IGNORED

Nice Nice

jeremymacgregor87

they're certainly interesting. i'll probably check them out if they don't have any other songs that sound like 'one hit'.

I started to listening to 'Ark Drum'. I had to take off my headphones to talk to someone for 2 and a half minutes. When I put them back on, the song still sounded exactly the same. Fail.

zole, i'm guessing you've never listened to krautrock? or early idm?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that Warp is returning to 7" vinyl for debut artists, but these new acts make me wanna cry. It's clear to me the Warp we all loved from the 90s is gone now, replaced by an indie rock label. I wish they would put these bands on a sub-label like Lex was for more hip hop inspired acts. I don't understand why these bands want to be on this label anyway, apart from their distribution chain and bleep.

I love that Warp is returning to 7" vinyl for debut artists, but these new acts make me wanna cry. It's clear to me the Warp we all loved from the 90s is gone now, replaced by an indie rock label. I wish they would put these bands on a sub-label like Lex was for more hip hop inspired acts. I don't understand why these bands want to be on this label anyway, apart from their distribution chain and bleep.

but it's not gone. they never stopped releasing electronic music. though i kinda agree that they could have used a sub-label or something.

you don't understand why a post-rock band would want to be on warp? i know at least pivot probably have more electronic influences than non-electronic. a lot of it being warp stuff. why wouldn't you want to be on a label that also releases stuff by your favourite musicians? i'd love to release my post-rock stuff on warp, it means people might actually listen to it once in a while!

I can see Battles and Pivot having appeal to traditional Warp fans, what I cannot get is the influx of indie rock bands, and these fucking terrible neo-folk noise acts that sound like they are playing for change in a subway getting hyped as the next big thing. I mean compared to them HudMo seems like a sensible choice even though I loathe his material.

fucking terrible neo-folk noise acts that sound like they are playing for change in a subway getting hyped as the next big thing.

ugh yeah, i can't stand most of that shit. too much 'weird for the sake of being weird'. though i do like grizzly bear, at least they can write decent songs.

I don't get what everyone is bitching about, it's only a band getting signed to a label, people don't get like this when a movie is released through a studio that released something they liked in the past, or when a show company that used to make a very comfortable men's loafer starts making a more daring Cuban heel. It doesn't affect you in any way, or the way you listen to music you enjoy that just happens to come from the same label... it fucking shouldn't anyway.

I don't get what everyone is bitching about, it's only a band getting signed to a label, people don't get like this when a movie is released through a studio that released something they liked in the past, or when a show company that used to make a very comfortable men's loafer starts making a more daring Cuban heel. It doesn't affect you in any way, or the way you listen to music you enjoy that just happens to come from the same label... it fucking shouldn't anyway.

Warp is one of the leading electronic labels... when the leading electronic label begins to cease to release solid electronic music, it has me worried about the future of electronic music and music in general. It's the same principal of an artists who started off great and released amazing albums but then slowly got bought out and now is releasing shit. Sure you will always have the old great albums to listen to, but you cease to get very excited about that artists current/future music.

You could also compare it to the new Star Wars movies. Because the new ones suck so hard, it has kind of made the entire universe of Star Wars less enthralling and exciting, at least compared to how it was viewed before.

Warp had a tremendous catalog during the 90's and early 00's ... but who in the hell is Warp signing these days other then maybe Bibio and Flying Lotus, that has the same potential to bring that level of quality again? Warp is obsessed with the "pitchfork" scene right now, and to me that shows they as a label have lost all sense of leadership.

Luckily labels are on their way out as artist gain more power and control through digital distribution... so as we go further into the future, we'll hopefully start to see real innovation from musicians who release/promote themselves.

But in the meantime, Warp has abandoned their original principals for money and power. So why shouldn't I voice my opinion negatively?

Electronic music survived long before Warp, and was doing much more interesting stuff than before it came around, the idea of a label is to make money, that is why they sell cds, just because the people that run the label have changed tack, doesn't mean they've abandoned their principles, it just means they've added different types of music to their roster. Do you honestly think that signing Nice Nice is going to give them money and power? If you do you're as mental as ET.

How do you know Warp is obsessed with Pitchfork, do you know the people that run the label personally? Do you know their taste? Just because it doesn't match yours personally, doesn't mean they've started releasing shit.

I don't see why it bothers people so much, I've never got into following a label, I just listen to music.

And comparing it to Star Wars? LOL! Anyone that got worked up about that whole thing should probably reconsider their life.

Electronic music survived long before Warp, and was doing much more interesting stuff than before it came around, the idea of a label is to make money, that is why they sell cds, just because the people that run the label have changed tack, doesn't mean they've abandoned their principles, it just means they've added different types of music to their roster. Do you honestly think that signing Nice Nice is going to give them money and power? If you do you're as mental as ET.

How do you know Warp is obsessed with Pitchfork, do you know the people that run the label personally? Do you know their taste? Just because it doesn't match yours personally, doesn't mean they've started releasing shit.

I don't see why it bothers people so much, I've never got into following a label, I just listen to music.

And comparing it to Star Wars? LOL! Anyone that got worked up about that whole thing should probably reconsider their life.

Electronic was at its prime I think during the 90's and I personally enjoy a lot of 90's Warp releases. I understand that the label has to make money, but I don't think that's why people get into starting labels. There's probably a lot easier ways of making money .

Your defending a company (not the music), while all I am simply doing is stating an opinion. My opinion is that Nice Nice isn't good music (from what I have heard), and a majority of the more recent signings/output hasn't been too good.

As far as Pitchfork there is a number of reasons why I made that conclusion. For one I interned there and was in the same tiny office as their editor/owner Ryan Schreiber. Not saying I have conspiracy information or anything, but I simply know that Warp is in good contact with him and he is a fan of their label. Warp also seems obsessed with putting Pitchfork reviews of their releases on their website (over any other website)... So clearly their is mutual respect.

I follow labels only when I can trust their tastes. Kranky for example seems to be pretty consistent with me. Warp used to. Labels are a great way to find new music, and they also have an influence on the music that is made. When some unknown kid sees what all the labels are outputting, he/she is probably going to be more inclined to output something similar (if their intention is to get signed). So thats another reason I care...

Re-examine my life? Cause I was disappointed Star Wars Prequels? LOL That's such an exaggeration... we are on a message board right now and your arguing to me about why I am wrong for being disappointed with Warp. Your arguing why an opinion is wrong, while also defending a company which clearly understands the music we here all love, but is now focusing on a new "tactic" (like you said) to make money. Instead of trying to find new inventive electronic artists they are going for this indie-folk crap because its the current flavor of the month.

And don't tell me their tastes have changed. If you look at Beckett's Warp20 (chosen) out of 14 tracks only 4 would fall under indie stuff (Grizzly Bear, Battles, Broadcast, and Jamie Lidell). And only 5 of the 14 are newer signings (same list but with Flying Lotus). So you got 9 out of 14 tracks being 90's/early 00's Warp signings.

So warp are signing bands/artist that aren't strictly electronic... wtf is the problem.

I like some of the guitar based stuff that warp release and I also really dislike some of it. There's also a tonne of the electronic artist signed to warp that I fucking hate... but so what?

Warp are a record label doing what a record label does.

Electronic was at its prime I think during the 90's and I personally enjoy a lot of 90's Warp releases. I understand that the label has to make money, but I don't think that's why people get into starting labels. There's probably a lot easier ways of making money .

Your defending a company (not the music), while all I am simply doing is stating an opinion. My opinion is that Nice Nice isn't good music (from what I have heard), and a majority of the more recent signings/output hasn't been too good.

As far as Pitchfork there is a number of reasons why I made that conclusion. For one I interned there and was in the same tiny office as their editor/owner Ryan Schreiber. Not saying I have conspiracy information or anything, but I simply know that Warp is in good contact with him and he is a fan of their label. Warp also seems obsessed with putting Pitchfork reviews of their releases on their website (over any other website)... So clearly their is mutual respect.

I follow labels only when I can trust their tastes. Kranky for example seems to be pretty consistent with me. Warp used to. Labels are a great way to find new music, and they also have an influence on the music that is made. When some unknown kid sees what all the labels are outputting, he/she is probably going to be more inclined to output something similar (if their intention is to get signed). So thats another reason I care...

Re-examine my life? Cause I was disappointed Star Wars Prequels? LOL That's such an exaggeration... we are on a message board right now and your arguing to me about why I am wrong for being disappointed with Warp. Your arguing why an opinion is wrong, while also defending a company which clearly understands the music we here all love, but is now focusing on a new "tactic" (like you said) to make money. Instead of trying to find new inventive electronic artists they are going for this indie-folk crap because its the current flavor of the month.

And don't tell me their tastes have changed. If you look at Beckett's Warp20 (chosen) out of 14 tracks only 4 would fall under indie stuff (Grizzly Bear, Battles, Broadcast, and Jamie Lidell). And only 5 of the 14 are newer signings (same list but with Flying Lotus). So you got 9 out of 14 tracks being 90's/early 00's Warp signings.

Wow, you really got me there. Congrats, I am completely angry with Warp now for doing whatever is you're saying they did wrong.

I was also never defending them, I was just amazed at the complete nerd rage everytime someone gets signed to warp. I couldn't really tell you who they have signed, or who they haven't signed, or what they're released really, it doesn't matter to me at all. I think music scenes are largely bollocks, and cliques and little groups are pretty faggy. I just listen to the music I like, and what pretty little record label symbol is printed on the disc passes me by.

Anyone that enjoys Star Wars needs to re-examine their life, at any level.

Electronic music was nowhere near in its' prime with the Warp artists, who are largely quite overrated, especially on this forum. But that's another matter, or that was... Before you convinced me that I should be incredibly angry because someone at Warp heard some music with guitars in it, and decided that it'd be cool to promote that kind of thing.

Fuck music if it isn't strictly electronic, there will be no room for that kind of thing if music is to progress, we need to keep things exactly how they were 10 years ago.

I'm not sure what your point is with the last commment, so of the stuff they picked, they had electronic music, and indie music... So... completely the same stuff they're releasing now? Ermm... do I get angry at that too?

Dan: while you're correct that getting angry with WARP for signing whatever acts they're signing is silly, you're incorrect in saying that WARP wasn't at the forefront of pushing electronic music in the mid-90s.

And what's wrong with Star Wars? The original 3 films were a lot of fun...

I just don't think the Warp artists did much more than people had done before them, they just brought it into a more public domain, I don't really have a problem with anyone on Warp, I still listen to some of that stuff, but it doesn't interest me like earlier work.

I sort of liked the movies as a kid, but they don't really do anything for me. I'm not hugely a movie person though...

I don't think there was a lot like Autechre/Squarepusher/Aphex in the mid 90s. I remember when Amber came out in 94... that was something else. Then Tri repetae in '95. Plus Analogue Bubblebath 4, SAW 2 and ICBYD from Aphex in those same two years. Squarepusher a little late to the game in 96 but man Feed Me Weird Things...come on there wasn't anything like that going on in 96 (and yes I know it was on Rephlex...) The intricacies of his edits...damn.

Wow, you really got me there. Congrats, I am completely angry with Warp now for doing whatever is you're saying they did wrong.

I was also never defending them, I was just amazed at the complete nerd rage everytime someone gets signed to warp. I couldn't really tell you who they have signed, or who they haven't signed, or what they're released really, it doesn't matter to me at all. I think music scenes are largely bollocks, and cliques and little groups are pretty faggy. I just listen to the music I like, and what pretty little record label symbol is printed on the disc passes me by.

Anyone that enjoys Star Wars needs to re-examine their life, at any level.

Electronic music was nowhere near in its' prime with the Warp artists, who are largely quite overrated, especially on this forum. But that's another matter, or that was... Before you convinced me that I should be incredibly angry because someone at Warp heard some music with guitars in it, and decided that it'd be cool to promote that kind of thing.

Fuck music if it isn't strictly electronic, there will be no room for that kind of thing if music is to progress, we need to keep things exactly how they were 10 years ago.

I'm not sure what your point is with the last commment, so of the stuff they picked, they had electronic music, and indie music... So... completely the same stuff they're releasing now? Ermm... do I get angry at that too?

I never said you needed to agree with me... I only was defending my stance.

You come off as extremely pretentious calling the big Warp artists largely overrated. Care to back that up with artists who are better?

Archived