IGNORED

Nice Nice

jeremymacgregor87

Warp is really losing a lot of respect from me.

You just don't get it.

What's to get? I don't like many of the newer Warp signings so my respect for Warp has dropped. I'd love to hear an explanation on what exactly else there is to this situation to "get."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You just don't get it.

What's to get? I don't like many of the newer Warp signings so my respect for Warp has dropped. I'd love to hear an explanation on what exactly else there is to this situation to "get."

If you don't get it, you don't get it. It's the exact same argument you used with the latest Clark album.

You just don't get it.

If you don't get it, you don't get it. It's the exact same argument you used with the latest Clark album.

So your original response was simply restating my opinion? Had I been in a discussion with someone else about the quality of this new music, then I can see some reason in pointing this out (that I don't get Warp's new music), but my post was simply my subjective viewpoint... when someone tells someone else out of the blue that they "don't get it," it implies there is some knowledge about the subject that I am missing, that could sway my opinion. But since that wasn't the case, all four of these past posts (including this one) have been a complete waste of time. So thank you for that.

so disliking Nice Nice is merely your "subjective viewpoint" on the matter

where as someone else disliking new clark "doesn't get it".

this implies that your "subjective viewpoint" on Clark is correct and that the Clark naysayers' "subjective viewpoint" is not.

this implies that your "subjective viewpoint" on Clark is correct and that the Clark naysayers' "subjective viewpoint" is not.

It's always a subject viewpoint the difference is context. If someone comes up to you and says they don't like your music... you would respond with "well I guess you just don't get it then..." or something a long the lines. Not getting something doesn't imply they are wrong it just implies its not for them. When Chen originally asked me, it led me to believe he was talking about something specifically I didn't get... had we already been discussing the quality of "Nice Nice" though, I wouldn't have been confused/bothered by his reply.

I find that I like the majority of the Warp roster these days, they should just ditch Jamie fucking Liddell.

I like this quite a bit from first listen. I'll settle for 160kbs freebies as well.

Their name is fucking retarded though.

It's always a subject viewpoint the difference is context. If someone comes up to you and says they don't like your music... you would respond with "well I guess you just don't get it then..." or something a long the lines. Not getting something doesn't imply they are wrong it just implies its not for them. When Chen originally asked me, it led me to believe he was talking about something specifically I didn't get... had we already been discussing the quality of "Nice Nice" though, I wouldn't have been confused/bothered by his reply.

If someone came upto me and said they didn't like my music, i would think that that was their opinion and that they were perfectly entitled to it. I would not think to repsond with "well I guess you just don't get it then..."

i'm still confused. was your opinion of these nice nice tracks (and thus your opinion of Warp) formed because a) you don't like it, b) because you don't get it or c) because it just isn't very good?

Would it be possible for me to "get" clark and still dislike it, or even like it but not "get it"?

Not getting something doesn't imply they are wrong it just implies its not for them.

Could you not say exactly the same thing about "not liking something"?

If someone came upto me and said they didn't like my music, i would think that that was their opinion and that they were perfectly entitled to it. I would not think to repsond with "well I guess you just don't get it then..."

i'm still confused. was your opinion of these nice nice tracks (and thus your opinion of Warp) formed because a) you don't like it, b) because you don't get it or c) because it just isn't very good?

Would it be possible for me to "get" clark and still dislike it, or even like it but not "get it"?

Not getting something doesn't imply they are wrong it just implies its not for them.

Could you not say exactly the same thing about "not liking something"?

It all comes down to how you say something and unfortunately on a message board its difficult to get the right tone across. When I said ones response if someone approached you could be "well I guess you just don't get it..." I didn't mean for that to come across as you claiming higher intelligence or better tastes... its simply a reaction to someone putting down your work. It's basically restating their point of view but in a manner that reminds them that it is a "point of view" and as the listener is entitled to that opinion so is the artist. It's kind of like saying "Well you don't like it, but I do, so what's entirely the point of this discussion and why did you just randomly approach me?"

That's the context. If Chen and I were discussing "Nice Nice" and he ended the conversation with "you just don't get it." I wouldn't find that strange cause his tone is obvious. But in this situation, it felt like he was implying something more about why Warp has signed "Nice Nice." Something I didn't actually understand. If you notice I never actually dissed "Nice Nice" I simply stated my disapproval for a label. My reasons for this disapproval go well beyond subjective differences in music, they as a business/corporation have really been quite lame lately (especially bleep.com).

why give money to a lame and fake copy of touch and go records, when the real touch and go records is stopping putting out new records because nobody's giving them money?

why give money to a lame and fake copy of touch and go records, when the real touch and go records is stopping putting out new records because nobody's giving them money?

maybe in 10 years warp will go the same way as touch and go (which incidentally turned shit when they fucked with the Buttholes years ago (actually touch and go stopped being that relevant long before that (as did the buttholes))). at least drag city is still going though so yeah if, when you buy a record you buy it cause you want to help a label rather than an artist, then support Drag City (or Rephlex of course). Though if I were to buy a record by Nice Nice, i would do so because i like the band and not because i like the label. In essence the purpose of a label (apart from selling records) is to act as kind of quality control filter, grouping together artists with a similar style or ethos or something and to set their bar at a certain height within whatever field of music though this function became redundant in a world where anybody can hear anybodies music at the click of a mouse. I say "became" redundant because as a result of this broadband world every cunt and his gran can be a "recording artist" and put their music "out there" which just means that now there is more shitty music in the world than ever before (and bare in mind that 99% of music (and everything else) has always been shitty). but in the past, all that shitty music stayed in its bedroom. SO... actually, now more than ever, we need defining labels to filter out the shit. now more than ever we need touch and gos, homesteads, drag citys, rephlexes and warps. what we dont need is lazy A&R signing flash in the pan flavour of the month "cool" acts that churn out weak rip offs of authentic forgotten musics (cough cough WARP cough) and 1 hundred billion netlabels od shit [/end rant] (started drinking at lunchtime)

edit: also... noone is giving warp or anyon else money because evryone is pirating and sharing to the entire world as opposed to taping a record for a few mates... hence labels churning out stuff like WARP20 fro a hundred quid and repackaged, remastered and deluxe editions for exortionate amounts of money.

You just don't get it.

So your original response was simply restating my opinion? Had I been in a discussion with someone else about the quality of this new music, then I can see some reason in pointing this out (that I don't get Warp's new music), but my post was simply my subjective viewpoint... when someone tells someone else out of the blue that they "don't get it," it implies there is some knowledge about the subject that I am missing, that could sway my opinion. But since that wasn't the case, all four of these past posts (including this one) have been a complete waste of time. So thank you for that.

You still don't get it.

You still don't get it.

Swine, you just made me spit out scotch egg onto my keyboard, haha

As for that nice nice record, well, it's not really making my ears stand up. not offensively bad though.

I'm not one to diss Warp myself. I agree that pigswill like Maximo Park sullies a great label's reputation, but the way I see it, Maximo Park's mega-revenues are one of the few factors that stop Warp, and by extension all electronic musicdom, from becoming a cottage industry, and thus being an insignificant pimple on the arse of popular culture. Or maybe that would be a good thing. I can't really figure it out. Someone persuade me otherwise..

Guest cult fiction

I started to listening to 'Ark Drum'. I had to take off my headphones to talk to someone for 2 and a half minutes. When I put them back on, the song still sounded exactly the same. Fail.

I'm agreeing with most of you here.. One Hit is painfully bad.

Ark Drum is just fine, not really much depth to go on though, it's just ok. I don't really see how the two tracks came from the same band, then again i don't understand most of these new post-rockish hipster acts.

I'm essentially repeating what everyone said: "Ark Drum" is enjoyable, nothing amazing. And I think they spent more time and effort in coming up with their band name than writing and recording "One Hit."

Archived