IGNORED

Evolution of the Hipster, 2000-Present

joshuatxuk

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot of what makes someone a hipster is that they consciously choose to dress like a fucking needle-dick, or look "twee" so that they can't be criticized for trying and failing. Irony is their shield against actually being criticized.

It's sort of a a reaction formation against alpha males, like "I don't have to look macho to be a man, so I'm going to look like a pussy, and yeah, I know I do, it's ironic." But at the end of the day, they're just playing dress up and lead shallow lives.

You don't think the way people choose to dress reflects their personality and values? :wacko:

not really, no. i've met really sweet, awesome people that dress in all black, have piercings and tattoos, etc. and i've met plenty of douchebags that wear "cargo shorts and polo shirts" to quote someone's interpretation of normalcy.

i mean, to a certain extent, you can make guesses about a person based upon what they wear. ok, he's wearing a "my chemical romance" shirt, you can assume he likes them. she's wearing neon leggings and a leotard, you can assume she shops at american apparel. but to say that someone is apathetic, soulless, killing humanity, etc based on what they wear... that's just stupid.

personally, i really like the whole hipster style. i think it looks good. i guess i'm contributing to the downfall of society.

It's sort of a a reaction formation against alpha males, like "I don't have to look macho to be a man, so I'm going to look like a pussy, and yeah, I know I do, it's ironic." But at the end of the day, they're just playing dress up and lead shallow lives.

it sounds like you're insecure about your masculinity. you know, in shakespearean times, tights and codpieces were thought to be masculine. what makes your interpretation of masculinity any more valid?

also, fuck you. everyone plays dress up. everyone. most of the shit you choose to wear is based on your desire to have the approval of others based on what they find attractive. you think you're not catering to a certain group when you put on an afx shirt and cargo shorts? if you really wanted to look good, you'd wear a skirt, cause it makes your legs look FUCKING SLIM AND ATTRACTIVE, but you're too much of a bitch to do that, because people might laugh and point, so you stick to the safe stuff because you're so worried about what people on the street might think when they look at you. hipsters do it, your mom does it, you do it. humanity is shallow. deal with it.

I think a lot of what makes someone a hipster is that they consciously choose to dress like a fucking needle-dick, or look "twee" so that they can't be criticized for trying and failing. Irony is their shield against actually being criticized.

- Signed, an Alpha Male. Whoo whoo whoo! CHUG!!

The thing is, being a hipster is what constitutes being unique in the mainstream.

being unique on the internet means only being able to climax to disney characters poopfucking in a submarine

so obviously a hipster is going to be a total conformist on the internet

I don't know if I'm a hipster or not.

Of course you're a hipster. You (not so) secretly revel in it too.

But I know the difference between dub and dubstep, AND ska and ska-punk.

You don't think the way people choose to dress reflects their personality and values? :wacko:

not really, no. i've met really sweet, awesome people that dress in all black, have piercings and tattoos, etc. and i've met plenty of douchebags that wear "cargo shorts and polo shirts" to quote someone's interpretation of normalcy.

i mean, to a certain extent, you can make guesses about a person based upon what they wear. ok, he's wearing a "my chemical romance" shirt, you can assume he likes them. she's wearing neon leggings and a leotard, you can assume she shops at american apparel. but to say that someone is apathetic, soulless, killing humanity, etc based on what they wear... that's just stupid.

personally, i really like the whole hipster style. i think it looks good. i guess i'm contributing to the downfall of society.

For the vast majority of people, the clothing they wear is a choice and people's choices reflect who they are. For instance, if you see a twenty something year old dressed in ratty worn clothing but is sporting $300 designer shoes, you can draw many conclusions about their background and personality. Of course, fashion isn't even close to being a definitive means of sizing someone up, you have to keep in mind people are broadcasting who they think they are through their clothes. But I do agree that jumping to the conclusion that all people who dress a certain way are definitely apathetic goons is stupid. I think that most young people are apathetic but hipsters are more visible and therefore make for better scapegoats.

Guest narkeworld

It's funny how no one claims to be a hipster.

Most hipster bashing is done by other hipsters - hipster on hipster crime.

If you're on this board, it's probably not a question of whether you're a hipster or not, but to what degree you are a hipster.

hehe, true.

Guest Calx Sherbet

these are hilarious, yet i haven't heard of half of them. it's like hipsters don't happen here. wiggers are a big problem though

oh yay another tone deaf commentary on hipsters

there's no evolution going on there. the years are arbitrary, i see people dressed like every one of these all the time. i don't think they even qualify as "hipsters", it's just more trendy looking, or fitting within a certain style related to indie music or whatever scene that's been passed down and diluted a million times by designers and bands and kids wearing clothes they saw other kids wearing who saw a band dressed that way. at this point i don't even think it matters, it's such a common way to look. so everyone in a somewhat hip urban center is suddenly a hipster, which of course is a completely loaded term with a negative connotation. not to mention that anyone who is capable of sitting online, on a website devoted entirely to tracking trends in culture, is probably a hipster themselves.

Guest JW Modestburns

The thing is, being a hipster is what constitutes being unique in the mainstream.

being unique on the internet means only being able to climax to disney characters poopfucking in a submarine

so obviously a hipster is going to be a total conformist on the internet

obviously.

Guest bitroast

how was the first one at ALL an emo? i thought emos were just, lots of tight black clothing, maybe some green belt or pink something somewhere, with dyed black hair to the side. then the evolution of that was exactly the same but with lkie, blonde or brown hair.. to the side.

• 1 month later...

alright, had to update this thread because i fucking hate hipster trash POS scattered all over Baltimore its fucking disgusting.

they sit there during a dj show, doing nothing but drinking your beer and being loud about it like "fuck the man, yeah, we are gonna give it to him by drinking some poor fuck's Rolling Rock, that'll show him", not dancing to the music but instead criticizing the hell out of it with the two other friends convinced to hang out (probably offered them coke)

goddamn nothing is more devoid of life than a hipster. I would gladly watch them burn in never ending agony.

btw, part of the reason im like this is because I grew up wearing nerdy ass Bill-Cosby esque sweaters and dress shirts, enjoying them, getting in fights on a daily basis in my childhood because of it, finally become comfortable in my shoes as a man, and i get people walking by saying i need to "stop dressing like a hipster."

WHAT THE FUCK

seriously though, anyone here a hipster? kill yourself. this is not a joke. kill yourself.

well, there is nothing hip about rolling rock since Anheuser-Busch bought it and started brewing it in New Jersey. PBR remains the hipster beer of choice.

hipsters will scavenge if they have to.

trust me on this. ive seen too many hipsters in the past three years to tolerate anymore of it.

if i see a person at a party with a can of PBR, im smacking it out of his hand. guaranteed.

yeah but that's as bad as rednecks in the 60s attacking cutting hippies' hair off or something.

who gives a shit? i'm no huge fan of any of this stuff either but actively hating something is even lamer than the thing in the first place really. people have a right to be as lame to you as they want to be.

this is absolutely true.

which is why, if i am involved in anyway with a party, i am actively seeking out removing all hipster activities within the premises. guaranteed.

i give a shit. i give a shit because these people are nothing but yuppies under a new name and a shield of irony they can use in any given situation. they will die by my hands.

Archived