IGNORED

Post your 80's masterpieces

Guest the anonymous forumite

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright here goes (minus the previously mentioned ones). As stated in the original topic, the 80s do kind of have a reputation for being a bad decade in music. We know that in fact there was some excellent music in the 80s, as proven by this thread. But I think it is true that most popular/mainstream music from the 80s is generally cheesy. For a long time, I really didn't have much from the 80s other than from a few key bands (mainly industrial and late 80s rock/metal). But over the years I've gotten into a good amount of stuff that is great, and there is still plenty to discover. Even some of the cheesy mainstream stuff has its merits.

The Cure - Seventeen Seconds

4185vPqiMnL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The Cure - Faith

419KTLEhBBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Descendents - I Don't Want to Grow Up

a34b228348a0dbad53d26110.L._AA280_.jpg

Fad Gadget - Fireside Favourites

c2aac060ada0da35c3943210.L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Faith No More - The Real Thing

6795f0cdd7a08cb20b738110.L._AA280_.jpg

Front 242 - Front by Front

01d0810ae7a0829db30a9110.L._AA280_.jpg

Fugazi - 13 Songs

31ejz%2BMb2yL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking

51-OubisMdL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Killing Joke - Killing Joke

61TgeGm7PXL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Meat Beat Manifesto - Storm the Studio

41y6I4DGExL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Metallica - Ride the Lightning

aeb4810ae7a01ea25de6c110.L._AA280_.jpg

Ministry - The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste

dda6a2c008a0213886146010.L._AA280_.jpg

The Misfits - Walk Among Us

51r%2BdWqJolL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

e7e2b340dca0aef707a9a010.L._AA240_.jpg

Pailhead - Trait

pailhead.jpg

The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta

e6d9124128a00fdafa9ba010.L._AA280_.jpg

R.E.M. - Murmur

61eDD0gKDRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Revolting Cocks - Big Sexy Land

REVOLTING+COCKS+-+Big+sexy+land++%28+1990+%29.jpg

Rush - Permanent Waves

16eda2c008a0fe44b2482010.L._AA280_.jpg

Rush - Moving Pictures

8060124128a074c1a2482010.L._AA280_.jpg

Skinny Puppy - Remission EP

bbf89330dca03ec68a803010.L._AA280_.jpg

Skinny Puppy - Cleanse Fold and Manipulate

51z%2BHANk0TL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Skinny Puppy - Rabies

514FAoxNoLL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Tendencies

3560228348a05b64b8373110.L._AA280_.jpg

Suicidal Tendencies - How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today

61bFyU7jiBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Yes - Drama

510kCB9P8AL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Guest the anonymous forumite

Alright here goes (minus the previously mentioned ones). As stated in the original topic, the 80s do kind of have a reputation for being a bad decade in music. We know that in fact there was some excellent music in the 80s, as proven by this thread. But I think it is true that most popular/mainstream music from the 80s is generally cheesy. For a long time, I really didn't have much from the 80s other than from a few key bands (mainly industrial and late 80s rock/metal). But over the years I've gotten into a good amount of stuff that is great, and there is still plenty to discover. Even some of the cheesy mainstream stuff has its merits.

It seems also that most 80s music seems to age badly compared to 70s or 90s music.

3560228348a05b64b8373110.L._AA280_.jpg

61bFyU7jiBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

aw, c'mon, these cannot be masterpieces.

i dont see whats so horrible or special about the 80s. it had amazing music and amazingly shitty music. just like any other decade.

and how well music ages is totally in the eye of the beholder

It seems also that most 80s music seems to age badly compared to 70s or 90s music.

True and I think it's due to production styles. Everything sounds rather thin whereas the 70s had a warmer sound.

aw, c'mon, these cannot be masterpieces.

Ok the second may be a stretch, but I like it a lot. The first is definitely a classic.

i think she has some kind of disorder that is causing her to post everything a thought crosses her mind

let us know when one crosses your mind.

does "fuck you" count?

fucking faggots

Have a nice 72hr break...

i think she has some kind of disorder that is causing her to post everything a thought crosses her mind

let us know when one crosses your mind.

does "fuck you" count?

fucking faggots

Have a nice 72hr break...

lol he probably needed one.

Please post what you consider essential records from the 80s. I know, it's not easy, the consensus on the 80s is that it's not a good decade for music. Let's prove this wrong, and plese keep it professional. I'll start.

madonna-true-blue-1986.jpg

What a bullshit post. So you think the 80's are no good for music? And then you think you will 'keep it professional' with something by Madonna. Hahahahah. Do me a favour.

Don't believe everything you read kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPm-1YMSyOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f668Ar9BM50&feature=related

one of the most epic songs..

Tear Garden is Ka-Spel and a couple others from the Legendary Pink Dots with Skinny Puppy

Good call, not sure how I omitted Tired Eyes Slowly Burning. Definitely their best album, too.

51G%2BnWZAvwL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Well, most people I know don't qualify the 80s an excellent decade for music. And I think that this statement is widely shared. Now, there was excellent stuff in the 80s but this decade is nothing comparable to the 60s, the 70s or the 90s, imo.

When you ask me to think about the 80s, I think of awful production and cheesy songs. However, when you dig deeper, you can find some excellent music and ideas, unfortunately hidden behind a not so sexy form. And the point of this thread is to prove this initial preconception wrong.

me thinks your 80s music collecting is quite meager

bye darknugz, please return with the username change of phatbudz

True and I think it's due to production styles. Everything sounds rather thin whereas the 70s had a warmer sound.

there are ridiculously inaccurate over generalizations , maybe this is true if the only 80s music you've heard is top 40.

sure there were production trends in the 80s, but plenty of good bands & artists strayed from this flock and did their own sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPm-1YMSyOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f668Ar9BM50&feature=related

Tear Garden is Ka-Spel and a couple others from the Legendary Pink Dots with Skinny Puppy

Good call, not sure how I omitted Tired Eyes Slowly Burning. Definitely their best album, too.

51G%2BnWZAvwL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Last man to fly steals it for me.

You on Litany per chance?

Please post what you consider essential records from the 80s. I know, it's not easy, the consensus on the 80s is that it's not a good decade for music. Let's prove this wrong, and plese keep it professional. I'll start.

madonna-true-blue-1986.jpg

What a bullshit post. So you think the 80's are no good for music? And then you think you will 'keep it professional' with something by Madonna. Hahahahah. Do me a favour.

Don't believe everything you read kids.

not such a huge fan of this album, but 'like a prayer' is a good, and downright weird, album in places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udiy5pZ3Kh0

especially this duet with prince.

which is basically a sign o the times era prince song.

Indeed, sidewinder03, same avatar. I don't post too often though, only when something's actually happening. I find it dull otherwise.

Indeed, sidewinder03, same avatar. I don't post too often though, only when something's actually happening. I find it dull otherwise.

My name might be the same on there. It's fucking shit. Most of the members are cunts.

there are ridiculously inaccurate over generalizations , maybe this is true if the only 80s music you've heard is top 40.

sure there were production trends in the 80s, but plenty of good bands & artists strayed from this flock and did their own sound

Of course it's a generalization, as all things are when talking about a whole decade of music. But two things: I think it's pretty obvious from my other post and from my even being on this forum that I've heard plenty more than top 40 out of the 80s (not that I think you were singling me out in such a way); and remember that you being a producer/musician and me not, we hear things differently...I have no idea about production techniques and what goes into making a recording, I just hear it. On the surface much of the music did have a thin/cold kind of production style, but you paying much closer attention to these things than I (and most other people) would hear a much broader range of sounds/techniques. Or something. :emotawesomepm9:

Anyway, just saying, yes it's a generalization because we're talking about a whole decade and how it is typically perceived, whether right or wrong.

My name might be the same on there. It's fucking shit. Most of the members are cunts.

Haha, true. It's only good a bit of discussion surrounding new releases, anticipation and such, then I'm out.

Archived