IGNORED

90's hipsters - what did they look like

delet...

vintage clothing, as in actual old used clothing. in the 90s you could be poor and a hipster.

ahh yes, i remember that, old ladies dresses revived with plastic jewelry and dayglow stockings.

good grief, i remember buying some seventies dress shirts, i was into the lapel, thankfully i gave them away to my little brother.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the evolution of cool kid clothing in the 90's: Swatch watches, Zodiac brand shoes, Girbaud Jeans, Cavaricci Pants, Rayon shirts, Plaid button up shirts unbuttoned with sleeve rolled up, long sleeve shirts under t shirts with cool bands on them, ripped worn jeans, Doc Martin boots, long hair but shaved on sides and in back, nose piercings, way too many ear piercings, and then I started smoking weed so I don't remember anything except for the bad ass music I was listening to which we try to celebrate here............. :closedeyes:

the evolution of cool kid clothing in the 90's: Swatch watches, Zodiac brand shoes, Girbaud Jeans, Cavaricci Pants, Rayon shirts, Plaid button up shirts unbuttoned with sleeve rolled up, long sleeve shirts under t shirts with cool bands on them, ripped worn jeans, Doc Martin boots, long hair but shaved on sides and in back, nose piercings, way too many ear piercings, and then I started smoking weed so I don't remember anything except for the bad ass music I was listening to which we try to celebrate here............. :closedeyes:

in highschool i had long top shaved sides and back hair ... oh the shame, it's all comming togeather, what a cliche .. what a cliche :facepalm:

see what i'm saying here guys, do you see where this is going ?

Let us not judge lest we be judged. 'teacher, leave them kids alone'

It's funny. The whole "hipster" thing was totally different. I feel like back then, people divided into many more varied cliques.

There really wasn't such thing as a "hipster". Instead, your style was more directly linked to the music you listened to.

You were either a punk, a metalhead, a goth, a raver, a hip-hopper (or yo-boy), a houser (anyone remember that? I was a houser in 6th/7th grade) an grunger, a skanker, an alternative rocker, a dead-head or a stoner.

If you were trying to be any one of those things, you were called a "poser" (also known as a "poseur").

I remember calling many people "posers". With whatever you were, either you were living it or you were a poser.

Posers -> image.jpg

Now, from what I gather, either you are a punk, emo, hipster or a juggalo.

Also, jocks listen to heavy metal now. Fuck that. This world is going to shit.

Also, jocks listen to heavy metal now. Fuck that. This world is going to shit.

On a similarly weird note, in the 90's in brisbane there was a suburb called the valley which hosted alternate clubs and people, dance stuff to alternate rock. The people that went there were all chilled whatever they were into, we were just happy to have somewhere to go out that wasn't 'the city'. In the city, all the jocks and normals went to party, you used to have to have a collared shirt and sealed leather shoes (if you were a guy), to get in to any of the clubs.

Fast forward 10 or so years, and now the valley is filled with jocks and normals, wearing the same clothing aesthetic of t-shirts and whatever with sneakers that we did in the 90's. It's fucking strange. And with them come all the jock/normal problems of violence, and not being able to handle their alcohol et cetera.

So the alternative scenes are slowly migrating, but it's hard as brisbane really doesn't have multiple metro centres like sydney and melbourne. It's just a core surrounded by suburbs. This place called west end is picking up the slack with smaller music venues. and long may it stay inoculated from the slime masses. It's not the same though as having big pubs and clubs, but whatever, i never go aot eneewae.

Im old. Id say there was hipsters. It was attached to music more. I guess film /art students termed 'artfags' would fall into hipster. I liked i better then. We just bought everything at the goodwill and salvation army. There were no H&M;s or american apparels. I wore a lot of army shirts

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

like doug from doug (tv series) :crazy:

Don't you mean Judy?

judy01.jpg

LOL, that's some nostalgia right there. Judy IS a mega 90s hipster furealz

not being able to handle [one's] alcohol

ftw

well it seems like they can't handle their piss if they A) spew in cabs/on ranks, B) use being intoxicated as an excuse to fight anyone that looks different to themselves. C)sleep in parks/gutters/alleyways

i was really into aphex and squarepusher then too. Didn't care too much about alternative stuff. The punk kids were cool. Alternative music I guess was more underground cool in the 80's. by the 90's it was main stream

i was really into aphex and squarepusher then too. Didn't care too much about alternative stuff. The punk kids were cool. Alternative music I guess was more underground cool in the 80's. by the 90's it was main stream

Ahhh, we've found a 90's hipster, what did if feel like to walk amongst those not worthy as they tasted joy in what should have been your music?

you know, the majority of the 90's i hated "techno" ....i guess i fell into this idm scene at the right time, but it surprises me kinda that when i was in grade 3, aphex twin was releasing all his classic tracks. would have been a might headphuck if i heard aphex that long ago

Ahhh, we've found a 90's hipster, what did if feel like to walk amongst those not worthy as they tasted joy in what should have been your music?

Its true. I think i was a 90's hipster.. i didnt fit in a catagory really.. The hipster crowd these days I think came from the emo punk crowd in the 90's

Its true. I think i was a 90's hipster.. i didnt fit in a catagory really.. The hipster crowd these days I think came from the emo punk crowd in the 90's

you have two concurrent 'punk' scenes. Crusty core (us), and people with studded belt and wife beater shirts (them). One was just intresting new music in a vein, the other was some sort of commodity ready gift for record companies. So in '91 or whatever you have 'the year punk broke' being touted by sonic youth, and then 'punk' breaks on radio and it's an odd time shift of 70's punk cliches in look, with power pop chords changes, ala The hard on's or wotevfnor.

soz. ... too pissed for the thread, plz don't banish me to the valley. ;-//

high school was early 90s for me and like its been said there were just groups that dressed according to their music. hip hop homies, flannel grunge, skater punks, metal heads with drawn on denim jackets, etc. its was all very stereotypical.

i was never cool enough back then to have bought into those trends. i was just a nerd, and when i got older i was still a nerd but i liked good music. therefore i am way cooler than you guys.

Archived