IGNORED

christians

data

im not sure this is really worthy of its own thread, im just bored and found this:

http://www.gotquestions.org/atheist-morality.html

http://www.gotquestions.org/evangelize-atheists.html

i've been sitting here pushing the "random page" button on that site for like an hour now, hilarious stuff (and kinda sad and scary aswell).

they's a funny bunch alright. :emotawesomepm9:

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

churchy christians disappoint me because they misrepresent

something that is so sacred and true using only their shallow

grasp of the outer, infantile aspects. what the language

(Biblical Language) in this lineage of ancient spiritual

teachings truly represents is far deeper then their

often materialistic, cozy and hypocritical

self-indulgent rhetoric will ever allow.

...and it fucks up the whole works.

the church is inside us....it is all around us.

the last will be first and the first will be last.

The whole basis of Christianity is based on emotional subjectivity. When I was a kid, I unfortunately had to tolerate a strong Christian upbringing and witnessed this every Sunday.

Guest glasse

here is something interesting to consider.

on any forum like this one might go on, there is always a thread like this with some degree of frequency. someone making fun of christians, or criticizing them. yet this happens with no other religion. never, ever, do you see a thread criticizing hindu beliefs, buddhism, or even judaism. you never even see a thread criticizing islam. in fact, even though radicals from this religion are the ones responsible for jihad including terror attacks on innocent civilians, the worst you see is criticism of radical arabs. in fact, whenever it does come up people are quick to be advocates for moderate peaceful muslims who mean no harm to anyone (moderate peaceful christians, which are most of them, are still generally made fun of and harshly criticized). Let's take a look at some verses from the Koran.

Slay them wherever ye find them and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. - 2:191

Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it. - 2:216

Make war on them until idolatry is no more and Allah's religion reigns supreme - 8:39

When the sacred months are over, slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them. - 9:5

O Prophet! Make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites. Be harsh with them. Their ultimate abode is hell, a hapless journey's end. - 9:73

Yet, never a thread. While God has shed blood, and not just in the Old Testament, two of the main messages of Christ for His disciples was to turn the other cheek, and that He came not to judge the world but to save it. He stayed with prostitutes and tax collectors and commanded his church to spread the message of His love to all people. Not to lay in ambush for them and slay them until his religion reigned supreme.

So why, pray tell, are people the most vocally harsh and mocking about this particular religion than they are about any other in the world?

Guest JW Modestburns

here is something interesting to consider.

on any forum like this one might go on, there is always a thread like this with some degree of frequency. someone making fun of christians, or criticizing them. yet this happens with no other religion. never, ever, do you see a thread criticizing hindu beliefs, buddhism, or even judaism. you never even see a thread criticizing islam. in fact, even though radicals from this religion are the ones responsible for jihad including terror attacks on innocent civilians, the worst you see is criticism of radical arabs. in fact, whenever it does come up people are quick to be advocates for moderate peaceful muslims who mean no harm to anyone (moderate peaceful christians, which are most of them, are still generally made fun of and harshly criticized). Let's take a look at some verses from the Koran.

Slay them wherever ye find them and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. - 2:191

Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it. - 2:216

Make war on them until idolatry is no more and Allah's religion reigns supreme - 8:39

When the sacred months are over, slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them. - 9:5

O Prophet! Make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites. Be harsh with them. Their ultimate abode is hell, a hapless journey's end. - 9:73

Yet, never a thread. While God has shed blood, and not just in the Old Testament, two of the main messages of Christ for His disciples was to turn the other cheek, and that He came not to judge the world but to save it. He stayed with prostitutes and tax collectors and commanded his church to spread the message of His love to all people. Not to lay in ambush for them and slay them until his religion reigned supreme.

So why, pray tell, are people the most vocally harsh and mocking about this particular religion than they are about any other in the world?

Christ man, was that a copy paste from the hannity forums?

Guest glasse

erm, no. i just wrote it as i thought about it. i brought up a page on the koran in another tab. i will admit to copying and pasting the verses, rather than retyping them. however i selected some to paste and not others. here is the entire page My link. i found it in about 3 seconds by typing koran infidel into a google search.

edit: now i will be typing hannity forums into the same google tabs to see what that is.

who are you to judge christians?

did you ever think that it might be because christianity is the major religion of the west? im well aware that most (all) other religions of the world is just as batshit crazy fucked up as "ours", but christianity is closer to home, it's what most people can relate to, so it's easier to criticize, just like you probably don't know jack about politics and politicians in, oh i don't know, zimbabwe? you discuss/admire/dislike american polticians because that's what you know and are affected by.

and no, i don't mean you personally, what do i know about how much you know about the world, im speaking generally.

also, christianity is a simple religion in comparison with most others, it's easier to make fun of.

they so fuunny.

Guest glasse

Of course all people can be moral, or immoral. Each person is a creature of God, and we are made in His image. God, and a concept of goodness are two different things. A non-believer can believe in good for many reasons, social responsibility or harmony, a sense of right and wrong. Not just out of fear of punishment or reprisal, (this is where the article is in error.) I know many people who don't believe in God, or maybe even think they might but don't prescribe to a certain religion, and they still have a moral and ethical code and believe in right and wrong. This was never the issue.

Imagine you were pulled over for speeding. Now on most days you leave for work on time and drive the speed limit and want to obey rules of the road. You don't want to cause an accident and generally you just want to be a good, law abiding citizen. On one day you are running late, and you decide to try and get away with speeding because you don't want to get to work late and possibly be written up. A cop pulls you over. He decides you were going fast enough he needs to write you a ticket and can't let you off with a warning.

Now generally in human courts, if you did have a good record and never got in trouble, it may count for something (it does with God too, but only to a point). However, if you were going fast enough to get a ticket, there is no way you can say well don't all those days I drove the speed limit cancel out just this one time I sped? I mean it was just one time! The judge will look at you and say, there are no bonus points for obeying the law, it is just what is expected of you as a citizen. Because you broke the law, you must pay the fine.

This is how it is with the Kingdom of God. God cannot simply overlook sin, or just say well, they never killed anybody, only stole once or twice, only lied here and there but usually with a good reason, I guess their good outweighs their bad and they are ok. He cannot allow ANY sin to enter Heaven. This is why we need Christ. Just as we inherited sin and death from the first man, Adam, God Himself came as the second Adam, and because He never sinned, He was able to take on Himself the sin of the world and become the final sacrifice.

Hebrews 10:7-10 (New International Version)

7Then I said, 'Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll—

I have come to do your will, O God.' "[a] 8First he said, "Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them" (although the law required them to be made). 9Then he said, "Here I am, I have come to do your will." He sets aside the first to establish the second. 10And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

There is NOTHING natural to me that makes me any better than any of you. I am just like you. The only thing that saves me is Christ himself. When God looks at me to judge me, He does not see my sin but instead the covering of the blood of Christ. Any good I do from here on out is again, not natural to me. It is all Him, and His sanctifying work in me.

Hebrews 8:7-13

10This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel (meaning not just Jews, but the spiritual Israel, including the ingrafted branches)

after that time, declares the Lord.

I will put my laws in their minds

and write them on their hearts.

I will be their God,

and they will be my people.

11No longer will a man teach his neighbor,

or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,'

because they will all know me,

from the least of them to the greatest.

12For I will forgive their wickedness

and will remember their sins no more."[c]

13By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.

who are you to judge christians?

there is a difference between admonishing words and judgment.

judgment is final, admonishment brings strong issues to light

so they can be worked on together toward solution. many christians hide

behind the word judgment to avoid things they don't

want to hear.

admonish, with love, understanding, forgiveness,

truth and wisdom, but without compromising the

truth.

and i was hoping this thread would consist of funny cut & pasted phrases off that site we all could lol at. fail.

"So can an atheist act ethically? Certainly, but he has no ultimate reason to do so"

:wtf:

First things first: to data: yes christians are hilarious, especially the bible and all its hilarious dungeons and dragons stories, but even better are buddhist sutras, which make absolutely no fucking sense at all and are just lists of gems you can find on the ganges river that gautama will sit on.

glasse, your whole jesus is necessary for any human to get into heaven cause everyone sins argument only works if someone buys into the idea of "sin" and for that matter the idea of heaven. If they don't believe in it, then you're set, and you pay your fine for the speeding ticket.

Here, read this that I posted in the Ben Stein thread:

is religion useful in the world? Yes

It provides an ethical/moral code for people to live by.

It provides a community of like-minded individuals to connect with.

It provides tradition with which people can feel connected to an even larger community than their immediate surroundings.

It provides a goal to reach, i.e. in helping sick people reach better health, ultimate goal of enlightenment (this falls under ethical code in some cases)

is religion necessary? No

In every single case, there are people in the world that find something in their life that satisfies these basic qualities that organized religion provides humanity. Does a non-religious person suddenly have no morals? absolutely not. Can you be part of a community of ethically like-minded people without a religious affiliation? of course. Can you have traditions in your family or otherwise that aren't tied to a certain faith? yes. Can you set yourself goals and do good work in the world without a certain faith in a supernatural power? duh.

Each religion in the world provides all these important qualities in some capacity or another, but each one comes with a completely pointless theology. They all have made-up stories, pointless limitations (only burkas, meditate all the time, no pork, the list goes on) and a huge overbearing history of bullshit that followers should conform to. Religions have also been known to start fights sometimes.

When you've got the important things that matter without following a faith, why anyone ever want to buy into all the Dungeons and Dragons bullshit that comes with a certain theology is completely beyond me. Just cut out the middleman and focus on what matters: living your life in an ethical manner and contributing back to your communities, from your family to the entire world. don't waste your time arguing about whether your god is better.

Here's the thing: Christians are always on about "how you'll never get into heaven unless you do this and this..." and I'm always "Whoa whoa. I thought it was the old man in the sky who determined who gets into this heaven place, not some Korean on a subway or a crank on a message board".

Recognize the difference between spirituality and Christianity.

Also, while the movie was pretty ho-hum, "The Invention of Lying" does a pretty good job of proving the point of how nonsensical it is.

antagonists are usually more highly visible than peaceful, loving beings. churchgoers i've known have been kind and loving people. buddhists have killed and atheists have sinned. the name we choose for ourselves does little to describe our behavior. generalizations are of little value.

all are alike in one thing: the desire for happiness and peace. would Christians be better if they loved and accepted everyone universally? if you think so, then it is time for you to love and accept universally, on your own. the change you bring about by your presence will be deeply meaningful and beautiful, and it will ripple outward just as evil does.

Guest my usernames always really suck

Speak for yourself, hippy.

Archived