IGNORED

Beck - Sea Change

essines

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sir Winston

Sorry essines nekta has to disagree with this, for a start 'A Harvest field by moonlight' and also 'One Foot In The Grave' are much better and to boot 'honest' than sea change. It is the album I gave up on him as a kooky beautiful artist and went into schmaltz feel so sorry for me tripe.

But that is my opinion, scavenger is a million miles better than anything he did on this album. Screw late Beck.

Sorry essines nekta has to disagree with this, for a start 'A Harvest field by moonlight' and also 'One Foot In The Grave' are much better and to boot 'honest' than sea change. It is the album I gave up on him as a kooky beautiful artist and went into schmaltz feel so sorry for me tripe.

But that is my opinion, scavenger is a million miles better than anything he did on this album. Screw late Beck.

Really not trying to sway you or make you feel bad for having that opinion, but wasn't Beck 24 when both of those records were released? Considering Sea Change came along at 32, that's a pretty long time to expect an artist as diverse as Beck to stay the same?

• 1 month later...
Guest Sir Winston

No offense taken, I can see what you are saying but for me sea change just felt flimsy and too honest it just didn't grab me. Time has proved me wrong but I even enjoyed the information that's how dedicated I am.

Beck is pretty much flawless, considering how long his career has been.

And the switch from Midnite Vultures to Sea Change was completely startling, but convincing. He's got skills.

• 5 months later...

No offense taken, I can see what you are saying but for me sea change just felt flimsy and too honest it just didn't grab me. Time has proved me wrong but I even enjoyed the information that's how dedicated I am.

Fair nuff! It isn't for everyone, that's for sure. My wife still prefers Midnight Vultures over all his other stuff, esp. the sadder things like Sea Change, which I love. But then again, I don't really think there's been much the man has done, early or late, that I don't like.

• 1 year later...

One of my favourite autumn albums this. Perfect for lounging about inside while the rain is pouring down.

Guest MastaN8

I read somewhere recently that he had a bunch of stuff he thought was better than sea change recorded on tape that was stolen out of the green room?

i love odelay, mellow gold, and mutations really grew on me until i eventually considered it might be the best of the 3. but i lost interest after that one and sometimes i consider 'catching up'. also- scientology is the perfect religion for this guy. he could have done an operatic telling of the story of xenu and how body thetans came to be, if say scientology didn't actually exist as a thing, and nobody would have thought the lyrics/story were particularly weird... for beck.

Guest MastaN8

Found it -

"When Sea Change was coming out, I felt like those songs were sketches for something that were a little bit more evolved in that direction. I mean, there are songs on Sea Change that I wrote when I was 19. So, after finishing that record, I'd written about 35 more songs in that vein, and had solo demos of them all on these tapes in a suitcase. Around that time, I was doing a solo tour and the suitcase got left backstage in D.C. I was never able to retrieve those songs, which I thought were so much better than Sea Change. Anyone could have those songs; somebody has them. [laughs] I don't want to name any names, but I thought I recognized a few of those songs over the years!"

Archived