IGNORED

Introduce a Lesser Known Artist

Guest Adjective

Guest Calx Sherbet

oh my god, that's definitely cool and interesting/ didn't know about him

that sweeney pic is so weird, but great

doesn't mccarthy do video art too? i remember seeing this surreal painting lesson presented by an exaggeratedly-proportioned clown, just sputtering incomprehensible syllables and sounds as he smeared paint with a huge brush

scott anderson

1240326382.jpeg

6.jpg

1.jpg

featured in beautiful/decay several months ago; pulls influences from both mysticism/spiritualism and science fiction...not wholly dissimilar from sweeney in their influence from the lovecraftian style. i find his inconsistencies in figure/ground relation both jarring and really interesting–his scenarios interrupted by flat geometric forms and color, that sort of thing

the delightfully nutty paul laffoley

paul-laffoley1.jpg

alchemytelenomic_2.jpg

pic5.jpg

captain beefheart (don van vliet) has some amazing works, tho hes not really well known for painting.

boat.jpg

crepe.jpg

birdie.jpg

rum.jpg

I don't feel well after seeing a lot of these pictures in this thread. They're brilliant, no doubt--they just give me a sense of dread.

I am about to cheer you up :)

forest-sverre-malling_.jpg

Sverre Malling, I don't really know his work that well, but this one does my head in.

my avatar is from brian dettmer, an artist that creates skeletons out of casette tapes

Brian Dettmer (born 1974) is an American contemporary artist. He is noted for his alteration of preexisting media -- such as old books, maps, record albums, and cassette tapes -- to create new, transformed works of visual fine art.

det1.jpg

det9.jpg

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/10/view/7343/brian-dettmer-cassette-tape-skeletons.html

he's also done a lot of book autopsies

http://centripetalnotion.com/2007/09/13/13:26:26/

briandettmer1.jpg

Archived