IGNORED

Autechre Berlin show

awepittance

anybody go? i'd love to hear how it was. I heard the sound was below the mark from a few people who went but overall it was very good. I'm especially curious about what kind of set OST did

the OST set was pretty good!

started with a pretty sick broken hiphop beat. he then kept adding distortion/noise through slow delays until it turned into noisy mess.. then took things out, dropped another beat, rinse repeat.. Sometimes sounded a bit like he wanted to be 2005/07 live AE when using some faster, acidic stuff.

is there an album by him which sounds like that? i only know Waetka which doesn't really have beats...

see the other thread about my opinion on Autechre that evening...

sounded really fun, how was the AE set?

check out Dalglish - Ideom or Dalglish - Otjhor , both very beat oriented

Waetka is an ambient album he put out at the same time as a very beat driven experimental album on my label, it didn't get much attention because it was under his lesser known pseudonym, Waetka was a proper OST album (but it doesn't sound like most of his other stuff under this name)

sounded really fun, how was the AE set?

check out Dalglish - Ideom or Dalglish - Otjhor , both very beat oriented

listening to Ideom, nice! The live set was indeed more a bit like that in terms of permutating loops.. though much more b-boyish, kinda 'groovy' even. It fit well with Didjit's dark old school hip-hop which had some tracks also present in Ae's recent FACT mix.

in fact o.s.t wasn't opener but the last live-act after ae and a short intermission by rob hall which wasn't a wise choice imho since it made his set pale a bit in comparison, which suggested itself all the more since it was kinda similar to what ae had been doing, quite untypical really, maybe more like old rook stuff, very beat heavy and at times almost straight up danceable, although it deteriorated more and more as the set went on... surprisingly many people kept moving their bodies in some way or another til the end, i had the impression he was very well received. it's not like i didn't, it was really ace, i just expected someting entirely different and felt a bit too tired for ANOTHER breakbeat-assault.

ae set was pure punishment. i was standing pretty much at the front-left corner, right next to some speakers during and after the haswell "dj-set" (in-joke?) which i really enjoyed, if you knew the live salvage records u knew what to expect. spaceship-war noise. still, even after that when the first ae-bass hit i felt like my inner organs where imploding and had to move to the middle of the dancefloor. fucking relentless. overall to me it was like 10x as intense as the 05-08 "riff" based livestuff, it seemed alot more improvised and all over the place with some straight pumping parts standing out, like the beginning (awesomely vile "uncanny valley"-tempo), and the infamous "gabber" part, the rest was all completely fucked-up breakbeats, pretty fast with permanent variation, just the moment u thought you'd get into a groove they'd move on...

only after a while when my ears accustomed to the constant bass attacks i could concentrate on what was going on underneath. alot of arpeggiated melodies, sometimes kinda reminiscent to tunes like redfall, but really that's where similarities to the album end.

so much for "accessibility" and ae growing old and teethless, ha!

also, despite the insane volumes to me everything sounded very crisp, sometimes it was like u could reach up into the air and "touch" the more trebley/ "hi-hat"y sounds (nope, just weed and alcohol that day). after a while i just closed my eyes and banged my head softly while constantly grinning like a retard. still really love the idea of playing in darkness, soon you'd forget everything and everyone around you, it makes the live experience a really "personal" one, even admist a crowd. then it all just suddenly stopped. i was gladly destroyed.

it was more a kind of ritualistic sound-event than "listening to music", in this case i can really understand why they wouldn't want people listen to a soundboard in their comfy homes, it just wouldn't work like it did.

of course i'll try to grab as many bootlegs as i can anyway :)

glad you enjoyed it.

i felt the venue was a bit too hard for Ae. They didn't play it. Usually it's a dark place of sleaze and (homo)sexual sweat, rhythmical meat. Autechre didn't move more than a handful of people. You could tell from the very beginning when Rob Brown was already on his laptop and nobody bothered to exclaim excitement..

would you have endured that sort of "pure punishment" by any other act?

sure. i'm generally not aversed to masochistic pleasures, enjoy quite alot of noise music like insinuated in my haswell comment, and other loud, retarded music styles like some black metal etc etc.

yes, it' a hard and oddly convoluted place, to me quite the epitome of berlin bleakness-chic. music was cold and hard, too, so that's a fit in my book :)

about the crowd reactions: hm, tbh i have no idea, didn't even notice or pay attention really, at that time i was quite wasted and hypnotized, busy with my own movie of the evening in my head. there probably wasn't alot of dancing going on, sure as hell i couldn't get into most of the grooves, but it didn't bother me at all -> :braindance:

it probably helped that i didnt go there with a "party" mindset in the first place. knowing the album i expected a rather "paychedelic", spiritual experience and i totally got that, albeit in a way i hadn't anticipated :)

for those who are interested in hearing more OST or Dalglish, i found this net label that has over 54 minutes of unreleased music of his for free, from around 2006 i think.

http://www.adozen.org/releases.htm

then go to "> adz008"

or if you want directly 256kbps download link here

or flac here

I was at the Berlin show too. Didn't really get into it. Nobody was dancing, place was a bit too packed for me. I liked some of the music but would have preferred a more danceable set (call me old fashioned), I actually left before they finished. I enjoyed their older live sets more.

Archived