IGNORED

Crazy IDM as made by The Sun!

Guest Masonic Boom

Guest Masonic Boom

Apologies if this is jazzband, I did a search for "solar flares" and nothing came up.

Also - just to clarify, I do mean The Sun as in that glowing ball of hydrogen and helium fusion in the sky, not noted watmm poster TheSun (although I'm sure he makes nice electronik musics too)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7840201/Music-of-the-sun-recorded-by-scientists.html

SCIENTISTS TRANSLATE SOLAR FLARE ACTIVITY AND MAGNETIC LOOPS INTO COOL SOUNDING MUSIKS!!!!

Now that is one hell of an aeolian harp.

A prize to the first producer that samples those amazing sounds for a bangin' choon. :braindance:

Guest analogue wings

I heard somewhere that Kraftwerk were at one stage going to make an album out of the sounds of pulsars

Guest Masonic Boom

I love this kind of thing. I always wanted to make music out of the amazing sub-bass generated by earthquakes and techtonik plate movement, but apparently Pantha Du Prince beat me to it.

There is a lot of sound art out there that makes things out of bits of background big bang radiation and the like, but the sound of those solar flares is just incredible, isn't it? I hope there is an album, I'd buy it, too.

Check out Chris Watson's Vatnajokull from Weather Report it's a great 18min track mixed from his recordings made in the glacier.

Also Pod by S.E.T.I. uses a lot of astronomical sounds, e.g. the Crab Nebula, although many of the tracks are very short with only 4 or so being 'proper' tracks.

I've also got NASA Voyager Space Sounds on my 'save for later' list on eMusic, which may be worth checking out.

If you're interested in this sort of science ambient or whatever you want to call it then I recommend you checking out Jakob Kirkegaard.

From his MySpace:

Jacob Kirkegaard is a Danish artist with an interest in the scientific and aesthetic aspects of resonance, time and hearing. His performances, audio/visual installations and compositions deal with acoustic spaces and phenomena that usually remain inaccessible to sense perception. With the help of unorthodox recording tools such as accelerometers, hydrophones or home-built electromagnetic receivers, Kirkegaard manages to capture and explore "secret sounds" - distortions, interferences, vibrations, ambiences - from within a variety of environments: volcanic earth, a nuclear power plant, an empty room, a TV tower, crystals, ice... and the human inner ear itself.

A graduate of the Academy for Media Arts in Cologne, Germany, Kirkegaard has given workshops and lectures in academic institutions such as the Royal Academy of Architecture in Copenhagen and the Art Institute of Chicago. During the last ten years, he has been presenting exhibitions and touring festivals and conferences throughout the world. He has released five albums (mostly on the British label "Touch"). Among his numerous collaborators are JG Thirlwell, CM von Hausswolff, Lydia Lunch and Philip Jeck.

http://www.myspace.com/jacobkirkegaard

There's an excerpt on his MySpace profile from the stuff he recorded in Chernobyl and you can hear a short sample of his ice-recordings here:

http://www.fonik.dk/works/iceears.html

Yeah Jacob Kirkegaards's Four Rooms album is amazing - for something that's just recording natural resonances of rooms, it's surprisingly melodic and incredibly atmospheric (It reminds me of some of the ambience you hear in the Silent Hill games) . The only thing I'd change in that album is make longer fade in and out trails to each track - it's an amazing album to drift off to sleep to but when the next track kicks in it's quite jarring.

Yeah Jacob Kirkegaards's Four Rooms album is amazing - for something that's just recording natural resonances of rooms, it's surprisingly melodic and incredibly atmospheric (It reminds me of some of the ambience you hear in the Silent Hill games) . The only thing I'd change in that album is make longer fade in and out trails to each track - it's an amazing album to drift off to sleep to but when the next track kicks in it's quite jarring.

Haven't heard Four Rooms yet but I'll definitely look into it :)

He did an exhibition a couple of years ago where he recorded the sounds the ear makes. I saw the place where this was recorded and it's the biggest sound proof room I've ever seen. It looked insane - and of course sounded insane!

If you're interested in this sort of science ambient or whatever you want to call it then I recommend you checking out Jakob Kirkegaard.

From his MySpace:

Jacob Kirkegaard is a Danish artist with an interest in the scientific and aesthetic aspects of resonance, time and hearing. His performances, audio/visual installations and compositions deal with acoustic spaces and phenomena that usually remain inaccessible to sense perception. With the help of unorthodox recording tools such as accelerometers, hydrophones or home-built electromagnetic receivers, Kirkegaard manages to capture and explore "secret sounds" - distortions, interferences, vibrations, ambiences - from within a variety of environments: volcanic earth, a nuclear power plant, an empty room, a TV tower, crystals, ice... and the human inner ear itself.

A graduate of the Academy for Media Arts in Cologne, Germany, Kirkegaard has given workshops and lectures in academic institutions such as the Royal Academy of Architecture in Copenhagen and the Art Institute of Chicago. During the last ten years, he has been presenting exhibitions and touring festivals and conferences throughout the world. He has released five albums (mostly on the British label "Touch"). Among his numerous collaborators are JG Thirlwell, CM von Hausswolff, Lydia Lunch and Philip Jeck.

http://www.myspace.com/jacobkirkegaard

There's an excerpt on his MySpace profile from the stuff he recorded in Chernobyl and you can hear a short sample of his ice-recordings here:

http://www.fonik.dk/works/iceears.html

OMG! I heard this guy's chernobyl recordings on the radio once (YES THEY PLAYED THIS SHIT ON THE RADIO), but I never remembered his name. Cheers!

He did an exhibition a couple of years ago where he recorded the sounds the ear makes. I saw the place where this was recorded and it's the biggest sound proof room I've ever seen. It looked insane - and of course sounded insane!

I'm not sure but I think it's this album - http://boomkat.com/downloads/142288-jacob-kirkegaard-labyrinthitis?highlight=142290 . It's a tough album (well I guess more of a single being just one track), I didn't like it as much as Four Rooms but the concept is awesome all the same...

Guest Masonic Boom

Oh, I think it's hilarious. Both for how seriously some geek types take it, and also how much it winds up hardline atheists.

Guest Masonic Boom

Because most non-geeks don't even know what a boson is, let along a Higgs Boson.

So "god particle" gets across the idea that 1) it is a particle (i.e. a really tiny subatomic thing) and 2) that's it's somehow really really important.

In a way that even people who flunked high school physics can understand. I don't have a problem with terminology that helps popularise science in any way, so long as it's not dumbed down or new aged up. If it actually gets people excited about science, then I'm all for it. (Kinda like Prof Brian Cox defended writing a column for a tabloid.)

Archived