IGNORED

lets tech talk

Plum

i want to go wireless, but i know dick all about it.

i currently have virgin media broadband 10mb connected to my laptop via ethernet.

on a good day i can hit around 600kbps when downloading a torrent (which is good, isn't it?)

will i still get that sort of speed with wireless? also, which brand of router does the watmm collective favour?

thanks in advance... and sorry for such a dry thread!

x

Is it fibre optic? If so I recommend D-Link DIR-655, it's cable though so make sure you have cable broadband! Then buy the D-Link Wireless N USB network card.

The router is easy to configure. Once it's in and you've set up all the details from your ISP there's an easy Wireless configuration wizard. Basically you'll just have to enter a Wireless network password. Piece of piss.

i want to go wireless, but i know dick all about it.

i currently have virgin media broadband 10mb connected to my laptop via ethernet.

on a good day i can hit around 600kbps when downloading a torrent (which is good, isn't it?)

will i still get that sort of speed with wireless? also, which brand of router does the watmm collective favour?

thanks in advance... and sorry for such a dry thread!

x

as long as you get a Wireless G router (also known as 802.11g) then you'll get exactly the same kind of throughput, although extenuating circumstances like thick walls, interference from microwaves/baby monitors etc can affect your signal.

i currently have a D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N router hooked up to my 50mbps connection. i was previously using a TP-Link TL-WR641G Wireless G which had a better range than the current D-Link i'm using, but it's ok.

Is it fibre optic? If so I recommend D-Link DIR-655, it's cable though so make sure you have cable broadband! Then buy the D-Link Wireless N USB network card.

The router is easy to configure. Once it's in and you've set up all the details from your ISP there's an easy Wireless configuration wizard. Basically you'll just have to enter a Wireless network password. Piece of piss.

my laptop is already wi-fi enabled. do i need that, is it specific to that router?

sorry peeps... i'm really not very bright when it comes to tech. :facepalm:

oh yeah... what is the difference between wireless g & wireless n?

the difference is the speed of the wireless connection. generally, Wireless G (802.11g) is 54Mbps and Wireless N (802.11n) is up to 600Mbps

basically, on a 10Mbps internet connection, a Wireless G router would be more than adequate for you.

Plummy Love,

One thing to consider after getting your wireless up & running is that to use certain programs like soulseek you need to (a) configure your laptop with a static ip and then (b) your router to allow connections on the required ports. And despite sounding like a typical watmm tech-talk pisstake this is indeed the bizness - if you go to portforward.com there are guides there for most every router ever made.

xoxo

Plummy Love,

One thing to consider after getting your wireless up & running is that to use certain programs like soulseek you need to (a) configure your laptop with a static ip and then (b) your router to allow connections on the required ports. And despite sounding like a typical watmm tech-talk pisstake this is indeed the bizness - if you go to portforward.com there are guides there for most every router ever made.

xoxo

hmmm...

*gets out of depth*

the difference is the speed of the wireless connection. generally, Wireless G (802.11g) is 54Mbps and Wireless N (802.11n) is up to 600Mbps

basically, on a 10Mbps internet connection, a Wireless G router would be more than adequate for you.

Wireless G = 54Mbps (1x adequate)

Wireless N = 600Mbps (11x adequate)

i'm no mathematician, but surely those numbers don't compute?

based on that, choosing wireless G over wireless N seems short-sighted.

Wireless G = 54Mbps (1x adequate)

Wireless N = 600Mbps (11x adequate)

i'm no mathematician, but surely those numbers don't compute?

based on that, choosing wireless G over wireless N seems short-sighted.

you have a 10Mbps connection, yes?

therefore a 54Mbps wireless router is 5.4x adequate. even on my 50Mbps internet connection, a 54Mbps router is adequate.

Doesnt the speed depend on what kind of wireless card he has in the computer?

yes it does but unless the computer is over 4 years old, i am going to assume that it has a Wireless G card, since Wireless B is ancient

Guest Dirty Protest

Anyone know a decent router with no drop in latency? Last time I tried about 2 years ago, they all seems pretty bad. I like to pretend to shoot people, but the cables are a pain in the arse, so ild like to lose them.

Guest futuregirlfriend

I always see the Linksys WRT54G recommended, and alternate firmware.

DjNXv.png

I use tomato firmware on my buffalo airstation for the scheduling and quality of service settings.

Guest pulsewarrior

For a good router at a good price, you can't beat a linksys wrt54gl. Put dd-wrt or tomato firmware on it and you're set.

Guest Dirty Protest

Thats annoying. I used an amazon voucher yesterday for pretty much the same price as the router and now im skint. But on the plus side im Left for Dead 2, Episodes from Liberty City and Survival of the Dead up. Didnt even know Survival was out, straight to dvd, poor George. But i'll definitely look into the router when my cash flow is a flow.

Archived