IGNORED

new 3d form of mandelbrot discovered

kaini

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lighting in the first few images of Tglad's first post actually makes those seem like physical objects.

yeah its like taking a glimpse at something humans don't have the authority to view

I thought the same thing.

yeah - people have been noting personal experience of a definite sense of unheimlich (and using the wiki redir here very intentionally) since page one. maybe it's because it's a very direct and visual representation of a sense of the infinite, or maybe something else (islamic art and architecture keeps getting mentioned, for one...)

hmm i find most of these renders to look really cheesy… imagine looking at these 5 years from now. the original ones on page one with decent lighting are by far the best.

btw:

The human mind is only capable of absorbing a few things at a time. We see what is taking place in

front of us in the here and now, and cannot envisage simultaneously a succession of processes, no matter how integrated and complementary. Our faculties of perception are consequently limited even as regards fairly simple phenomena. The fate of a single man can be rich with significance, that of a few hundred less so, but the history of thousands and millions of men does not mean anything at all, in any adequate sense of the word. The symmetriad is a million - a billion, rather - raised to the power of _N_: it is incomprehensible. We pass through vast halls, each with a capacity of ten Kronecker units, and creep like so many ants clinging to the folds of breathing vaults and craning to watch the flight of soaring girders, opalescent in the glare of searchlights, and elastic domes which criss-cross and balance each other unerringly, the perfection of a moment, since everything here passes and fades, The essence of this architecture is movement synchronized towards a precise objective. We observe a fraction of the process, like hearing the vibration of a single string in an orchestra of supergiants. We know, but cannot grasp, that above and below, beyond the limits of perception or imagination, thousands and millions of simultaneous transformations are at work, interlinked like a musical score by mathematical counterpoint. It has been described as a symphony in geometry, but we lack the ears to hear it.

Stanislaw Lem, Solaris, 1961

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lube Saibot

yeeeah finally got me some mandelbox rendering software

this shit is wild

Kaini for reals that orange one is fucking mindblowing.

mandelbrot is german for "almond bread" and is an ethnically jewish desserty snack thing similar to biscotti.

Any mandelbox/mandelbulb software that's MacOS X compatible out there?

:huh:

that shit is my mind go nggggggggggggggggggggguhh.

I remember looking at 2d fractals using my friends autocad software back in like 93 whilst on acid and being all fucked up about it. If I had gone through that video on a nice dose of LSD-25 I wouldn't be coming back.

Archived