IGNORED

Reality isn't real

Guest chax

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting TED talk about how much of what we see are in fact what our brain thinks, rather than the actual light information that hits our retinas.

I've seen that one. Good stuff.

Interesting TED talk about how much of what we see are in fact what our brain thinks, rather than the actual light information that hits our retinas.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/beau_lotto_optical_illusions_show_how_we_see.html

if it's anything other than 20%, i call fake. :crazy:

This might be my little religion nowadays, the idea that we are all pats of a greater entity spiritually-wise.

I detest the new-age feeling around it, but it kinda explains a lot of things.

Ah fuck, heheh.... didn't read that whole thing, but this is a concept that freaks me out and is actually a serious neurosis of mine. My greatest fear is permanently losing my mind to a belief like this one (or worse).

This might be my little religion nowadays, the idea that we are all pats of a greater entity spiritually-wise.

I detest the new-age feeling around it, but it kinda explains a lot of things.

I as well believe in and enjoy the idea of a collective unconscious.

Guest ansgaria

I watched some new age sales pitch documentary on youtubes, could have been posted here, and there was one interesting thought that stood out. The idea was that we are all fragmented pieces of one consciousness and the sooner we figure this out all will be well, the standard new age shizzle. Well, one dude asked what if you were a omnipotent being, all knowing, eternal etc, what could you do for fun? Well that is to convince yourself that you are the complete opposite of yourself and thus we are created. Or something in that manner.

Pling. Bill Hicks.

This is fucking ridiculous. Perfection and imperfection, and for that matter, God, are things we made up. They are not part of the rules of the universe. The world exists and works based on rules that are concrete and thus extends in scale to both the infinitely small and infinitely large. If there's information we can't gather, it's because a) We're too big/small. or b) We don't have the ability to perceive/comprehend the information.

For example, we live in the 4th dimension, time. We perceive length, width, and depth easily and can see each point in the lines that make up a structure (provided the structure doesn't exceed our scale). We can't, however, see each point along the timeline of a structure's existence. We only get to see 1 point at a time and only a time that corresponds to our current position in our existence in time.

3rd dimension beings move across depth, not time, and can only see length and width at any one point of depth.

5th dimension beings can see all of the first 4 dimensions at any single point along the 5th dimensional plane.

PS: How coked up is this guy?

The universe is huge. Even if there was something conscious that had simulated it, they probably wouldn't have even noticed us, because we're tiny and inconsequential.

This argument, to me, is just as narcissistic as any religious philosophy I've heard. We're not important, we never have been, and once the Sun eats up the Earth, all the memory of our planet will dissolve as if it had never happened in the first place. Anything important we leave behind, Shakespeare, Beethoven, The Bible, Autechre, sandwiches. All gone.

The universe is huge. Even if there was something conscious that had simulated it, they probably wouldn't have even noticed us, because we're tiny and inconsequential.

This argument, to me, is just as narcissistic as any religious philosophy I've heard. We're not important, we never have been, and once the Sun eats up the Earth, all the memory of our planet will dissolve as if it had never happened in the first place. Anything important we leave behind, Shakespeare, Beethoven, The Bible, Autechre, sandwiches. All gone.

Except for the voyager 1, voyager 2, pioneer 10 and pioneer 11 spaceships.

And bacon.

Guest happycase

The mind is just a mechanism for labeling things. "We" don't even make decisions. "Consciousness" is just the completely surface level what-is-happening-right-now, including your mind's stream of interpretation. Everything happens automatically, without anyone making any decisions. Just a split second after your brain sends you off to do something or think something your ego, your conceit, comes in and says "I think I'll get a beer," and you think it was a "decision." It's just a label for what your brain-body is doing. This is phat news in neuroscience right now. Bet it wouldn't take most of you more than a few minutes to find an article on it.

Anyway, all that shit about "if it's a simulation then nothing matters" is for children, not IDMers. Just live your life, it's pretty extraordinary.

Except for the voyager 1, voyager 2, pioneer 10 and pioneer 11 spaceships.

And bacon.

vygrecord.jpg

edit: They'll probably bump into some space shit and get destroyed anyway.

Guest happycase

Also, I feel like most people haven't considered what "evolution" really means. Evolution means you are literally the fabric of the cosmos, "evolving," which you can also call "doing what it does." Your mother doesn't give birth to you, the cosmos does. The cosmos looks through your eyes and sees the cosmos. Like a big eyeball that grows out of the black space and looks upon itself. That's what we are (and it's not a thing, so i'm not reallyt alking about anything). Not "People" or any of that nonsense. Those are just labels.

Also, I feel like most people haven't considered what "evolution" really means. Evolution means you are literally the fabric of the cosmos, "evolving," which you can also call "doing what it does." Your mother doesn't give birth to you, the cosmos does. The cosmos looks through your eyes and sees the cosmos. Like a big eyeball that grows out of the black space and looks upon itself. That's what we are (and it's not a thing, so i'm not reallyt alking about anything). Not "People" or any of that nonsense. Those are just labels.

For all practical discussions of the matter, your mother did give birth to you, but yes, as Lawrence Krauss put it, "Forget Jesus, the stars died for us."

(related Krauss quote: "Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics.")

Guest cardan

I been hangin out at the lake drinking beers, snackin, and swimming, going to the scandinavian festival and to the dump this weekend... nothin fake or computered about it.. WUDDUP

Archived