IGNORED

Beck - Sea Change

essines

Guest bitroast

i fucking love this album. it's a sort of a followup to mutations in a weird way, which is another record i love. round the bend is an uber-nick-drakealike though (putting it nicely :emotawesomepm9:)

the production on sea change is exceptionally good. incredibly rich and incredibly detailed. round the bend is like a next generation river man by nick drake. all the layers of reverb and delay on the strings, so incredibly good!

i only just re-discovered his cover of Your Cheatin' Heart. recorded in 2001, fans of sea change should check it out : )

i agree, i don't want to be an ass about it, but mellow gold and midnite vultures do not get the cred they deserve. modern guilt is actually his best since ssea change, the only problem being that it's overproduced by dangerfuckhead.

information has some incredible tracks, so does guero, but they really feel haphazardly put together. one of his best tracks is 'sorrow', but it was never released. massive shame.

i really really enjoy the acoustic modern guilt session posted on his website. no over production ! :)

also agree with sorrow being really good. would love to hear those songs (espicially sorrow, untitled song 2 + the nick drake covers) in high quality.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't hear the "overproduction" on Modern Guilt at all. I mean it basically sounded to me like the whole thing could've been done on an 8 track. Orphans, Youthless, Replica and Volcano are some of his best tracks, IMO. Plus some of the b-sides were fucking great - VAMPIRE VOLTAGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMvLMrSMitE

Actually now that I consider it, the big rocked out ending on Vampire Voltage really sounds like the Sex Bob Omb stuff he did for Scott Pilgrim. Awesome!

I don't hear the "overproduction" on Modern Guilt at all. I mean it basically sounded to me like the whole thing could've been done on an 8 track.

Pretty much. That's one of the aspects I liked about it, just as a nice contrast with the rest of his post-Mutations output. It was less of a grandiose statement, had more of a get-to-the-studio-and-jam-out-an-idea kind of vibe. I realize that was more the method employed on The Information, but on that one it sounds like each song was labored over for months... which in Godrich's defense, could mean they only spent a few days on each.

Yeah I mean, I love how the verse guitar part in Gamma Ray is just played on a single string. If that isn't a nod back to the more stripped down earlier days (Truckdrivin Neighbors, Totally Confused, etc) then I don't know what is.

Also worth mentioning - for anyone who liked The Information and Modern Guilt - Beck did an AWESOME 22 minute track for a Christian Dior fashion show in 2005 or so. Google is your friend. Go to it!

*Edit: Reason I mention this is that the track is chock full of bits and pieces from those two albums. Funky as hell.

You all need to hear Sea Change in 5.1 SACD. It's a refence album for many audiophile. Fucking amazing, Nigel Godrich hit all the right buttons of production.

p.s.: I changed my Sea Change album to include ship in a bottle as the ending, this way I'm not depress for the rest of the day!

You all need to hear Sea Change in 5.1 SACD. It's a refence album for many audiophile. Fucking amazing, Nigel Godrich hit all the right buttons of production.

p.s.: I changed my Sea Change album to include ship in a bottle as the ending, this way I'm not depress for the rest of the day!

Yeah, christ "Side Of The Road" is a fucking sad one.

Guest bitroast

shet, sorry for not upping it : P

But I know you're gonna try

To live without love by and by

But that's not living

That's just time going by

Going by, my love

But that's not living

Going by, my love

no sweat man. what year did he do this?

Guest bitroast

But that's not living

Going by, my love

no sweat man. what year did he do this?

2004, with nigel godrich (the information was reocrded round this time)

Guest disparaissant

vaguely related, some guy on what.cd ripped the audio from all of the beck record club videos and uploaded them somewhere:

Beck has been gathering some of his friends and casually covering entire albums' date=' then releasing videos of the recording sessions. I wanted to share them with y'all, but webrips aren't allowed, so I'm making the album available in the forums. It also has the notes he wrote about the recording process for a few of the videos. You can watch all the videos at beck.com/recordclub.

I went through them and ripped the audio out, edited out the bookend silence, converted to 192cbr, added tags and album art and up'd it to drop.io (download). I do this every time they finish an album (see below or, better yet, check my profile for the most recent list).

http://tr.im/beck8 VU & Nico

http://drop.io/recordclubLeonardCohen leonard cohen

http://drop.io/wg8imxo/asset/beck-s-record-club-oar-originally-by-alexander-skip-spence-160-zip skip spence

http://drop.io/vslekmw/asset/beck-s-record-club-kick-originally-by-inxs-192-zip INXS

(lemme know if this isn't cool mods)

Archived