IGNORED

how often do you restart your computer?

Guest tht tne

i just got a new computer (pentium dual-core e5400 @ 2.70 ghz/6gb ram); how often i should restart compy if i want optimal performance

it boots up pretty quickly but i just find it a bit of a pain in the asshole to shut down everytime i think i'm not gonna be using it for a while

that is a question that's impossible to answer without more details

for example, if you use firefox, it STILL has major memory leak issues. if you use chrome, it doesn't. this would be a big factor.

the same basically applies for any badly written, leaky applications* (soulseek used have a big problem with this)

*not calling firefox badly written btw

that is a question that's impossible to answer without more details

for example, if you use firefox, it STILL has major memory leak issues. if you use chrome, it doesn't. this would be a big factor.

the same basically applies for any badly written, leaky applications (soulseek used have a big problem with this)

memory leaks are something that i was reading on before i made this thread... the main culprit in my usage has seemed to be jdownloader

if your firefox is still leaky, all you need to do is restart firefox though, not the whole computer. I use Firefox 3.5.7 with some minimal extensions, haven't found many problems in the way of "leakage"....

I shut down my computer every night though, cause it's a laptop and I have to perform arcane rituals to get maximum battery life out of it.

once or twice per month, maybe.

Same here. Only for kernel upgrades.

Firefox has always been a memory mess. But I don't think Firefox actually "leaks" these days. It's just not good at releasing memory. When I go from 50 to 5 tabs the memory usage hardly drops.

Rebooting is not that important these days. You might as well just restart the programs that are taking too much resources. Even my Win7 laptop goes on for weeks (using standby) without acting weird.

Guest Fishtank

I put mine to sleep whenever I leave the house

otherwise it's always on

if you blow the dust out every week or so you'll be fine

once or twice per month, maybe.

Same here. Only for kernel upgrades.

Firefox has always been a memory mess. But I don't think Firefox actually "leaks" these days. It's just not good at releasing memory. When I go from 50 to 5 tabs the memory usage hardly drops.

Rebooting is not that important these days. You might as well just restart the programs that are taking too much resources. Even my Win7 laptop goes on for weeks (using standby) without acting weird.

i think it may have something to do with the "undo closed tab function", it probably keeps some (most of them ?) bits of them in the memory.

ever since i installed win 7 x64 i get complete system lockups about once a day

never had this problem under xp x86 and don't have it under ubuntu

i think it's dodgy RAM

ever since i installed win 7 x64 i get complete system lockups about once a day

never had this problem under xp x86 and don't have it under ubuntu

i think it's dodgy RAM

i'm running windows 7 64-bit and i don't get those lockups

Guest hahathhat

computers are like pets, you get to know their moods and foibles. even with that, you take them out to potty before you go off somewhere, just to cover your bases.....

i turn off my computer at night to save the world

Me too. And save on my electric bills.

Mine crashed about 5 times last night as I was trying to get a sodding MPD16 to work through my USB-midi converter. Sorted it now though. Seems to be a general problem with windows and the device.

Guest steveffisher

I only restart it if there a Mac update and it asks me to. Otherwise, I don't. I switch it off at night and turn it on again in the morning.

I haven't had a single problem since installing W7 64 bit last year. But I turn it off every night as the fan gets on my nerves when I'm trying to sleep.

Archived