IGNORED

Venetian Snares

Guest ruiagnelo

1184513805_songs_about_my_cats.jpeg

Songs about my Cats is one of the best executed concept albums ive ever heard. mind blowing stuff and there really was nothing else like it when it came out (shit, ten years ago!). totally groundbreaking and opened a whole new world of music for me. every track feels like your having your eyes clawed out, recommended if your into the harder stuff.

Chinaski

[youtubehd]u26Ik4FbwkI[/youtubehd]

Neptalactone

[youtubehd]3qXW22cxuhY[/youtubehd]

Poor Kakarookee

[youtubehd]WkeUlJkQNKY[/youtubehd]

Pouncelciot

[youtubehd]a5ZKjIpmkSk[/youtubehd]

Cleaning Each Other

[youtubehd]NIwLr94C45A[/youtubehd]

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i like senetian vnares a lot. or i have in the past. i go through phases and maybe my current phase isn't so fond of his music -- but i'm sure i'll bounce back. that being said, i would second any recommendation for huge chrome cylinder box unfolding. that's a great album. there are a lot of gems on it, in my opinion.

there are tracks on every album he puts out that are good. but i would say hccbu is the most consistently "idm" of all his albums. if you can find it (and you can... on google) A Giant Alien Force More Violent & Sick Than Anything You Can Imagine is really nice as well.

the thing with vsnares is he's quite prolific -- almost to the point that he puts out too much stuff (or at least stuff he maybe shouldn't put out). but if you take him with that knowledge, there's really no reason to bash him *shrug*

edit: all of that being said, i see a lot of people recommending his less-accessible or less-enjoyable stuff. maybe just for overal gnarity, i don't know. i think you can work up to things once you've developed a bit of an appreciation for him and what he does, but i'd not recommend starting with winnipeg is a frozen shithole or fuck canada, fuck america. i think you'll just ignore it as some lame attempt at making idm/breakcore/[some other genre] which is primarily noise.

Winnipeg is a Frozen Shithole helped me appreciate his music because of the great track titles/album title/album art

Playing Prey for multiple hours with HCCBU playing in the background helped me appreciate the music, too

i really like watching interviews with him. actually, thinking about writing responses here has lead me to remember so many things i like about venetian snares. songs about my cats!

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Winter in the Belly of a Snake.

Feel like it's one of his most cohesive albums ever - a good variety of tracks that seem to fit well together. Easily one of my faves, though Chrome Cyclinder and Rossz Cglyaw myermsms is great too for all the strings and the "little white flowers" tune if naught else.

Winter in the Belly of a Snake!!!!!!!!!! OH I FORGOT! Yeah, that's a GREAT record.

LOL, forgetting about it isn't really saying anything in its favor. never heard it.

Winter in the Belly of a Snake!!!!!!!!!! OH I FORGOT! Yeah, that's a GREAT record.

LOL, forgetting about it isn't really saying anything in its favor. never heard it.

hahaha, you'd think so, I just don't really listen to too much snares these days, but really, it is good. I'd say a tie between HCCBU for #1.

Snares is basically an artist that is good in small doses, he just puts out such large doses.

HCCBU is the one that's got the most longevity.

yar, it's not gimmicky at all. Neither is Winter though... I'd check it out.

Yeah, Winter was like 400 releases ago - so hard to keep track when the dude releases like 15 albums a year. It was the first VSnares album that I heard which really felt like a solid, proper album, not just a random sampling of ideas, or, as sneaks says, not just gimmicky.

I believe he released it soon after his father died (the first track pretty much directly references this) - might have something to do with the tone being more . . . mature? emotional? I don't know - whereas some albums seem like a good headfuck this one seems like at least equal of a heartfuck.

winter in the belly of a snake is really something special ..such a draining listen.

i dont care for most of snares' stuff, especially what he's doing in the last couple years but he has done some fantastic stuff for sure. cylinder box, that tweaky sketchy "the unthinkable" track, "mercy funk", the billy holliday thing, or the manic jazzy stuff on that "badminton" ep,it'd be great to hear some more of that!

Guest Billov

ruiagnelo: Just started listening to his stuff myself. Slowing getting through a couple albums at a time. Been enjoying Chocolate Wheelchair and Detrimentalist. Rossz Csillag too, but I definitely agree about Vsnares in small doses. I couldn't possibly listen to more than 2 albums in a row, and I generally only feel like banging his stuff out really late at night when I'm working on something, keeps me focussed while sleep deprived ;D

ive got filth, rossz, chocolate wheelchair and horsey noises, all good stuff. Dont think I will get too much more of his releases though, enjoyable but like you say perhaps a bit too much in high doses

Guest ruiagnelo

Great to have someone in the same situation. i haven't started yet, but already know where to go from.

I couldn't possibly listen to more than 2 albums in a row, and I generally only feel like banging his stuff out really late at night when I'm working on something, keeps me focussed while sleep deprived ;D

In these cases i go for rdj's most heavy stuff or drum n bass. Really keeps the energy alive and sleep away.

I know that there is a huge acid backlash but I will always and forever appreciate it anytime a 303 merely turns on and despite haters, I happen to think he added some special textures to the 303 canon with "Filth". You haven't really heard "hard acid" until this album but since people just love to hate acid lately, take it as you will...

It also has some of the funniest track titles/concepts/samples, for instance:

"Deep Dicking"

"Calvin Kleining"

"Crashing The Yogurt Truck"

"Splooj Guzzlers"

One track is about a mongoloid alien who is "stuck on this planet" and "too stupid to get off it" and while that doesn't really square with the sensitive culture we live in now, I can't help but laugh and get delirious with the soundtrack as well.

"Splooj Guzzlers" competes with Aaron's entire discography for best sample:

"Hey baby I wanna give you head...with a condom on...and then...after you come...I want to drink it...from your...condom" and then it's headlong back into the truly "filthy" acid lines.

A winner imo

I really like what he did on Filth, it's definitely up there in my fav Vsnares releases. I also love the sample "Hours and hours of footage of two giraffes fucking" in the slowed voice, I was listening to Filth on the bus once, and I had to stop myself from laughing out loud at that moment, a few people looked over and gave me strange looks, if only the knew what I had just heard.

always wanted to hear A Giant Alien Force More Violent & Sick Than Anything You Can Imagine, but it's so hard to get for a good price.

all that said Winnipeg is a Frozen Shithole is a barrage of bitter hometown hatred, which i can relate to. very pure in its pestilence. recommended.

I fucking love 'Winnipeg' for the very same reasons. And 'A Giant Alien Force' is awesome, one of my fave VS releases. Sadly don't have the original phsycial release though, it looks amazing.

I think I'm very much in the minority but I love his later gabba stuff and frigging HATE 'HCCBU', I found it dull as hell. Give me his proper angry shit anyday.

Archived