IGNORED

You'd probably never guess what this is.

chaosmachine

i still can't get my head around records... with digital it's just as complicated but obviously you can think "well it's all 0s and 1s" and it's at some remove... with tape it's slightly hidden too being with magnetism.

but with records i still have absolutely no idea how you can get that much audio resolution into a spiral scratch on a bit of vinyl. that you get music by literally just scraping a needle through it....

I'm with you...it's wild! :crazy:

anybody ever looked closely at a Fennesz or COH record's grooves ? it looks fucking weird like a binary digital map or something, totally not analog looking

i still can't get my head around records... with digital it's just as complicated but obviously you can think "well it's all 0s and 1s" and it's at some remove... with tape it's slightly hidden too being with magnetism.

but with records i still have absolutely no idea how you can get that much audio resolution into a spiral scratch on a bit of vinyl. that you get music by literally just scraping a needle through it....

i'm still with you on this even though i know technically how it works, Tapes (audio and VHS) still weird me the fuck out because it's just magnetized microscopic sections of tape magnetized in the direction of a 1 or 0. Vinyl makes a little more sense because its something being that can be seen visually

Harder techno seems to lead to weird spiral patterns, I've always attributed this to the constant 4-4 bass being "out of phase" with the groove length if you know what I mean, but I'm not sure if that's technically the explanation. A beautiful and extreme case is Technasia's Final Quadrant (on the Nebula / Final Quadrant 12"), crazy spiral pattern almost like a circular saw. And the tune sounds just like the groove looks, by the way! Fascinates me to no end.

I've heard of people being able to read grooves but how good are they at it? Is it just determining the genre and general structure, or are they really "reading" the music with a magnifying glass, so to speak?

well you can look for breakdowns easy enough, and if its d&b etc, you can measure the length of each records intro, and play both from the beginning and they will double drop.

and the type of wobble on the needle and you can get needles jumping about. you can see that too.

also, because 45+45+45 = 135 and and 33.3333 = 133.3 you can get records in that speed and scratch and wip wop about and the record stays in time if you make one 360 revolution back for a 33 electro scratch record

you also used to be able to get this record that was blank with a picture of someone scraping a tune into it with a scalpel. my mate dave from egham has it. :emotawesomepm9:

anybody ever looked closely at a Fennesz or COH record's grooves ? it looks fucking weird like a binary digital map or something, totally not analog looking

i'm still with you on this even though i know technically how it works, Tapes (audio and VHS) still weird me the fuck out because it's just magnetized microscopic sections of tape magnetized in the direction of a 1 or 0. Vinyl makes a little more sense because its something being that can be seen visually

oh? isn't magnetic tape analog? irrelevant i know, but i'm just masonic booming.

This is going to sound patronising, but think of the different mediums as just being different ways to produce an electrical signal, not sound (its the speaker that produces the sound, obviously).

yeah but i can still glaze over it as being "well, it's just 0s and 1s"... which then needs something to read it i guess. i mean, it's still equally amazing but it being digitally based i can just sort of mentally account for it as "computers".

well the tape i was referring to is analog tape, the 1 and 0 part wasn't accurate on my part either these are just roughly the voltage directions the tape sections are magnetized in.

edit: yes VHS tape is analogue as well and it still weirds me the fuck out a lot to know how the data is being read and stored on analogue tape mediums

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

FloppyRom_Magazine.jpg

I know there was a vinyl video format that was in development but got killed right around the time Laserdisc was introduced.

Archived