IGNORED

An Electronic Tribute To Antarctica - Various Artists

Brandi_B

I'm adding zeros and id3 tags to the mp3 versions and will re-up tonight at some point since it was noted they didn't have them. FLAC should *hopefully* be available tonight as well.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great. After the first couple listens, South Pole Sirens and Drygalski Ice Tongue are my favourites, but I love each and every track. Thanks everyone (particularly Brandi B for putting this together). I will be listening to this a lot.

Brandi, you should send this off to various music blogs...

Yes, I have a plan for that. I want to get the ID3 tagged mp3's up first and get the music player on the webpage finished. Any suggestions of bogs/sites you know are welcome though :)

--------------

Looks like a lot of people were waiting for the FLACS. Traffic jumped up last night. It's at about 80 downloads now. I took off about 35% of the traffic number since some were likely people that got the mp3 and then the FLAC.

Nice! Thanks so much for putting it up as a free d/l. I will probably buy this at some point but at the moment I'm slightly broke, and as well I don't really want to wait for it to ship over here anyways. Will give it a thorough listen and if it's good enough I might even do one of my long winded track-by-track reviews.

Also, if anyone notices any errors in the ID3 tags please let me know!

I've never tagged stuff before since I prefer to just use windows folders and m3u files for my music organization. So this is a first for me. I double and triple checked everything, but another set of eyes can always be helpful. In itunes or any software that displays album art, the artwork SHOULD come up automatically even if you just load a single track.

I'm working on tagging the mp3's. I should have just tagged the wavs and re-encoded everything but hindsight is always 20/20. The flacs were encoded at level 8 so they should be and sound close to the original uncompressed wav quality. I used lame for the mp3's at 320 k with all filtering off and optimized for quality.

I used the FLAC front end for FLAC encoding, and MP3 tag version 1.45a for the ID3 tags.

Just because I would be interested if someone else were doing it:

Here are some statistics:

Compilation time: June 2009-January 2010

Total Hours: Lots

Total cost: $650 USD

Actions:

Accepting submissions. Many hours of listening to them all on random and doing my best not to notice who's track was who's, but that wasn't *always* the case.

Extending the deadline to get more of a variety and a better mix between down tempo and beat driven tracks.

Reviewing submissions again and making a spreadsheet of how it could all work out.

Selecting which tracks would make it onto the compilation.

Decision to make the compilation 2 discs instead of one, due to the quality of tracks.

Requesting privately to other members and non members for specific types of tracks (up or down tempo) to balance out the two discs.

Notifying accepted applicants, requesting a few songs to be shortened.

Requesting uncompressed files for mastering.

Organizing applicants email addresses, watmm user names, and artist names so I knew who was who.

Online submissions and polls for album cover, and title.

Beginning one of (i'm guessing) about 15 possible track flows. I used my dj software a lot seeing what songs would go into the next well, where there needed to be a down tempo break in the up tempo songs, and where attention might start to thin on the down tempo tracks.

Mastering:

About 60-70 hours total spread out over two months due to busy schedules. I was very involved with mastering and constantly took the days work home to listen to on my monitors and headphones.

Album artwork:

Cover was already done by Stoppit, hired someone to do the rest of the packaging, and they failed miserably and I eventually gave up on them and finished it myself (which is being re-done again after getting the last proof).

Final track layout, finish mastering, some last minute decisions

Purchasing of web server and cd proofs.

Final mastering payment.

Deducted money from attempt to do the cd packaging myself at kinkos.

---------------------------

All together the costs were about $650. Mastering, artwork, cd proofs, web server, and some more additional mixing and mastering. Since the cd service I'm using is a pay by order service, I won't have any more costs relating to them, with the exception of 1 proof I am going to get when the final artwork is done.

I say this just to share because this kind of stuff would interest me. I in no way expect any kind of return or special thanks for spending time or money. I did this for the experience and because there are so many talented artists on the compilation. I do appreciate the thanks, but my main goal is to promote the artists featured. Without their talent this would not have happened. :cisfor:

I just wanted to share stats since this has been a very public compilation and I think it is indeed anyone's business who wants to know :)

PS - A big thanks to Mr. McGriff for giving his grace for me to take over the compilation he started.

^ Holy shit this took alot more work than I thought. Many great thanks for your efforts, I can only imagine how satisfying it must be to have it all finished now.

edit: I started making a track for this collab but got lazy. In retrospect I really wish I had just plowed through and submitted it.

^ Holy shit this took alot more work than I thought. Many great thanks for your efforts, I can only imagine how satisfying it must be to have it all finished now.

edit: I started making a track for this collab but got lazy. In retrospect I really wish I had just plowed through and submitted it.

well, I'm not sparking the celebratory joint until the physical copy is out ;) but I do feel a lot better now that people have heard it :)

Guest we_kill_soapscum

i love William S Braintree's track. i am a big fan of your work Willy B. not all of it but most of it. please send me some of yr records so i can dj it on radio et al; pm me for email

everyone did a fuckin awesome job tho, after listening to this again. even the guy who stole my screename

Archived