000.org/FAQ#random_shuffle_playback_order.

• 1 month later...

Archived