IGNORED

new 3d form of mandelbrot discovered

kaini

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall reading that Mandelbrot wasn't even the first to discover 2-d fractal patterns, he just took the credit for it because apparently he was a self-aggrandizing cunt.

the answer to that is not simple.

people as far back as the greeks were aware of structures that were self-similar (exactly self-similar, like the sierpinski gasket and the apollonian curve)... and mathematicians were aware of them as a result for centuries. there is a method to derive the actual, space-filling - or hausdorff - dimension of a 2-d curve. in other words a simple 1-d graph can occupy a "1.5d" space if it's dense enough, a 2-d space can be "spongy" and therefore actually sorta "2.5d" space... things like these paradoxical mathematical creatures were called 'monsters' up until the german mathematicians hilbert and cantor formalised it. hilbert is great, google hilbert's hotel.

mandelbrot was one of the first to recognize this behaviour in nature though: http://www.werecactus.com/flash/clarksfallingcat/

coastlines are self-similar in a general sense, so is the stock market, and rainfall, and a dripping tap tuned just right

so self-similarity has been a thing for a while, but mandelbrot is sorta the einstein of fractals

as in he modified existing theory to incorporate things like the mandelbrot set - a classic example of a non-identical (or non-linear) self-similarity

my inner carl sagan marvels at the fact that this thing has always existed - it makes maths feel like archaeology

so some of these also make me feel uneasy and creeped out, what's the reason for that? i cannot explain it. they are absolutely beautiful to look at it, but are scary :unsure:

something salvia-ish about it

Guest hahathhat

My soundToCoulouredShapes synaesthesia also leaks through my visual snow, and i'm actually able to (slightly) see sounds into the TV snow. I've been told that the mechanisms underlying such phenomenons (i mean seeing things among chaos) is comparable to the fact of seeing figures into clouds. I strongly recommend you to try watching the TV snow for a while and just relax. Then do it again when you're on some hallucinogens (psychedelics works better). You'll see things more easily. For both ways, the brain just find paths through the succession of purely chaotic pictures, but the use of drugs tend to make this process easier. I think this fact is directly related to the fact people on acid tend to have a more analogy-based, paranoid and metaphoric speech because drugs soften the rules underlying associations of ideas. Same goes with the tv snow.

staring at TV static, i will sometimes get this optical illusion -- like when you're going on an elevator and you can see out the windows, it feels like you're staying still while the world is moving. it's kind of nauseating, actually. i'm guessing my brain is looking for a foothold in all that noise, and sometimes it decides that some blips of static mean motion is going some particular direction --> a "blob" of static will take off in some direction and make me feel seasick.

your sense of motion, your sense of where your body is -- is this ever effected by music?

one day I need to read something that will explain what these are

http://books.google.ie/books?id=oh7NoePgmOIC&dq=fractals+everywhere&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=PgPiIPVBf4&sig=Y7YNnkT8PgNYA7dcAqc8p5UxXoY&hl=en&ei=OIEES6bwOJq6jAfe-KizAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CAwQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=&f=false

excellent introduction for a casually interested person. there is maths involved, but it eases you in

and holy fuck they have the whole book

http://books.google.ie/books?id=J8iDtFl6j_AC&dq=pickover+fractal&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=_h5rafAHxJ&sig=mR_fShU-EOTIekWY4O1GRVoHEAU&hl=en&ei=l4EES-2DF5q6jAfe-KizAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CCcQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=pickover%20fractal&f=false

nice picture book, pickover is a god when it comes to fractals

http://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Geometry-Nature-Benoit-Mandelbrot/dp/0716711869

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beauty_of_Fractals

the seminal texts. heavy math

also, just download this

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fraqtive/

and have a play around with it. srsly

i made this recently (not with fraqtive)

dude . . . totally awesome (both the video and links). Always nice when someone here drops some serious knowledge, will have to check this out when I have some headspace.

Also, awesome topic - fractals are so friggin' OG IDM

yeah, also, those images are disturbing. a 3D forum of masturbation has been discovered, the watmmbrot.

but why are they disturbing? definitely the first time i've felt such a thing just from shapes and lighting. interesting as hell.

Guest hahathhat

yeah, also, those images are disturbing. a 3D forum of masturbation has been discovered, the watmmbrot.

but why are they disturbing? definitely the first time i've felt such a thing just from shapes and lighting. interesting as hell.

seemingly organic. remind me of parasites. feel like if they touched my skin they'd hook in and start growing deeper inside of me halp :wtf:

seriously there must be some original seed to the 'obscene architecture/eldritch geometry' that features in so many cosmic horror stories. lovecraft went on about the fivefold symmetry of the old ones almost to the point of obsession, and got into some real detail on the subject of eldritch geometry in 'the dreams in the witch-house' in particular. full of triangles whose inner dimensions add up to more than 180 degrees and multifaceted polyhedra.

i look at that first image and all i think is 'this is where cthulhu lives',

image four? that's his motherfucking ashtray, where he tips the ash from blunts made of souls and eleven-dimensional mucus.

and i have no idea why i know this.

Archived