IGNORED

best post-fragile nine inch nails tracks

Fred McGriff

Guest uptown devil

i like pretty much every track off of 'We're in This Together', especially parts 1 and 3. The Perfect Drug will always be my favorite NIN song, such a great video too.

i don't care for too much else post-Fragile, though.

what did you all think of that Saul Williams album he had a hand in - 'The Inevitable Rise and Fall of Niggy Tardust!'? i'd actually forgotten about it until just now.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one man's trash is another man's treasure

Is this a Trey reference?

i was thinking exactly of trey when i wrote that, yes

Do you have that cd?

I think downward spiral is best but I like the fragile more. I like the slower funkier stuff best. reptile is def a fav

Guest tht tne

one man's trash is another man's treasure

Is this a Trey reference?

i was thinking exactly of trey when i wrote that, yes

Do you have that cd?

no, but thanks for asking... there may have been a time when i would have paid money for it but not anymore

Guest tht tne

Lol. It's as trashy as boxing days nin rankings

i don't take any issue with Boxing Day's nin rankings, unless he was being facetious, which = trolling, even on happy-go-lucky watmm

lol @ Boxing day, but yeah opinion, opinions.

I was a massive nin fan as a teen, obviously not so much now. I still have TDS as instrumentals on my mp3 player tho, and when they come up on random, I am quite often still impressed. (I like hurt better w/o vox)

I liked a fair bit of ghosts but no tracks from the top of my head stand out or anything.

with teeth - (the way too quiet synth solo bit)3:40 - 4:18 is the best thing on that entire disc. right where it belongs is an ok song (and the best on there), but it sounds all muffled and a bit yuck production wise.

I like zero sum from year zero, it's pretty epic with nerdy scifi lyrics, pretty good. some nice delay glitching on the snare drums too, even if it was 6 years too late to the party.. also in this twilight gets honorable mentions for pig oinking noises, pretty fun.

yeah, zero sum is my post fragile pick.

I'm just sad trent didn't go idm and grow up with us like radiohead more or less did fairly successfully.

I hate the fragile and the fragile era stuff (Still was a piece of shit ,sorry).

I actually like his Post-fragile stuff more .

From Best to Worst.

Year Zero - 10/10

The Slip - 10/10

With Teeth - 10/10

Broken - 10/10

Ghosts - 9.5/10

TDS - 9/10

Pretty Hate Machine - 8/10

The Fragile (I hate this album) - 2/10

I respect His pre-fragile stuff and i like the sound of it , but i can't relate to it , the atmosphere is kind emo-ish which makes me puke an ocean. His newer is stuff is much more relatable , the atmosphere is more upbeat (which i appreciate) , and like someone previously said , the "new nin" is kind of scifi-ish/space opera.

Magnets?

Miracles!

and I have to agree with Boxing Day...

I am a fan of the post Fragile material as well...

The Slip not as much, the second half is damn good though....

Fuck you Robbie and Fred!

I am listening to Robert Wyatt's End of an Ear right now....

I can listen to whatever I want!

Man I don't like where this thread is going

TDS sounded so inspired at the time- yeah I guess its a bit serious and dramatic but the music man, the music, such sweet original sounds and textures. I thought it was internet fact that this is best! :emotawesomepm9: some amazing guitar sounds too. I suspect Rez may have just had the right people working with him on TDS in retrospect. A bit of an amazing creative accident.

PHM- 5/20

Broken 8/10

TDS 10/10

FDTS (european 7/10) (US 4/10)

Fragile 8/10

The Perfect Drug 5/10

Things Falling Apart 0.5/10

WITHTeeth 1/10

Year Zero 5/10

YEARZEROREMIXE0RD 0.5/10

Ghosts I-IV 6/10

The Slip 4/10

There's some stats, but yeah I really don't have time for any of this nin shit anymore. It's a bit like; who bothers to listen to Come to Daddy pappy mix anymore..

When you make an album like TDS, it will always be hard to ever follow something like that up.

Radiohead said the same about OK Computer, they knew they would never top it so they u-turned and went all electronicky. (For better or worse). Then none of their following releases would get compared as much.

Trent should of gone folk-rock! Though I thought Year Zero had some good moments.

Guest thepilot

It is amazing how many people have gleaned their current musical trajectories through some or another association with reznor. Those two aphex tracks on the downward spiral remix record were pretty influential. I give him respect for having the creative vision to include those tracks. Those nin remix records of old had a definite industrial edge (fixed, further...) with the coil involvement and whatnot. Regardless of whether or not the aphex tracks were 'true' remixes or simply two tracks tossed into the nin canon for shits, the very inclusion illustrates reznor being somewhat ahead of the curve at this point. The american union of warp and nothing records gets a lot of shit (no ep 7 bonus noise?????WTF), but I feel if the gesture was made with anything less than honorable intentions, it resulted in exposing citizens of the United States to a few records that would have normally flew under the radar as costly imports. I believe at many points in his career, reznor was/is capable of understanding what exactly constitutes interesting work but he has failed in executing just that in terms of his own output. Therein lies the paradox. He had the foresight to expose a bunch of proto-emo industrial types to the music of Ae, Plaid, and Squarepusher during the nineties and then released the fragile in 1999-2000 which was so far behind those artists in terms of musical vision that one is forced to wonder about the nature of the artist's quality control in terms of his own work. Of course this problem is hardly exclusive to reznor but it is interesting to note the rather crucial role he had in shining a light on a form of music that would become so important to so many here.

Guest Greg Reason

The Fragile and The Downward Spiral are the only two consistently brilliant albums he ever did.

With Teeth is an utter piece of shit. No defending it, it's not possible. Even TR knows this and has all but admitted it.

imo Year Zero is the closest he's come to a truly great album after he got off drugs/alcohol. But alas it still suffers from a commercial bent that seeped into his music during the WT era. The two singles are particularly wretched.

But there is still 'The Greater Good', 'In This Twilight', 'The Great Destroyer', 'Vessel' and 'Zero Sum' to make up for it.

Ghosts I-IV had some great stuff on it but it's not really an album. And The Slip is a dodgy, rushed piece of trash that was made so he had something to give away free rather than so he had a great album. Not a single genuinely good piece of songwriting on it, just half-assed NIN-by-numbers. And modern NIN, not golden era NIN at that. Very disappointing.

Guest Greg Reason

I reckon everyone who likes the fragile has had big relationship problems and still can't get over it.

Or their grandmother died (Fragile trivia)

Or they like atmospheric music with tons of layering, cool sound design and fuckin awesome synth lines

I was under the impression that David Carson himself was behind that, probably for some ironic artsy person reason.

Speaking of which, I do quite like the visual style NIN went with during that era, with the whole "chopped up ultra close up pictures of flowers" thing.

I hate the fragile and the fragile era stuff (Still was a piece of shit ,sorry).

I actually like his Post-fragile stuff more .

From Best to Worst.

Year Zero - 10/10

The Slip - 10/10

With Teeth - 10/10

Broken - 10/10

TDS - 9/10

Ghosts - 9/10

Pretty Hate Machine - 8/10

The Fragile (I hate this album) - 2/10

lol you have terrible taste

Archived