IGNORED

The Wikipedia Effect

Bob Dylan

The Wikipedia Effect (from urbandictionary)

def: Wikipedia Effect is the tendancy for inquisitive people to become

caught in an endless series of pages on the popular open-encyclopedia,

"Wikipedia", to which they are forced to read every single page they've opened.

Motherfucks, I'm so tired of being caught in that. It's fun yeah, but you don't you feel fucking ashamed of yourself when you find yourself with 14 Wikipedia Tabs just awaiting you to read them, probably opening 10 others, bookmarking 10 others since you don't have time to read them all.

I mean, FFS, just look at this moment :

Red_Book_of_Westmarch

High_School_High

Story_within_a_story

Bob_Vila

Cold_opening

Professional_foul

Hard_Drivin'

Equation_of_motion

Yoyodyne

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

I don't even have time to wank anymore ZELAHLOL

my roommate used to do this all the time on acid or E

I'd wake up to piss at 4 in the morning and he'd be like "dude did you know there's a college in the Mall of America?"

my roommate used to do this all the time on acid or E

I'd wake up to piss at 4 in the morning and he'd be like "dude did you know there's a college in the Mall of America?"

irl lol

dramatica is just too angry for my liking. I understand that's the point and I do enjoy it sometimes but generally every article is like " is a piece of shit liked by overweight faggots who live in their mum's basement"

I can see that. Check out their portal on Wikipedia for some real nerd rage.

dramatica is just too angry for my liking. I understand that's the point and I do enjoy it sometimes but generally every article is like "<x> is a piece of shit liked by overweight faggots who live in their mum's basement"

I can see that. Check out their portal on Wikipedia for some real nerd rage.

Its kind of interesting when you want to know where a certain meme comes from and where it all went but there is up to 0 quality control (of course not) so many pages are just like you said

Guest Coalbucket PI

Just recognize that not everything you read on there is necessarily true.

That makes it worse for me, I follow a bunch of Wikipedia links and then I feel the need to verify it with other sources

TV Tropes seems like it is trying to be addictive, the way they ceaselessly use their own obscure terms without explanation means you can hardly read an article without needing to look up some of the words in it

That makes it worse for me, I follow a bunch of Wikipedia links and then I feel the need to verify it with other sources

Yeah, that and the talk/discussion pages where people are arguing about the claims, POV of the article, etc.. makes for countless hours of edutainment!

Really though I kind of prefer wiki as at least it has those resources out in the open. There's accountability built into it.. by comparison when's the last time you saw a page in the Brittanica flagged for inaccuracy.. most people just take it as gospel when it isn't necessarily more accurate at all

big image and link to tvtropes

Yeah tvtropes is the end boss of these things.

TV Tropes seems like it is trying to be addictive, the way they ceaselessly use their own obscure terms without explanation means you can hardly read an article without needing to look up some of the words in it

I find that part of the fun.

Yeah, that and the talk/discussion pages where people are arguing about the claims, POV of the article, etc.. makes for countless hours of edutainment!

Really though I kind of prefer wiki as at least it has those resources out in the open. There's accountability built into it.. by comparison when's the last time you saw a page in the Brittanica flagged for inaccuracy.. most people just take it as gospel when it isn't necessarily more accurate at all

the thing with wikipedia though is that it's deliberately trolled, and most of the contributors are not experts.It's great reading stories about world renowned experts not being allowed to contribute their own edits because it's original research.

the thing with wikipedia though is that it's deliberately trolled, and most of the contributors are not experts.It's great reading stories about world renowned experts not being allowed to contribute their own edits because it's original research.

truth. and on the other side of the coin you have people like sasha grey who totally game the system to increase their own exposure.

yeah or politicians who try to remove criticism from their articles, that kind of stuff. it's hilarious when they get caught, too.

but that's why the talk pages are so nice.

as for research articles i think that rule is completely 100% fair. you should only be able to use research that has been published in peer-reviewed journals, otherwise you'd be wading through articles published by every joe who decided he figured out the mysteries of the universe on his first trip. featuring such wonders as 'joe's theory of free spiral oblivion orgone energy'.. because like spirals, they're everywhere in like nature, man.

:facepalm:

yeah or politicians who try to remove criticism from their articles, that kind of stuff. it's hilarious when they get caught, too.

but that's why the talk pages are so nice.

as for research articles i think that rule is completely 100% fair. you should only be able to use research that has been published in peer-reviewed journals, otherwise you'd be wading through articles published by every joe who decided he figured out the mysteries of the universe on his first trip. featuring such wonders as 'joe's theory of free spiral oblivion orgone energy'.. because like spirals, they're everywhere in like nature, man.

:facepalm:

So let's say Einstein wants to post on the Quantum Physics page. Who does he cite?

Archived