IGNORED

a sign of.. the capitalistic apocalypse

Guest mafted

I don't know, when I was younger, I used to feel that way e.g. "oh a fucking Burger King in the Louvre, are you fucking serial?!" As I get older, the biggest lesson I've learned is that nothing's sacred and what's more, people want these kinds of things. It used to be "oh, it's evil empire America" but the Japanese are running McDonald's and Wal-Marts in unreal ways; to the point that it's now a Japanese accomplishment. For better or worse, the world is a huge orgy now and trying to distinguish the pussy you just drilled from the ass you just rimmed is impossible and doesn't really matter.

Okay, that was my smarty-pants post. What lies below is a baaaaw unorganized scribble of why the Pizza Hut in Cairo no longer bothers me.

In my heart, issues of factory farming, land stewardship, human rights, and the like really bother me. But humans are such a filthy fucking selfish lot that nothing they can touch will ever be more than shite and that's the reason this wheel has turned this way for as long as it has. You can't repair something when the tool is the thing that will block your repair. You solve a factory farming issue with the same human who put the system in place. He basically cuts corners and is not genuinely concerned with animal welfare and then you just make some regulatory agency happy and everybody gets in a daisy chain. Ask Ocean Spray--prior to 1975, they sold real 100% cranberry juice. A food chemist pointed out that you can use just 5% of juice and cut it with cheap ass corn syrup and BOOM! cranberry cocktail. Have you tried to look for actual real-deal cran juice? I mean, no cran-grape, cran-apple, cranberry cocktail, contains 10,5,0% fruit juice, etc. Where I live, it was a serious effort. But I found some organic straight up cran and it was fucking $4.50 for a pint. I drank it--I didn't even recognize it at first as cranberry juice, then it became quite a treat. But, $5 for a pint of juice? I dunno, there is no revolution, our hippy dippy parents had it all wrong, and anymore, I feel like I just stretch out into a cog position to get in the 40,000 year old wheel of unimaginable avarice.

this is why I am selfishly very happy that Cuba and North Korea still exist in their current form. I'm sure those bastards want their starbucks but I love knowing there's some place out there that hasn't been homogenized yet. I went to Cuba and it was rotting and the people were poor and the girls were hot and it was fucking awesome.

Yeah, but corporate chains =/= homogenized world. Mc. Donalds in China is not the same as a McDonalds in New York.

With very limited menu exceptions, McDonald's in Tokyo is the same as McDonald's in Seoul is the same as McDonald's in Shanghai is the same as McDonald's in LA.

Bureaucracy and efficiency lead to homogenization, and those are two things that McDonald's excels at.

Yeah, but corporate chains =/= homogenized world. Mc. Donalds in China is not the same as a McDonalds in New York.

Shirley you must be joking. The differences between a McDonalds in Shanghai and a McDonalds in San Francisco don't exactly electrify me.

edit: Chen beat me to it. I'm really glad I can bequeath to my as yet unformed children a world in which if they fly 6000 miles they may be able to order a cucumber on top of their meat patty.

mcdonalds is practically a us embassy in japan. it's the exact same, you've probably never been overseas if you think there's more than minor cosmetic differences.

also the pyramids are next to a lot of things, including a city filled with nightclubs. who gives a shit if there's a pizza hut there, just makes for humorous little videos like this. i don't see anyone complaining about rome or athens not being preserved.

You can still smoke in McDonald's in Japan though, or at least you could when I was there last year....makes those McDonald's hangover meals all that much better.

Guest Glass Plate

Uh, there are a lot of articles about how McDonalds is used in totally different in ways other cultures than it is in america. In japan, they are multiple stories, and used as social gatherings/places to do homework etc, and usually not used for full meals, but instead a hamburger might be cut into peices and split between friends as a snack. Even the items that are the same, are used differently by different cultures, thus McDonalds fails to cause a homogeneous world culture.I'm not saying McDonalds isn't bad, I'm just saying it fails to homogenize things as much as people say it does.

Archived