IGNORED

your top five movies

Guest zaphod

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this list changes slightly every so often, but more or less remains something like this: (i may have posted in this thread already)

Aliens (1986)

The Thing (1982)

Mad Max (1979)

Star Wars (1977)

Tron (1982)

also, every movie made in 1982, (the year i was born) that i've seen, is fantastic.

edit: ^^^ god, i just recently saw Spotless Mind for the second time, i forgot how fucking amazing that one is. that might be in my top 5 now.

Blade Runner

Murmur of the Heart

Enter the Void

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

There Will be Blood

Its really hard to choose by the way. There are too many good movies.

Possibly not in exact order:

Bird - An amazing portrayal of Charlie Parker by Whitaker. The director being Clint, how could this not be a damn corker. Watched it too many times.

Flight of the Navigator - Another one I've watched countless times. It was my favourite when I was young and is still very watchable for me.

Fear and Loathing - I've heard a few people say that Depp can only play one character. I think he plays Hunter brilliantly. As good for its absurdity as its comedic value. Hot damn, I've never rode in a convertable before.

Green Mile - An all round excellent film.

Stalker (Tarkovsky) - Wasn't sure what made me first watch this but I was captivated after the first half hour and still enjoy the mind-bending elements throughout.

predator...never fails to keep me entertained

bladerunner...mindblowingly beautiful

an american werewolf in london... funny as fuck

pulp fiction...came out of the cinema,went straight back in to see again

goodfellas...know this movie off by heart

man...that was tricky!

12 angry men

le process/the trial (> citizen kane, btw, aw yah)

vanishing point

pulp fiction

julien donkey boy

i guess. it varies. der siebente kontinent, trainspotting, fargo and big lebowski circle around the list as well.

i watch freak stuff constantly but when it comes o favs it's always the obvious, normal movies. i suck at being a cinema snob.

Guest Gary C

Uh. Primer, 12 Angry Men and Ed Wood. So many good films.

This thread is very heartening actually.

Guest Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald

Not in any order...

Woyzeck: I'm a big Werner Herzog fanboy so it was extremely difficult to choose which one of his films stood out, but eventually chose this as I remember the first time watching it that Herzog's ability to blur between documentary and fiction truly became apparent. Kinski's constant degredation into madness has to be one of the most powerful things I've ever seen, at times it's near impossible to tell whether you're actually watching him play Woyzeck or if he actually has become Woyzeck. Plus that final sequence with Eva Mattes.

Waking Life: I've always been interested whenever dreams come up as a theme in popular media. Unfortunately, most of the time the final result isn't very good. Waking Life though was something that I really enjoyed, mainly because it didn't use dreams as a plot device to excuse a plot which is incoherent and rushed, but rather as a device to allow Linklater to discuss any subject matter without needing a plot to justify it. It also helps that Linklater actually has good dialogue between characters within his films (Before Sunrise and A Scanner Darkly being good examples) so the theme actually suited his style. His insistence on having Alex Jones pop up in his films doesn't do him any favours though.

The Devil and Daniel Johnston: My judgement on this may be clouded as I've recently fell in love with this guy's music and the obsessive limerence with his muse Laurie strongly resonates with me, but I'd definitely say if there's a music documentary to watch, it's this one. The amount of which Daniel has documented his own life is amazing, it's almost baffling how willing he is to share and broadcast his most intimate moments with the world. Plus it also deals with his manic depression in a sensitive way, actually looking into how it's affected him and the people around him how desperately tried to help him rather than painting him as some deranged artist whose illness is the reason some regard his art and music as genius.

Bladerunner: Bandwagon jumping.

The Room: I absolutely love shitty B-Movies and this is quite possibly the pinnacle of shit. Plus out of all the films I've seen, I've most probably spoken and engaged with more people about this film more than any other. Going to a screening of this was one of the best experiences I had, if you ever get the chance just go, even like me you knew the film off by heart beforehand, especially if Tommy Wiseau is attending. The bloke's an absolute nutter though, when I met him at a screening in London he decided to constantly slap and rub my left nipple and tell me how good of a breathing technique I had. He liked my VHS Head shirt though, so I guess I can't hate on him too much.

Guest Xenblake

ok, goes something like this:

mulholland drive

apocalypse now

pulp fiction

tetsuo the iron man

alien

Archived