IGNORED

your top five movies

Guest zaphod

Guest Roksen Creek

2001: A Space Odyssey

Not for the story, but for the visuals, music, pacing and atmosphere (not in a literal sense obviously). Poetry in motion.

Dersu Uzala

Kurosawa's most beautiful and engrossing film, and sadly his most overlooked. Watch it people!

Grave of the Fireflies

The most powerful (and depressing) film I have ever seen. I wouldn't say it's one of my favourite films, but definitely the most moving.

Tokyo Story

I guess this would be boring to most people, but to me it's the closest a film has ever reached to literature in regards to depth and subtlety of its characters and their relationships.

The Godfather, Part II

I seriously can't find a single fault with this film. Perfection. Every scene, every word.

Other films that just missed out: Don't Look Now, Stalker, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, My Neighbours the Yamadas, Only Yesterday, Whisper of the Heart, Vertigo, Barry Lyndon, Lawrence of Arabia, Blade Runner, Alien

• 5 years later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bump II

Taxi Driver - Isolation, alienation and mental illness are recurring themes in almost all of my favorite flicks, and this combines them with a period of New York history my parents and grandparents had countless stories about.

Rosemary's Baby - So many of my favorite horror flicks play with ideas about (real or suspected) female mental illness and the supernatural, and I put this ahead them all.  

Late Spring - I know Tokyo Story is meant to be peak Ozu, but I just find this to be a mesmerizing flick from beginning to end. Setsuko Hara's performance in this comes in for some criticism, I guess. But I think she's brilliant in it. 

Mulholland Drive - Combines so many of my pet themes and all of my favorite things about Lynch. Hard to explain the exact appeal beyond that, but it draws me back more than just about anything I own.

Double Indemnity (1944) - I had a years-long obsession with Noir because of this flick (and The Big Sleep). Really upended my taste in film around age 16 or so.

Runners up -

Fire Walk With Me

Boogie Nights

Alien

Throne of Blood

Chinatown

Repulsion

Eyes Without a Face

Peeping Tom

1- Terminator 2: Best effort in action movies, the perfect rythm, I enjoy watching this Cameron shit everytime

2- Jurassic Park: Best visual effects til today, best cast, epic BSO, Dennis Nedry stealing dinosaurs embryos using an ultratechnological small container disguised as a  fake shaving cream can, while a masterpiece tune is playing

3- The Fifth element: Mila Jovovich fighting scene, Mila Jovivich watching pics of WW2 and the Tzar bomb then crying, Mila emanating light after love connection. Love mysticism

4- LOTR-TFOTR: best one from the Trilogy, very realistic and inmersive. A warm film

5- Matrix: Philosophic and memorable.

6- Double Dragon: Best memories seeing this epic movie as a child in a open air cinema

at the moment...

big lebowski (always)

eternal sunshine (always)

mother

american movie

punch drunk love

Respect for MOTHER.  It's Bong's best and a lovely, intense film.

I want to contribute to this forum.  5 is going to be next to impossible but I'll get back to y'all tomorrow.  Hold your breath.

I don't watch many movies, so it's no headache to compile a list and has remained virtually unchanged for aeons

1) Apocalypse Now - Never heard The End before either (and that's a desert island disc for me) so the double whammy was KO. Still gets better each time I watch it (maybe once every 3 or 4 years). Not a fan of the Redux version apart from the bit when Kurtz reads the Time magazine article to Willard.

2) 2001: A Space Odyssey 

3) The Wicker Man

4) Alien

5) The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Obviously not that much into modern films lol, my most watched films would be Pointbreak or The Thing, very cool films with great replay value.

I don't have favorites, but as far as rewatchability goes I would say:

A Clockwork Orange

Dead Man

Rosemary's Baby

Taxi Driver

Wicker Man

Honorable mentions: 

Andromeda Strain

Blood on Satan's Claw

A Field in England

Mulholland Drive

Oldboy

The Thing

Possession

and pretty much all Kubrick, Coen's, Lynch, Kurosawa, Godard, Carpenter... these lists are hard but fun

1. Bullet Ballet

Closest approximation I've seen of Daido Moriyama's photography in a film. It has an energy and tone like no other.

2. City of Life and Death

Profoundly moving

3. Tetsuo 2: Body Hammer

Eraserhead meets Red Dwarf, i recommend this to anyone with eyes, very underrated given it's slightly redundant status with it being a sequel. It's a a real trip.

4. Memories of Murder

The construction of it, the twists and turns, it's perfect.

5. Himizu

For most of this i wasn't that engaged, then it clicked and i realised I cared more about the characters than I thought, whereby the last 10 minutes wrecked me. The male actor is incredible in it, it captures hopelessness and depression so well that it makes up for its shoddiness in other areas. Basically i respond to existentialism, anger, nihilism.

Wish i could really explain what these films did but it has been years and I'm struggling to put it into words.

Can't think of anything that will move any of these really. Unless Gareth Evans makes his masterpiece.

at the moment...

big lebowski (always)

mother

american movie

punch drunk love

Respect for MOTHER.  It's Bong's best and a lovely, intense film.

I want to contribute to this forum.  5 is going to be next to impossible but I'll get back to y'all tomorrow.  Hold your breath.

breath held. yeah i've plans to watch mother for the third time this week with my buddy. he has only seen it once and was so drunk he doesn't remember hardly any of it. when i watched it a second time i had mostly forgotten it too but i think most of the big emotional beats stuck with me this time (i really wish i could forget them and watch it like new again)

the flashback with the bacchus drink is just like... whoa

too bad he started churning out shit scripts with american casts =\

you guys missed the part where you don't just list the movies but also explain why you listed them, otherwise this thread has been done once a week for the past 3000 years.

you guys missed the part where you don't just list the movies but also explain why you listed them, otherwise this thread has been done once a week for the past 3000 years.

FINE

at the moment...

big lebowski (always): perfect from start to finish. direction, writing, acting, everything. all killer no filer

eternal sunshine (always): beautiful and creative. speaks to my introverted romantic asshole side

mother: emotive thriller. very unique (to me).

american movie: a great story about people doing what i wish i had the balls to do

punch drunk love: beautiful and creative. speaks to my introverted romantic asshole side (i haven't seen this in probably over 10 years)

These are the films that have made the biggest impact on me in order of my life

Pulp Fiction

-I saw this on vhs at a friends house in town, spring 1995. I was raised mormon, not religious now, and this film really just knocked me over :) I had never seen a film like it and now there was nobody around to stop me from playing it, Ha! The quiet part where Butch goes back to get his watch and the camera just follows him walking through LA looking over his shoulder had a major impact on sound and stillness for me. Tension :) Pulp Fiction got me to start thinking jumbled up. The stories, the script, the acting, directing. Awesome film. Great first rated R movie to watch, Ha!

This could be the movie where most of the actors give their best lifetime acting performances. Says a lot about Quentin Tarantino.

Jackie Brown

-Saw this end of December 1997. First movie I saw where the Woman Kicks Ass. Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson and Robert Forster. Again the director, acting, script and story is so good. The Los Angeles of the 90's in both films look so awesome :)

2001: A Space Odyssey

-I first read the book at the end of January 2001 :) It grabbed hold of me. I don't read much fiction but this book is incredible. This is probably my favorite overall film and the book might be as well. The music, the silence. 88 minutes of the film has no dialogue!!! Best Kubrick film. I just wish Hal 9000 still said "Good Morning, Dave"

The Matrix

-What if I told You      The Matrix it is :)

My Dinner with Andre

-Suggested by a clip that was posted in August 2015 by useruser18081971 on soundcloud.  Saw this a couple of months ago. The conversation between two people at dinner. Amazing :)

They Live!

-John Carpenter. Watch for the fight scene alone, over Five minutes long, Ha! Great story that still rings true to what's happening today. I remember seeing the vhs copy on the rental shelves for years. Nada's sunglasses reflecting an ????? :) Just looking at the horror section on my way through to the PG/G movie section of the grocery store. Sometimes PG-13 if I could get away with it. "What? We've already rented it might as well watch it we can always fast forward!"  But definitely no rated R. So I finally saw this at the end of May 2017. Go Nada, GO!!!

Sorry that was six films. I'm glad I saw each film at that specific point in my life. I'm going to watch them again in that order. I have not seen the first three films in years! This will be Fun :)

420px-Sfmvposter2.jpg

I used to rate Oldboy as my all time favourite film, but this kind of overtook it. It's the most bleak film I've ever seen, utterly depressing in every way. I love the long shots and lack of music, it creates this empty atmosphere that was almost suffocating in its nothingness.

Interesting picks, Save The Green Planet blew me away as well, especially because the poster makes it look so jolly. It's fucking nuts, the passion the actors display, the shifts in tone, the places it goes.

I didn't know what film that was in the poster above at first, but in terms of bleakness, have you seen No Mercy (2010)? I didn't really like it for half of it, but recommend it as something to endure, i couldn't really believe it.

This thread was a great read. Can it be extended to top ten so there's more ?  lol..

Classics repeat watch:

1 Ghostbusters

2 Robocop

3 The Matrix

4 Star Wars

5 Trainspotting

Favorite one time screening:

1 Rust And Bone

2 Mad Max Fury Road

3 Kikis Delivery Service

4 Mind Game (2004)

5 The Descent

at the moment...

big lebowski (always)

mother

american movie

punch drunk love

Respect for MOTHER. It's Bong's best and a lovely, intense film.

I want to contribute to this forum. 5 is going to be next to impossible but I'll get back to y'all tomorrow. Hold your breath.

Still holding my breath omg I'm gonna die

at the moment...

big lebowski (always)

mother

american movie

punch drunk love

I want to contribute to this forum. 5 is going to be next to impossible but I'll get back to y'all tomorrow. Hold your breath.

Completely fucking forgot. Appy polly loggies oh my brothers.

No order:

La Strada - the pinnacle of an emotional, character driven story. I am Zampano, Gelsomina, and the Fool.

Blue Velvet - first Lynch, game changer. Hopper one of the greatest villains ever.

Irreversible - this film is alive and still gets me philosophically. I was obsessing over Seul Contre Tous for years then got to go to the US premiere of this. Noe filming the audience flocking out of his movie mid-screening was a revolution for me.

Taxi Driver - look at the opening shots of this. The taxi driving through smoke coming up out of sewer grates while the Bernard Hermann score swells. That's some sexy filmmaking from the opening frames.

A Clockwork Orange - sprawling, classical sci-fi and so perfect in all departments. Watched a thousand times. My first car had ACO stickers on it and I crashed that shit hard.

Part of me wanted to take this more Hollywood and genre. The other part wanted to take it completely weird (props to whoever above included Possession). But this, for better or worse or cliche, is me.

Solid picks. I saw Irreversible in a small arthouse theater that doesn't exist anymore. Only one other person in attendance, an old lady with blue hair. It was one of the most intense experiences I've ever had. That music during the first 20 minutes combined with the visceral violence and camera work just completely floored me. I kept looking behind me to make sure the blue haired lady wasn't standing behind my back wielding a knife. Became a Gaspar Noe fan for life after that. 

Space Odyssey and The Shining are Godlike, Clockwork Orange I could never get into. I know I've attempted to watch it a few times and everytime had to switch it off and felt the need to go out for a lot of fresh air and go for a walk, cleanse myself so-to-speak. I guess that's Kubrick at work weaving one of his spells, just this one leaves me uncomfortably cold. Which I guess is what he was aiming for.

at the moment...

big lebowski (always)

mother

american movie

punch drunk love

Completely fucking forgot. Appy polly loggies oh my brothers.

No order:

La Strada - the pinnacle of an emotional, character driven story. I am Zampano, Gelsomina, and the Fool.

Blue Velvet - first Lynch, game changer. Hopper one of the greatest villains ever.

Irreversible - this film is alive and still gets me philosophically. I was obsessing over Seul Contre Tous for years then got to go to the US premiere of this. Noe filming the audience flocking out of his movie mid-screening was a revolution for me.

Taxi Driver - look at the opening shots of this. The taxi driving through smoke coming up out of sewer grates while the Bernard Hermann score swells. That's some sexy filmmaking from the opening frames.

A Clockwork Orange - sprawling, classical sci-fi and so perfect in all departments. Watched a thousand times. My first car had ACO stickers on it and I crashed that shit hard.

Part of me wanted to take this more Hollywood and genre. The other part wanted to take it completely weird (props to whoever above included Possession). But this, for better or worse or cliche, is me.

Completely agree on Taxi Driver and Blue Velvet.

Also who mentioned Apocalypse Now? Shit, I'm about due for a rewatch. 

Solid picks. I saw Irreversible in a small arthouse theater that doesn't exist anymore. Only one other person in attendance, an old lady with blue hair. It was one of the most intense experiences I've ever had. That music during the first 20 minutes combined with the visceral violence and camera work just completely floored me. I kept looking behind me to make sure the blue haired lady wasn't standing behind my back wielding a knife. Became a Gaspar Noe fan for life after that. 

OK I tried to watch Irreversible and I don't usually do this but I had to bail after the scene with the fire extinguisher or whatever that was. Like, I knew it would ruin my day. I wonder if seeing it at an art house theatre would've made me pay attention. Probably. 

I had the opposite reaction. Well, mostly...it did mess me up a little bit. But later I found myself more fascinated with how they actually did it, which prompted rewatches and searching around the internet for behind the scenes stuff. I think the movie is brilliant, there just happens to be two scenes of some of the most brutal violence ever depicted on film. The movie actually gets more beautiful and poignant as it goes on, you just have to make it past the first half. 

Archived