IGNORED

ask watmm: commas

chaosmachine

We purchased the best fabrics from around the world and turned them into clothes for your convenience.

So, where do the commas go in a sentence like this?

Like so?

We purchased the best fabrics from around the world, and turned them into clothes, for your convenience.

Just wondering. The "and" is making me uneasy.

Guest the anonymous forumite

It seems to me that this sentence doesn't require any commas, unless you plan on giving it an effect of pause.

Maybe

We purchased the best fabrics from around the world and turned them into clothes, for your convenience.
...?

Sort of emphasises the bit that it's for whoever's convenience. I used to be decent with grammar, but when I grew into an adult I got shit at it.

EDIT: I would more agree with anon though.

Use the and or the comma, not both.

Use "" (quote-unquote) tags, otherwise what you just said is inintelligible.

Such as

Use the "and" or the comma, not both.

We purchased the, best fabrics from around, the world, and turned them into clothes for your, convenience.

99% of the time the 'correct' use of commas follows how you speak it.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

We, purchased the (best) fabrics from, "around the world"; and turned, them into clothes for, your convenience!

i wonder what kakapo would say.

He'd lament the lack of commas and turn his conspiratorial gaze upon the Lifetime Members Forum as being the the lock box where they are all contained.

Guest tv_party

that's the rule I follow. for the op sentence I'd probably use no comma. I believe that it's technically correct either way, but more economical and just as intelligible without.

i wonder what kakapo would say.

He'd lament the lack of commas and turn his conspiratorial gaze upon the Lifetime Members Forum as being the the lock box where they are all contained.

Oi Alison Moyet, shut your fackin' marf. My gaze is not conspiratorial, for I see the LTM for what it is, hence the plaintive yelp of a child upon seeing the Emperor's new clothes.

We purchased the, best fabrics from around, the world, and turned them into clothes for your, convenience.

This would be correct if and only if it applied to oral speech.

Usually grammar has a set of strict rules one has to follow. Commas have a function: to disambiguate, to make clear who is the subjet of the sentence, to make recursion possible, etc...Commas organise meaning.

Usually grammar has a set of strict rules one has to follow. Commas have a function: to disambiguate, to make clear who is the subjet of the sentence, to make recursion possible, etc...Commas organise meaning.

There's no contradiction between these two points.

i dunno bout no commas, but this discussion put me into a coma.

oh and dig this:

I get paid to do this shit.

That sentence doesn't require any comma's.

Archived