IGNORED

how clichéd is the glitchy/stutter/IDM sound these days

soundwave

Guest chunky

it was american teenagers making something nothing to do with aphex twin then pretending it was the same style

lucky ceephax/analord showed them the truth

the truth is to go back to obsessing over Ronald gear? I love both of their output but what the hell. Im guessing your post was in jest

you conflating acid with general electronic music whose history goes back to late 1800s

ceephax/analord is acid forms mostly but the ideas in that music applies to the whole of electronic music from this point forward

the important point now is for people to do electronics, build our own everything... synths, drum machines, etc etc

things will be less Roland 303, more WATMM 5000 Ultrasynth

the truth is to go back to electronics and music...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chunky

ps hahaha all sesame street people

thats what they all said in 2003 about analod ideas before analord came out

it's not the glitches that bug me... it's the randomness.

in fact I quite like the glitch aesthetic, but it seems to have been adopted by lazy people that can't tell the difference between intent and controlled randomness.

you conflating acid with general electronic music whose history goes back to late 1800s

Have you been drinking again?

Guest Calx Sherbet

yea about the late 1800's, but what...?

Guest chunky

xxx:

britishelectronicmusic.co.uk

in the uk we used to have british airways, british rail, british gas, british telecom etc etc

all with cool logos and designs

basically the name is just an aesthetic decision and a small protest at prime minister thatcher demolishing the nationalised industries of britain

all people from all countries/nations/etc welcome... :shuriken:

"I came to electronic music for the sound but I stayed and continue to stay for the concept of no nations, no boundaries, no races, no Jews, no Arabs, no Catholics, no Protestants, in some cases--no faces."

hmm!! yes... the name is an aesthetic decision and small (miniature) political protest... and maybe a slight protest against the fake american genre called 'idm'... actually it's quite funny how you can mean one thing and people take it as another meaning that wasn't intended :cisfor:

yes britishelectronicmusic.... not rolandelectronicmusic :-D

Guest Masonic Boom

I came to electronic music for the sound but I stayed and continue to stay for the concept of no nations, no boundaries, no races, no Jews, no Arabs, no Catholics, no Protestants, in some cases--no faces. Just the dancefloor or your bedroom with headphones at full tilt. PLURalism, amirite? :cisfor: xxx just came up with that on the dot, he'll be here all night folks, don't forget to tip your waitresses and try the pot roast....

I agree in theory, totally.

However, do you notice any ... omissions in your laundry list of diversity?

This is why "IDM" is kind of a red-flag term for me, signifying as it does, that it means Electronic Dance Music as made OK to listen to for straight, (mostly white), cis males - as opposed for all that "non-intelligent" Electronic or Dance Music as enjoyed by homosexuals, blacks, women, bisexual black trans women on welfare and tigers and bears, oh my.

In this whole PLURalism thing, what people leave out is often just as important as what they're "inclusive" about. Not having a go, XXX, just sayin', like.

only good comment is the intent vs. randomness thing. I get that a lot with vsnares like when he just randomly changes the nature of the sounds like just some beatboxing or dog barking or jello commercial out of nowhere where I imagine it could've been some glitchy stuff just as well because the intent is there. I love the fact that he can make like a mario coin sound sound sad somehow that is a better demonstration of musical knowledge to me than whoooa glitch madness it's out of controllll (semi-true story supposedly Twirl samples the mario 'oof' sound from Mario 64) also on the flipside he can make you dance like an idiot to samples of torture or whatever like it's the grooviest thing ever made

Milk remix is cool too what is that just some random lady comedian from comedy central? Essentially it's the same thing as like youtube poop auto-tune the news just making music out of the most mundane point in your life where you wish there were awesome choons going on except erm... more competently done

but that was the only semi-good point just make this dream music you want to hear so badly you fgts

Guest sirch

in fact I quite like the glitch aesthetic, but it seems to have been adopted by lazy people that can't tell the difference between intent and controlled randomness.

everything is controlled randomness.

please stop talking about plur, before you know it we'll have frankie bones trolling the forum.

everything is controlled randomness.

i think you know what i meant.

but if it makes you shut up: "yes, you are right... very clever lad"

• 1 month later...

This is why I'm so excited for Macc & dgHon.

lots more where that came from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcnQquAueQc

New 20 track album by Polska ^ out today !

Audio compilations of CD1 (D&B) & CD2 (Downtempo / Breakbeat / Jazz) below in the youtube videos below ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ryWHLMkGyE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fnHMdjLtQ4

... as for the whole glitch thing - it's like alot of things in music, some people use it as a default option, whereas others use it if and when it's needed to get across an idea. If it's used by the former it's usually a bit crap and if it's used by the latter it's usually more inspired !

The big problem is the clutter (that surrounds all styles, aesthetics in popular electronic music).

• 6 years later...

This is why I'm so excited for Macc & dgHon.

lots more where that came from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcnQquAueQc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-glvjB9egk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwxo_A1eCwc

Christ man, thanks for making me have another crisis e.g. so much great music > bank statements. Seriously though, tight shit, you took my words and sourced out exactly what I'm down for. Duly noted cisfor.gif

it was american teenagers making something nothing to do with aphex twin then pretending it was the same style

now soon there will be some further electronics truth coming out then USA might do some proper music for a change instead of yuck autechre yuck or the yucky USA fake genres like glitch and idm yuck

out of all the "idm" groups id say the only good one was called nautilus on planetmu records. the rest were conned by fake philosophy of fake american idm genre. thanks god thats over. about time idm died, fake genre of america that it always been hehe.

cerious.gif indeed

regardless of whether or not that post was supposed to be taken seriously

the truth is to go back to obsessing over Ronald gear? I love both of their output but what the hell. Im guessing your post was in jest

I think Chunky is serious--I believe him to be the most nationalistic music listener I've seen on WATMM. It's no longer in his signature but he used to have links for two options: one was just "electronic music forums" and the other said "British electronic music forums". Now, he could be taking the piss; I still have his epic "Fart 909" drum machine customized for Warp Records complete with curled turd on top laugh.gif

No one would question the contribution of the UK (can't believe I'm talking about this lol!) to electronic music and that other producers of American nationality and beyond have been "schooled" by your national treasures of RDJ/Squarepusher/Vibert, etc.

But go ask them what got them started in the first place?

Detroit, Michigan (suburb: Belleville) 1985

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtkpjkpD8xQ

Southside Chicago, Illinois 1988

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFuujExs03A

Back to the Belleville suburb of Detroit, Michigan 1988

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcVdg3aZjGE

But, it's not even about that anymore--Germany was liberated and united in 1989 and embraced techno as their revolution music, the Japanese go weird and hardcore (Ken Ishii/Merzbow/Ryoji Ikeda/etc.), and it goes on and on.

I came to electronic music for the sound but I stayed and continue to stay for the concept of no nations, no boundaries, no races, no Jews, no Arabs, no Catholics, no Protestants, in some cases--no faces. Just the dancefloor or your bedroom with headphones at full tilt. PLURalism, amirite? cisfor.gif xxx just came up with that on the dot, he'll be here all night folks, don't forget to tip your waitresses and try the pot roast....

gotta say whilst rereading this thread I had to take a moment and take off my hat for one of GOAT posters of watmm history, XXX. damn. bravo and thank you.

back when people were writing what would know be considered a FACT thinkpiece left and right

just read this whole thread cuz you bumped it and every 2nd post i had do stop to check who wrote it to make sure it wasn't supposed to be ironic

srsly, 2 pages of people debating about "intent" or "randomness", likes it's 1950 or sth

I miss the days of dblue glitch abuse, at least idm felt somewhat relevant.

I didn't know it would end up a special interest hobby exclusively for virgin male basement dwellers on the spectrum, and the 8 other guys who procrastinate on watmm.

Cheap shots at virgins, spectrum surfers, and other species of outcasts aside, I think the idea of relevance itself is less relevant you're taking it for granted to be. What was interesting about "glitch" in the first place was the hedonistic aesthetic indulgence and that is fucking exactly what I want from art.

I still hold the naive belief that people, even "normies", will respond to Good Shit wherever it avails, even if it doesn't have sufficient likes/reposts for the Anointed Relevance Algorithms.

Archived