IGNORED

Die Antwoord - Enter the Ninja

Guest chax

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
A short story about how we started DIE ANTWOORD.

NINJA, YO-LANDI and DJ HI-TEK started building Die Antwoord 5 years ago all on our own with a pc computer, some funky rap lyrics and a futuristik zef vision.We set fire to the South African underground in 2008 when people started hearing our spif new zef sound on the interweb.Even though though the big South African music festivals were too scared to book us, every single fokken car parked in the camping site at these festivals was always pumping Die Antwoord tjoons fucked up loud.Through our new zef music we also started making friends with some real soldiers who have stood by us through thick and thin like Zef Master Grif, the Wedding DJ's, DJ Solarize and WANGA.

We also started working closely with some fuckin talented photographers / cinematographers like Roger Ballen and Rob Malpage who helped us manifest a visual identity for Die Antwoord that was as strong as our music.All the music videos, short-films and photographic imagery we were creating was based directly on a full-length feature film we had been working on called THE ANSWER which is the story of how DIE ANTWOORD began.During this time we also met a kid called Sean Meterlekamp who took some photos of Die Antwoord.We became very good friends with Sean and let him into our inner sanctuary that not many people get access too.We also started telling Sean about a feature film we had been working on for the last 3 years called THE ANSWER.

Over the period of about a year or so we let Sean take photographs of Die Antwoord's zef style we were developing.We also gave Sean access to all our secret locations like the ZEF SIDE and DRAGON'S LAIR which was going to be the backdrop to our film.Sean became obsessed with our ideas for the film and asked if he could shoot a short video clip from our film to use for his portfolio.We were a little nervous about this at first but finally agreed to let Sean film us on the conditions that NINJA would have final cut on the short-film and would co-direct the film with Sean.Ninja told Sean he doesn't need to be credited for this, because Sean was using the piece to show-case himself.However we needed a very clear understanding from Sean at this point that we were the guardians of this world he was about to present with us.

NINJA, YO-LANDI came up with the name ZEF SIDE and the idea for the video clip which was based directly on the feature film THE ANSWER we were working on. We had recorded the BEAT BOY song 3 years before this. This song was very special to us as it was Die Antwoord's 1st song ever that our whole world poured out of.Sean organized some camera and lighting equipment.We all edited the ZEF SIDE video together with a friend called Haezer till it was nice and tight.We then put ZEF SIDE and ENTER THE NINJA onto DieAntwoord.com along with our raw $O$ album.

When Die Antwoord started getting a lot attention in February 2010, some of our friends were fokken proud of us and continued to stand by our side.However Sean started acting fucking weird.When magazines from all around the world started asking for photographs of DIe Antwoord we asked Sean for hi-rez versions of the images we had created together so we could pump them out. These weren't just ordinary photographs.These were over a years worth of super intimate art work that we had put everything on the line for to create.To our fokken amazement, Sean said, "No you can't have them."

Sean then told us the small time advertising agency he had recently signed to (after he took all these photos) said if anyone needs these photos of Die Antwoord, they had to contact them directly. They told Sean that they need all these new contacts that were sitting in Die Antwoord's inbox.This totally fokken freaked us out and we told Sean we have nothing to do with his new fokken advertising agency, but Sean just shrugged his shoulders and said he doesn't know what to do .

We then found out from other people that the owner of this small time advertising agency was this old evil alcoholic bitch with a long history of bad news behind her.Sean old drunk boss then started announcing to the press that 'Sean Meterlemp is The Answer' and that Sean 'created' this band.

We knew this wasn't Sean speaking when we heard these mental rumors. So we met with Sean in private and asked him nicely to sort this chick out and only deal directly with us like we had been doing up to this point.Sean told us that his boss is a fucking psycho and that he is bound by the contract he signed and that there's not much he can do about her lies to the press.At this point, we decided to just let it all be and not make a big scene.We were kind of let down that Sean didn't have enough of a spine to stick up for his 'friends' but we also thought, "Fokkit, let's just carry on making new shit...whatever."

However when we heard last night that Sean's mental bitch of a boss had told the Guggenheim museum that her new up and coming director was the mastermind behind DIE ANTWOORD we kind of lost it.Sometimes enough is enough.

With all this said, Sean is fuckin talented and a sweetheart, but in life it's good to keep it real, tell the truth, and stick up for your friends.

This is why we say, "A fake friend is worse than a wild animal because wild animal can harm your body but a fake friend can harm your mind."

And that's why we also say "Love all but trust no-one."

There you have it.

Straight from the horses piel.

Love from NINJA, YO-LANDI and DJ HI-TEK.

Once.

Onto the next.

Fokkit.

saw these guys for free at a record store on tuesday. they're surprisingly awesome live. i like that "IN YO FACE" track. also ninja.

Got to say I think its garbage and I think the guy is just a tad fucked up lol. Also the videos are horrible and just so depressing.

I'm guessing you only read the first post...

I just think the overall vibe I'm picking up from their music is one of frustration, anger, resentment and negativity

:cerious:

Right...I'd hate to see how you'd react to something like Cannibal Corpse...lol

Is it just me or is this whole thing smell like a new version of Mindless Self Indulgence?

I like it though. I didn't at first but its grown on me.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest thepilot

I'm kind of over this thing. It's cute and funny and not without some decent production but the gimmick wears off fast for me. It reminds me of that rocker guy who used to sing about partying and appear with a bloodied face on his record sleeve. Without the ironic wink and nod holding it up, in my opinion it falls rather flat. :mellow:

• 3 weeks later...

what are these guys up to recently? seems like they've dropped off the radar a bit as i haven't heard any news about them for a while.

they're making a music video with harmony korine.

Archived