IGNORED

stereolab today's featured article on english wikipedia

Guest IRARI

Guest Masonic Boom

Yeah, there was supposed to be a Chemical Chords 2 and another volume of Switched On but who knows when.

Damn, we were trying to remember the name of the last album at the weekend. One of the people at the party had this theory that the quality of Stereolab records varies with the amount of yellow or orange on their album covers, and Chemical Chords was the exception to that theory.

I came across this earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XwvRPf4sb8&feature=related

I don't hate it, I'm a zen person, I can take it. But I dislike it enough that if I ever come across Editors in real life, I can guarantee the median average of their testicle allowance will fall.

I don't think his theory is any good.

edit: masonics friend that is. I can't be arsed to argue my point, just look at the covers and listen.

Guest Masonic Boom

I came across this earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XwvRPf4sb8&feature=related

I don't hate it, I'm a zen person, I can take it. But I dislike it enough that if I ever come across Editors in real life, I can guarantee the median average of their testicle allowance will fall.

Your avatar still makes me LOL.

But that Editors thing... just..,.. NOOOOO. That's so wrong on so many levels, how dare they do that to one of my favourite songs ever. How to suck all the joy and fun and energy out of one of the best songs in the history of forever and make it sound like a bad Joy Division copy no non nononon. ::going into bubble withdrawl now::

I don't think his theory is any good.

edit: masonics friend that is. I can't be arsed to argue my point, just look at the covers and listen.

Well, it was mainly because he pulled out one of their 12"s on YELLOW GLITTER VINYL and we just fell to worship at its feet.

It only really works as a theory because so many of their record covers were actually yellow or orange.

But then we got distracted by the "make up random fake Stereolab song titles and shout them out" game which is always good at parties.

Damn, we were trying to remember the name of the last album at the weekend. One of the people at the party had this theory that the quality of Stereolab records varies with the amount of yellow or orange on their album covers, and Chemical Chords was the exception to that theory.

Bizarrely interesting, the way it's phrased yellow/orange could = good or bad. All I know is that dots & loops is a pretty close to a flawless sterolab album and it's cover is green.

Goddamn I loves me some Stereolab. The amount of material they've released over the years is a blessing and a curse, so much good stuff but not enough hours in a lifetime :cat:

Guest Masonic Boom

JEEZ Stereolab's discography page is doing my head in. I kept thinking I was having an ophthalmic migraine but the words really *were* doing that.

yeah, the theory was yellow/orange album cover = good Stereolab. Because basically *all* of the first decade of proper albums or so had yellow or orange covers until Sounddust which was where most of us got off the Stereolab bus - which was Pink and Green.

I think Dots and Loops was allowed because it was an acid enough green that it was almost yellow. Mind you, we had had rather a lot of vodka by this point.

yeah, the theory was yellow/orange album cover = good Stereolab. Because basically *all* of the first decade of proper albums or so had yellow or orange covers until Sounddust which was where most of us got off the Stereolab bus - which was Pink and Green.

I think Dots and Loops was allowed because it was an acid enough green that it was almost yellow. Mind you, we had had rather a lot of vodka by this point.

I like Sound Dust- Captain Easychord?!?? But yeah, I think Dots and Loops is tops.

Guest Masonic Boom

Nah, I was never keen on Captain Easychord. All that awful Herb Alpert brass and the steel guitar interludes? Didn't do it for me. That whole album kind of passed me by.

2001 either wasn't a great year for music or a great year for me. I was disappointed by a lot that came out around then.

Soon as I have some money I'm going to be buying some more Groop stuff. I already have Transient Random Noise Bursts with Announcements and Emperor Tomato Ketchup.

Guest Masonic Boom

Come on, you need to at least connect the dots and get Mars Audiac Quintet! Those three albums are pretty much *the* Essential Stereolab.

Come on, you need to at least connect the dots and get Mars Audiac Quintet! Those three albums are pretty much *the* Essential Stereolab.

righto, chief.

I'm not a fan but I certainly find them enjoyable and respect their being so consistent and prolific at the same time. My only gripe is that they seem to have influenced Sean O'hagan a little too much. The High Llamas for me went from a great pop band that I loved to overly-twee copyists for a time. Cold And Bouncy in fact is one of my least favourite records that I own.

:blink:

sound dust is my favorite of theirs. the production is just flawless, it just feels like they were going for that particular sound and vibe and nailed it 100%, and i love that sound. black arts = :wub: and the first time the horns appear on space moth, that part gives me goosebumps

other 2 favorites are transient.. and chemical chords, which was a really cool comeback cause nothing really grabbed me after sound dust.

:blink:

sound dust is my favorite of theirs. the production is just flawless, it just feels like they were going for that particular sound and vibe and nailed it 100%, and i love that sound. black arts = :wub: and the first time the horns appear on space moth, that part gives me goosebumps

other 2 favorites are transient.. and chemical chords, which was a really cool comeback cause nothing really grabbed me after sound dust.

i didn't much like chemical chords, but i loved margerine eclipse

i had a conversation with a guy at the tortoise show about this

mary hansen had died before margerine eclipse but i still love it

it's probably my favorite stereolab record with dots and loops 2nd

Guest Masonic Boom

I'm not going to fault them too much. I mean, they had one of the greatest 5-album runs of any band of the past few decades. There are not a lot of bands that manage to be that consistent for that long. I think that something went out of them when Mary Hansen died, though. Although I like Chemical Chords, and it's a sweet note for them to end on, it's not quite the same level as their golden era.

I mean, how many bands do you know even whose B-sides & rarities compilations (what volume of Switched On are they up to? 3? 4?) are of such a high quality?

mmm good to see stereolab get some recognition up in here. dots and loops is one of the greatest albums ive ever heard. switched on, emperor tomato ketchup, mars audiac quintet.. all so good, god damn. their compilation of peel sessions is one of my faves aswell

Archived