IGNORED

Nice Nice

jeremymacgregor87

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Electronic music survived long before Warp, and was doing much more interesting stuff than before it came around, the idea of a label is to make money, that is why they sell cds, just because the people that run the label have changed tack, doesn't mean they've abandoned their principles, it just means they've added different types of music to their roster. Do you honestly think that signing Nice Nice is going to give them money and power? If you do you're as mental as ET.

How do you know Warp is obsessed with Pitchfork, do you know the people that run the label personally? Do you know their taste? Just because it doesn't match yours personally, doesn't mean they've started releasing shit.

I don't see why it bothers people so much, I've never got into following a label, I just listen to music.

And comparing it to Star Wars? LOL! Anyone that got worked up about that whole thing should probably reconsider their life.

Electronic was at its prime I think during the 90's and I personally enjoy a lot of 90's Warp releases. I understand that the label has to make money, but I don't think that's why people get into starting labels. There's probably a lot easier ways of making money .

Your defending a company (not the music), while all I am simply doing is stating an opinion. My opinion is that Nice Nice isn't good music (from what I have heard), and a majority of the more recent signings/output hasn't been too good.

As far as Pitchfork there is a number of reasons why I made that conclusion. For one I interned there and was in the same tiny office as their editor/owner Ryan Schreiber. Not saying I have conspiracy information or anything, but I simply know that Warp is in good contact with him and he is a fan of their label. Warp also seems obsessed with putting Pitchfork reviews of their releases on their website (over any other website)... So clearly their is mutual respect.

I follow labels only when I can trust their tastes. Kranky for example seems to be pretty consistent with me. Warp used to. Labels are a great way to find new music, and they also have an influence on the music that is made. When some unknown kid sees what all the labels are outputting, he/she is probably going to be more inclined to output something similar (if their intention is to get signed). So thats another reason I care...

Re-examine my life? Cause I was disappointed Star Wars Prequels? LOL That's such an exaggeration... we are on a message board right now and your arguing to me about why I am wrong for being disappointed with Warp. Your arguing why an opinion is wrong, while also defending a company which clearly understands the music we here all love, but is now focusing on a new "tactic" (like you said) to make money. Instead of trying to find new inventive electronic artists they are going for this indie-folk crap because its the current flavor of the month.

And don't tell me their tastes have changed. If you look at Beckett's Warp20 (chosen) out of 14 tracks only 4 would fall under indie stuff (Grizzly Bear, Battles, Broadcast, and Jamie Lidell). And only 5 of the 14 are newer signings (same list but with Flying Lotus). So you got 9 out of 14 tracks being 90's/early 00's Warp signings.

Anyone that enjoys Star Wars needs to re-examine their life, at any level.

Fuck music if it isn't strictly electronic, there will be no room for that kind of thing if music is to progress, we need to keep things exactly how they were 10 years ago.

Star Wars is great, and that last point is a terrible joke.

I don't think there was a lot like Autechre/Squarepusher/Aphex in the mid 90s. I remember when Amber came out in 94... that was something else. Then Tri repetae in '95. Plus Analogue Bubblebath 4, SAW 2 and ICBYD from Aphex in those same two years. Squarepusher a little late to the game in 96 but man Feed Me Weird Things...come on there wasn't anything like that going on in 96 (and yes I know it was on Rephlex...) The intricacies of his edits...damn.

maybe not amber or aphex/squarepusher, but morton subotnick was making confield-quality sounds in 1968. and harmonia did some pretty mindblowing stuff in the 70s too.

Exactly mang, Morton was rockin' the Autechre sound a long time before Warp came along.

Star Wars is great, and that last point is a terrible joke.

This whole thread is a terrible joke.

I don't think there was a lot like Autechre/Squarepusher/Aphex in the mid 90s. I remember when Amber came out in 94... that was something else. Then Tri repetae in '95. Plus Analogue Bubblebath 4, SAW 2 and ICBYD from Aphex in those same two years. Squarepusher a little late to the game in 96 but man Feed Me Weird Things...come on there wasn't anything like that going on in 96 (and yes I know it was on Rephlex...) The intricacies of his edits...damn.

maybe not amber or aphex/squarepusher, but morton subotnick was making confield-quality sounds in 1968. and harmonia did some pretty mindblowing stuff in the 70s too.

I don't think Subotnick's work sounds much like Confield at all. "Silver Apples in the Moon" which came out in 68 is pretty, but it's very different from Confield. "Sidewinder" from 71 might be closer to Confield in timbre, but it's still quite distinct. I suppose that's an inherent quality of working with analogue modular synthesis vs DSP. And to me the rhythmic aspect of Confield is much more progressive than anything Subotnick put out. I'm not saying there wasn't electronic music before Warp, but in terms of (somewhat) popular electronic music, Warp was the shit in the mid 90s. They were definitely pushing new ideas.

Also, I'm curious, and not that age really plays a huge role, but how old was Dan C when Amber came out?

And yeah Nice Nice...I like this as well.

yeah confield was probably the wrong example, but there are definitely some autechre-ish sounds at least in 'the wild bull'.

and i do agree warp brought electronic music to a lot more people, i just think there was no real 'peak' in quality. though imo it probably went downhill after about 2001.

who was that one a few weeks ago? sounded like some old alky tramp with a casiotone?

that was a low

lol, there used to be an old weird nerdy guy with a casio keyboard who would busk in the city streets where i used to live. he was awesome. i hope it's him.

and karma, you seem to be taking thes ever so personally for someone who was 6 when ICBYD came out

thats exactly why I am taking this personally... If I had been as fortunate as some of you to be able to grow up with 90's electronic music, I would have lived through that. Most if not all the music I truly love came before my existence.

4 more tracks on the myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/nicenice

All the "blah blah Indie Rock rabble rabble if it weren't maked with the machines then I don't even blah blah" folks should check out I'm a Human Person and You're a Human Person, both of which I dug more than either of the tracks up on Warp.

Jury is still out on these guys for sure.

I can't edit the above post for some reason. Just listened to the other two myspace tracks. "Dawn of Dusk pt. 1" is 5 minutes of acoustic guitar noodling with occasional mallet rolls on a ride symbol, ambient feel, definitely listenable but it never really goes anywhere. "Uhoh" is a slow one with a hip-hop/dubstep feel, didn't really do much for me but some on here will like it.

Again, jury still out.

geez people, different people like different things.

stop taking it all so personally.

i for one, like Nice Nice. Been playing up their free tracks for the last few days.

• 6 months later...
Guest Greg Reason

I listened to both tracks, and frankly, I can't see what they hear in this duo in terms of "good music".

I'm not sure that Warp have much to do with good music at all these days. Lucky they've still got ae

Guest Greg Reason

Hudson + Squarpsh = boring

Fly Lo + Clark = good but by no means ingenius

Prefuse = patchy and nowhere near as good as Savath + Savalas (who are on Anti)

Gonja = overrated

Guest Backson

wow, now I've heard everything.

Guest Greg Reason

wow, now I've heard everything.

If you've heard everything then you'd know that I just spoke truth :emotawesomepm9:

Archived