IGNORED

God did not create the Universe

chenGOD

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

by "they" I meant me and by me I mean my reptilian form. :sorcerer:

i'll be waiting for u, i have shotguns, ..and camping knives. and an SAS survival book........ fucker !

what do we need to travel to another habital planet? Wouldn't it take like hundreds of thousands of years to get to these places?

there are planets that are habitable with the aid of technology within our reach.

yeah, if you dont want to go to mars there is another star 4.2 lightyears away

Proxima Centauri has been suggested as a possible first destination for interstellar travel.[21] A flyby en route to Alpha Centauri is a similar alternative that does not require a deceleration phase. Nuclear pulse propulsion encompasses several technologies which might enable such interstellar travel with a trip timescale of a century, beginning within the next century, inspiring several studies such as Project Orion, Project Daedalus, and Project Longshot.[54]

Although the Voyager program spacecraft are anticipated to become the first spacecraft to enter interstellar space, they move relatively slowly, at about 17 km/s, requiring well over 10,000 years to travel each light-year.[55] In comparison, Proxima is presently approaching at a rate of 21.7 km/s.[1] However, it will only come as close as 3.11 light-years, and then move farther away after 26,700 years.[2] Thus, a slow-moving probe would have only several tens of thousands of years to catch Proxima Centauri near its closest approach, and could end up watching it recede into the distance. The advent of ion thruster engines enables interstellar spacecraft faster than the Voyagers, such as the Innovative Interstellar Explorer proposal, but ion thrusters are believed to be too slow to get a working probe to another star.[54]

From Proxima Centauri, the Sun would appear as a bright, 0.4 magnitude star in the constellation Cassiopeia.[56] If current, non-nuclear propulsion were used, a voyage of thousands of years would likely require a spacecraft large enough to carry a population that could be used for colonization of a planet.

yeah, if you dont want to go to mars there is another star 4.2 lightyears away

Proxima Centauri has been suggested as a possible first destination for interstellar travel.[21] A flyby en route to Alpha Centauri is a similar alternative that does not require a deceleration phase. Nuclear pulse propulsion encompasses several technologies which might enable such interstellar travel with a trip timescale of a century, beginning within the next century, inspiring several studies such as Project Orion, Project Daedalus, and Project Longshot.[54]

Although the Voyager program spacecraft are anticipated to become the first spacecraft to enter interstellar space, they move relatively slowly, at about 17 km/s, requiring well over 10,000 years to travel each light-year.[55] In comparison, Proxima is presently approaching at a rate of 21.7 km/s.[1] However, it will only come as close as 3.11 light-years, and then move farther away after 26,700 years.[2] Thus, a slow-moving probe would have only several tens of thousands of years to catch Proxima Centauri near its closest approach, and could end up watching it recede into the distance. The advent of ion thruster engines enables interstellar spacecraft faster than the Voyagers, such as the Innovative Interstellar Explorer proposal, but ion thrusters are believed to be too slow to get a working probe to another star.[54]

From Proxima Centauri, the Sun would appear as a bright, 0.4 magnitude star in the constellation Cassiopeia.[56] If current, non-nuclear propulsion were used, a voyage of thousands of years would likely require a spacecraft large enough to carry a population that could be used for colonization of a planet.

hang on, stars are very different to planets! mars isn't habitable (now) from what we've seen. but, think about dropping a car randomly into the Earth's atmosphere... where the fuck might you hit? who knows. there are massive deserts on Earth and massive oceans and massive areas of ice. maybe they're just not looking in the right spots on mars. wouldn't be suprised! we need more missions to hit all over the planet. not just 1 little pretty display of money and science for tv.

I watched this TED talk recently where they estimated that there were about 100,000 Earth-like planets in our galaxy alone. Either way, I give us about 200 years before the human race is totally exterminated by viruses brought on by climate change, asteroid collision, or a nuclear-fuck-holocaust. Or Rapture LOL.

I love space colonisation theories! The only thing that depresses me is that I'll likely never live to see mankind colonise space.

That's all I have to say about that.

Archived